cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drafts Not Saving Completely If Left Open Very Long

Anyone having problems with their drafts saving?  Within the past 2 weeks I've begun having a recurring problem with drafts.  If I start a draft and walk away from the computer for a time, when I come back to the desk and finish then save as a draft, the browser hangs at "Saving Draft".  I have to refresh the page or close the browser then when I return to the draft usually a lot of the information I entered is lost and has to be re-entered.  I've tried this on two different computers using both Edge and Chrome and it continues to happen.  Not sure how long it has to be open before this happens, but I've seen it happen in the time it takes for me to go make a cup of coffee to having a draft left overnight.  

I've updated my browsers, cleared my cache, and rebooted my computers and still it happens.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Re: Drafts Not Saving Completely If Left Open Very Long

We can contact eBay Tech support on the phone.

Also contact eBay via their Facebook page, where they respond within a few hours.

I would ask them to take a look at other ebay sellers describing the same issue by going to:

eBay community > Community Info > Share eBay Technical lssues > Drafts-Not-Saving-Completely-If-Left-Open-Very-Long

In doing so tech support will know this is not an isolated technical issue and is impacting many users.  

Message 16 of 46
latest reply

I've been experiencing this issue too, it's been a pain in the ass. I finally figured out a way on how to grab the text in your Item Description box in case this happens. I haven't tested this fully from the time it happens as I was trying to figure out today how to grab the text in the Item Description box. I happened to delete a few elements on the page with my browser but I doubt that it is needed in order to grab the text.

1. The page will indicate, "Saving draft...". It is actually not saving the draft.
  2. Right click on the page and you should see an option "Inspect" - at least on Google Chrome or similar browsers.
  3. Press Ctrl + F and type "rtediv". Mac users will need to use another command.
  4. Now you should be able to Copy whatever text you created for that draft and move it to a new draft.

Before you can copy the text, you may need to delete the box (i.e. element) that is saying "Saving draft..." and the grey background. I did not happen to copy the names of these elements down so it anyone that is technically proficient and runs into this error again before I do, feel free to list these two elements.

Hope this helps save some frustration! This bug has been a real pain in the ass - seriously! I'm sure you can all attest to that!

Message 17 of 46
latest reply

jalphoss
Rising Star

I am also suffering this glitch which first appeared for me in July. Has anyone had it fixed yet?

Message 18 of 46
latest reply

Thank you for the helpful tip! 

Message 19 of 46
latest reply

This post is from June but it is still happening in October!

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 20 of 46
latest reply

LOSS REVENUE for SELLERS and EBAY due to failing SAVE AS DRAFT software issue

PROBLEM: "SAVE AS DRAFT" TIMES OUT resulting in lost data that the seller entered.

When this happens from reading numerous complaints on this very issue many users walk away with frustration.   This obviously results in Loss revenue for both the seller and eBay.

I am strapped for time but will at least I will ask the staff over on the eBay Facebook page to take a look at what users are experiencing providing the direct link to this community feed. I have confidence they have the capability to get the issue over to the group who can correct the SAVE AS DRAFT TIMING OUT issue. 

This issue has been a big pain for me as well. There is never enough time in a day to do what I have to do and then this happens! 

Message 21 of 46
latest reply

You're very welcome! 🙂 I hope it has saved you some pain!

It happened today again where my draft froze! 😆🙄🙄😂😂

Message 22 of 46
latest reply

This has been happening to me throughout the year saving drafts.  I have had to redo them. Now I save whatever I do offline in word as backup. Even worse in the past since early 11/2/21 I have not been able to save templates at all no matter how long they're open. All the days before saving templates worked just fine. I've tried the usual remedies, clearing this and that, restarting, changing up to date browsers, as well as changing computers.

Does Ebay know they have a major glitch?  I and everyone else can't list anything without being able to save templates or drafts.

Message 23 of 46
latest reply

When the draft won't save, I make a pdf of the page before closing the browser. It's dim but legible. At least I can see what the photos were and what my description said. I wonder how many more months (or years) this problem will go on.

Message 24 of 46
latest reply

As far as I can tell, I can only save ONE draft at a time - the very latest listing revision is the only thing kept. I suppose if there are just a few items to list it might be manageable, but NOT if there are dozens of similar repeaters in different colors or conditions!

Message 25 of 46
latest reply

Yep, it's happening again. Drafts fail to save if you take too long to write them.

Appears that background save is working, but cannot see why I should rely on it. 

Ebay, your engineering is subpar. This needs to be fixed. 

Message 26 of 46
latest reply

I've been having the same aggravating problem for at least six months.  Sometimes the text disappears, sometimes the pictures disappear, but it's happening more frequently.

Message 27 of 46
latest reply

As of December 16th 2021, this is STILL happening. Lost over an hour of work on my listing. Clearly eBay doesn't care, as this have been reported since a long time now.

Don't worry though, their system for taking our fees on the other hand is flawless. 😡

Message 28 of 46
latest reply

Yes, as of 12.18.2021 drafts are not saving for me as well. If I do not save the draft within xx amount of minutes I will lose all the data entered. 

Message 29 of 46
latest reply

I'm very frustrated with this chronic 'bug; glitch' which clearly eBay doesn't consider a priority to resolve. Despite the ongoing complaint's (dating back to 2018 in forums), the technical engineer's don't appear to be concerned. As they say, 'same ole, same ole'! I have to write I'm grateful I found this thread. For 3 month's I've been in chat's with CSR's asking them why this is happening & what are they doing to fix it? I've spent more time in chat's with CSR's then I've spent entering data to upload listings. For month's I've experienced sporadic uploads. For a few hours I'll by grace of luck get 4-6 items listed than flick of a 'sell similiar', select a template or resume a draft, I get the spinning 'Saving Draft' (which isn't saving at all) or the 'dead air click' when I try to submit the listing. By far, much more fails than successful uploads of my listings. I'm a veteran 20 yr seller & I've experienced every glitch from Turbo Lister days through to the money managed system. Over all these years I've never seen a glitch that affects the actual SYI form & draft's as this one has for so many. 

CSR's who frequently deny there is an issue, reply with their scripts of the following reasons contributing to this specific issue:

1. "It's your computer".  My computer? I own brand new Apple desktop's & i-Phones since I run a business aside eBay....without any glitches! My computer.....rightttttt!

2. "It's the browser your using". Okay, I'm a MAC'er but have tried every browser, which are all updated. How about  eBay still hasn't made an effort to have their software harmoniously work with Safari despite million's of MAC users on their site worldwide. It's soon 2022 not 1992.

3. "It's probably pop-up's". So, I disable every pop-up, banner, ad, video as per CSR's suggestions yet eBay's pages are smothered with pop-up's, banners, etc. A-HuM!

4. "Have you tried filling out our 'Tell us what you think' form? WTH does my sending that form in have to do with your technical support fixing the glitch? I don't think you'd really like to know what I think eBay!

To end my novel post, in chat today 12/20th the CSR finally admitted there is a site wide issue. I wasn't told what they were doing to fix it. When they would fix it. What we can do to back door it, get around it, figure it out on our own. It was suggested I click the link sent to me in the chat box to voice my opinion. I had nothing to lose, I clicked it & the link was defunct. *ohhh sigh*.

Hullloooo out thereeeeee. If anyone has tips on how to function getting listings uploaded & drafts saved aside this annoying bug, please reply. TIA.

Message 30 of 46
latest reply