cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search engine down 11-08-2019?

Can't seem to search eBay unless absolutely specific.  Not doing any general search.  Is it just me or is anyone else having same problem?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Search engine down 11-08-2019?

@anacapaequipment 

What kind of search are you doing? Using a bookmark or saved search, or just keywords and filters?

It is possible that you have some restrictive filter setting leftover from a previous search -- try going to ebay.com and entering your keywords into the search field and see if that gives you better results. Or possibly eBay is tinkering with categories or item specifics, causing searches that previously worked to fail.

If you have many exclusions or excluded sellers, this can cause problems for searches, too. Try dropping some exclusions and seeing if that improves things.

If you give me an example search, I will try the same search and see what sort of results I get.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

All day when we search nothing comes up.  For example we search to get comps for pricing.  We searched specifically Molecular Devices Aquamax 2000.  Nothing came up.  We then searched Molecular Devices which should show lots of items but again nothing.  I am not sure if we put something in our eBay that is limiting our searches or if eBay is having trouble.  I have, in the past, changed the search if I am looking for items from a specific seller and then it doesn't show all of eBay, but that is not the problem.  Thank you for your help!

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Using Molecular Devices

I get 577 items.......

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Molecular+Devices&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_fsrp=1

What browser are you using?

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Very strange.  I went in and just looked at advanced settings for my search.  I didn't change anything, and it started working.  My employee had to do the same thing and it cleared.  Really weird.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@anacapaequipment 

Are you using Chrome?

I have just seen a post from a user that said that switching from Chrome to Edge allowed searches to work.

Chrome 78 and 79 beta seem to be working for me, but it is possible that an older version of Chrome may be an issue. If so, updating to a newer version may help. Or there may be other factors at work (network? geographical area?).

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Having the same problem. No matter what search terms I put in the field, it just gives a blank results page. I'm using Chrome Version 78.0.3904.9 No wonder I've had no sales over the weekend.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@disneygurll 

The problem may be related to the default search settings -- sort order and items per page and such.

That might explain why only certain users -- the ones with the problematic combination of settings -- are unable to search. That might also explain why some browsers work for some users and not others (some browsers are better/worse at ignoring/using default search settings). That might also explain why signing out allows some users to search, as the default settings stored in their account no longer apply. That would also indicate that the new user default default (Best Match, list view, 50 items per page) should work.

Assuming you are able to get into your advanced search page, try changing the sort order and other settings at the bottom of the page and searching again. If you are able to get to a normal search results page, see if you can reach that customization setting in the "view" drop-down menu at the top of the results and change your defaults.

If someone having this issue can recall what their default search sort and items per page were set at, that might tell other folks which settings combinations to avoid.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I have been having the same issue since 11/8, and it has not resolved.

It is occurring on both of my browsers - Chrome and Firefox - even after clearing my cache.

Some people have reported slow sales over the weekend, so I wonder if this issue might be widespread.

Hoping Ebay will fix this since it is making it difficult for me to use Ebay.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply