cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

periodic performance review with funds on hold

Hi there. Can anyone shed some light on what is a periodic performance review on eBay? 

Last Sunday I received a email to say my account is under a periodic performance review and my funds are on hold tho I can carry on selling. Spoke to ebay online to be told this will be 5 days tho if I upload tracking details they may be sooner. Today is the 5th day and my account is still under review and my funds on hold. Called ebay this afternoon to be told it may be today and if that's the case My funds be released tomorrow.

Anyone else had this happen to them? All my orders I've sent this week I still had to pay for the postage and packing of them and also rent and bills to cover my business. This week's profits ebay are holding so be going into next week without any money to buy stock. Very worrying from my point of view.

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Re: periodic performance review with funds on hold

@chemo_5854 wrote:

@bmpartswm wrote:

I do hope someone does help 🙏 

did you ever get your money yet? i am on a periodic performance review as well

Are you concerned?  When did it start.  From the threads I've read, the seller does get their money released in a few days.  Weekends probably don't count.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 16 of 41
latest reply

Allow me, I'll explain exactly what is happening. As the same thing is happening to me. It's LAUGHABLE. eBay, is holding payouts, to float as much money as they possibly can, for as long as they possibly can. eBay does and will, delay payouts, if your on a hold for delivery, they will intentionally, wait to process your delivery confirmation. (Which it shows delivered 24 hours prior, but they will not release it, until the very second, (as if by magic) they process your payout for the day. I've watched it happen. It was my last sale as a "new seller" though ive been selling on eBay for 10 years, I wanted the payment released so it could be put into processing with my other payout for the day. But as it was a 1,000 dollar transaction, eBay, waited, until the second they sent my 100 dollar payout for the day, then all off a sudden, the hold was released and I have to wait,  another 24 hours. They are so money hungry, and grimey with OUR MONEY.  It's OUR MONEY. NOT EBAY'S. what's funny, I just got off the new seller holds. And was finally getting payout for purchases. I have a GRAND TOTAL OF 50 SALES...   TOTAL, FOR THE LAST 4 MONTHS.  50. WITH zero complaints (from customers) but after 3 days.. 3... And 1500 dollars in payout I've been waiting to receive..   lo and behold, I am in a "periodic performance review"  and it will take 5 days... Meanwhile, they get to float all my payout money, again. No disputes. And a grand total of 50 SALES. In the last 4 MONTHS...  I can look through my sales in 5 minutes... It's 50.  How in the hell do you spend 5 days.  Looking through 50 transactions???? ..  it's all a scam man.  All of it.  The staff is not the to help you. No. They're there to hold YOUR MONEY FOR AS LONG AS POSSIBLE. PERIOD. 

Message 17 of 41
latest reply

@goddly_82I agree ebay has to be the biggest selling platform scam. If you are a new seller, selling high dollar items ebay does not trust you. Ive been on ebay for over 10 years and with this new managed payments. They have all kinds of holds, from periodic performance review, 5 day hold to review details, delivery holds, 30 day holds so incase the buyer doesnt have a issue with their order. eBay gives all the power to the buyer and screw the sellers! If the buyer has a problem with the order ebay will give the buyer a FULL Refund 99% of the times. And for sellers getting periodic performance review its a 50/50 chance of your account getting mc011 restriction. Ebay will hold all your money until you send in the documents and invoices. Ebay knows that everyone does not have a invoice for what they are selling. JUST SO THEY CAN KEEP THE MONEY! Tell me that is not a scam. I just sit and wonder how many sellers are selling expensive items and then get this mc011 restriction and they just cant supply ebay with the documents. your customers will have zero complaints, yet ebay will still hold all your funds. This has scam all over it!

Message 18 of 41
latest reply

@goddly_82 

Not a new explanation by a long shot.  Some comes from a lack of understanding on how MP works.  Some comes from not understanding the actual laws Ebay has to adhere to.  Some comes from not liking the Ebay rules on selling and/or simply not knowing them.  And some comes from simply disagreeing therefore they have to be correct and Ebay is wrong.

First thing to understand is Ebay does not actually handle the money.  They hired a company to take care of that end.  So Ebay gets no float or interest on money held because they simply do not literally have that money.

As to Ebay's cash flow.  With bringing all sellers into MP this was a tremendous cash flow boost to Ebay.  Not for reasons you state but for the simple fact that they are now getting paid for their FVFs right away.  The no longer wait 30+ days to collect them nor do they have to chase anyone to pay the bill.  This is likely the single most important thing for Ebay in regards to money.

The New Seller Rule has been around longer than MP has.  You would have had the same issues with this rule even if we still used PayPal.  While clearly you don't agree with the rule, it is a good one and is based in good logic.  

Ebay has no control over when your Delivery confirmation is recorded, that is your carrier.  Now Ebay system regarding this is not on real time, they have always updated the information on the site at a few different times throughout the day.  They pull the information directly from your carrier.

While you may be a 10 year member of Ebay, you have not been selling for 10 years.  You are what is known as a Casual seller.  Now there isn't a darn thing wrong with being a Casual Seller as this type of seller brings a lot of great things to the platform.  Casual sellers to not sell regularly and sell off and on throughout their membership on the site.  That is NOT the same as selling for 10 years.

In MP, when a payment is pending/processing, the literal money has not yet moved from the buyer's funding source into MP.  For the past couple of months this process has really improved and pending funds are moving much faster to Available funds.

IDK about how many sales you have had, according to your account that is available for public viewing there has been 28 sales in the last 90 days.  And there was one complaint about an item not arriving according to your FB.  IDK if they actually filed a complaint, but they did hit your FB.

Still, even if you did have one claim that is nowhere near enough to cause you any problems.

Periodic reviews take 3-5 days and sellers are selected randomly.  However if you are still in the middle of the New Seller or returning Seller's holds, it is stressful that they added this on too.  

The rule for the New seller and Returning seller holds spell out the process that will affect the seller.  Have you read through this policy to see if you can find something that may help you?

Message 19 of 41
latest reply

@kiahar-55  and @goddly_82 

Ebay's MP program is not a "scam", nor is it unusual.  All the bigger sites have their own money processing programs and have had for years.  Ebay is the last of the larger sites to implement theirs.  They all run similarly too.  Some differences as some require you ship before funds will move to Available and others not only require you to ship but the buyer has to receive the item and approve it before the site will release the money to the seller.

"If you are a new seller, selling high dollar items ebay does not trust you."  Why should they?

"If the buyer has a problem with the order ebay will give the buyer a FULL Refund 99% of the times."  Well that isn't exactly true unless you are allowing Ebay to decide your claims for you.  Then yes Ebay sees it as you don't care, they often will allow the buyer to keep the item and force you to refund them.  But that is when you aren't allowing the buyer to return the item for refund.  That is a simplified answer as there are all kinds of variables.  

"And for sellers getting periodic performance review its a 50/50 chance of your account getting mc011 restriction."  I'm unsure as to where you are getting that percentage.  I've only seen a couple of sellers post that this happened to them as a result of a performance review.  And if that happens, Ebay is seeing something that causes them concern.  Without seeing your selling account it is hard to say much of anything on this subject.  I do sincerely hope it all works out for you.

Message 20 of 41
latest reply

Oh. I never said this was a "new" answer. But it doesn't make me ANY less right...  I do understand the "New Seller" rules, and agree with them. To an extent. To stop scammers. I agree. But, it should be within reason. Open a BRAND NEW account? Absolutely, make sure everyone is on the up, n up. I've sold in the past. This year I've sold more. But the point I'm making, is I was on the "new Seller" kick for the allotted time, and transaction number.  Assuming that they keep a Stringent eye on all new sellers, you'd think, every one of these transactions made in this time frame are already proven, 100%. (As they wouldn't pay otherwise, yes?). My 90 days ended on January 15th.  So every transaction up to that date was ALREADY watched and accounted for. Right?       So why? After 5 days.... 5. And a total of 5 transactions.    Seriously, 5...

Why Am I suddenly, under performance review? Others have them removed and payouts released within 24 hours. 

But apparently, to go through those 5 transactions.  Takes 5 days...  (EXTREME SARCASM IMPLIED) I understand as eBay is now MP, and anti money laundering laws aside. There's no way, ZERO. That is taking 5 days to review that. And yes. eBay does have MY money the second the customer pays.  I was on a chat with an agent, as I've had to request a hold release, because it's updated as delivered on eBay itself, but payment somehow stays on. So I've had to request hold lifts for this same situation. I do this, so when the hold is released, and it can be processed and sent to my bank account with the other deposit amount already approved. 

I will reiterate. It was on eBay, as delivered. Had been 24 hours since delivery. I had a small deposit ready to be sent, which we know eBay does only once a day.  I wanted that 500 dollars released BEFORE they sent payout. But, as I was on the chat. The second my small payout was sent. The very instant.   The hold came off. But alas, I would have to wait... Another 24 hours until they payout again. We literally, watched it happen. It's obvious what they did. Blatantly so.   So you can think old Uncle eBay is your best friend.  But if you don't think they are making money floating OUR money in the meantime? Then you're not living in the real world...   They already make an incredible amount off of sales, 13% is insane. It should be price based. Not item. Any transaction under 10$. 20%  100$ 15%.  200 12% 300$ 10%.    But getting 12.55% not just for the item. No. They get 12.55 of the item, shipping costs, taxes, even. When you take that into consideration. They really take  much more. Of course their money is not held. No.. nope.  All of this, for nothing more than making sellers jump through hoops to get paid.  It's just too much. Then add in advertisements. Etc. eBay fees are 1/4 of any money made. Essentially.   Then they manage payments. Which adds ZERO incentive to actually payout anything. 

Message 21 of 41
latest reply

This has also happened on some of our official branded accounts. Monthly periodic review even when we meet all metrics, and usually they end up holding between $3000 and $5000 aud. I have spoken to the managed payments, it shouldn't happen, we will send a ticket, blah blah blah. No other marketplace does this. Of the the three times it happened, the first time also co-incided with a payout glitch where the payout they advised was paid, was not paid. On that one, I had to actually lodge a court action via small claims, and this got us paid, but it cost us $160 in filing fees - and of course, no point to have a hearing once we got the money. It's frustrating and disappointing that they don't realise how difficult it is for sellers that pay for freight outside of ebay.

Message 22 of 41
latest reply

I am extremely fed up with Ebay's constant policy changing but not to make seller to sell things easier, instead, they hold out money under the name of "performance review", had my money available on the 2nd of Feb, it's been the 7th still nothing coming in. 

On the other hand, buyers are having way too much privilege to cancel and getting refund. As a seller since 2014. I am losing my faith and trust to this media. 

2020 was probably one of the darkest period of time, customer service was completely out of reach. One of the item was late delivered so I had case on my account and I was forced to refund even I have provided the evidence of delivering by screenshots of my tracking. 

Now with the policy changing I am no longer able to get funds via Paypal. instead Ebay took all the selling fees and holding my money for a long period of time. With the layout at winter, selling things is the only income I am relying on. EBAY WHY  ARE YOU MAKING US SELLERS SUFFERING IN THIS PANDEMIC ??????????????

Message 23 of 41
latest reply

@lavidaloca1937 wrote:

I am extremely fed up with Ebay's constant policy changing but not to make seller to sell things easier, instead, they hold out money under the name of "performance review", had my money available on the 2nd of Feb, it's been the 7th still nothing coming in. 

On the other hand, buyers are having way too much privilege to cancel and getting refund. As a seller since 2014. I am losing my faith and trust to this media. 

2020 was probably one of the darkest period of time, customer service was completely out of reach. One of the item was late delivered so I had case on my account and I was forced to refund even I have provided the evidence of delivering by screenshots of my tracking. 

Now with the policy changing I am no longer able to get funds via Paypal. instead Ebay took all the selling fees and holding my money for a long period of time. With the layout at winter, selling things is the only income I am relying on. EBAY WHY  ARE YOU MAKING US SELLERS SUFFERING IN THIS PANDEMIC ??????????????

@lavidaloca1937 

On a random Performance review, Ebay holds our funds for 3-5 days.  So your funds should get released very soon.  Keep an eye on your Seller Hub under the Performance Tab the Summary report.

Better to refund a cancellation than deal with a return when the buyer receives the item and then decides they don't want it.  The Cancellation is much cheaper and easier.

Well there was a reason why that happened in 2020, so lets be fair about things.  People working Customer Service for Ebay have the right to be safe too.

If you lost a INR after tracking showed it had been delivered, then you should have appealed that claim.  If you didn't, that is up to the seller to do this when the case was decided incorrectly.

Why is Ebay holding your funds in Managed Payments?  There are several different reasons why this can happen.  What is going on with your account?  Have you provided them with your correct routing number, checking account number and SSN?

Message 24 of 41
latest reply

I am currently in contact with an attorney and am going through the process of initiating a class-action lawsuit against eBay for a number of their ever changing policies and practices toward sellers that are suspect and possibly illegal. They range from buyer fraud to holding funds for no legitimate reason. Once I'm up and running I will post a link to anyone who wants to sign up in this forum (among other places).

Message 25 of 41
latest reply

I too am currently headed to arbitration with eBay. 

back in February my account got put on a “periodic” performance review. Long story short that “periodic” performance review turned into an MC011 for selling gift cards, but at the time no information was given, at all. That suspension lasted until the 11th of March, and they held all revenue the entire time. All the while i was taking returns and disputes due to an inability to do business during those 45 days of being unable to buy or sell. Only thing i could do was use the on hold funds for the disputes and labels. 

For context i’m bootstrapping this as i tried to leave my job to start my own business. I organized into an LLC Feb 06 of this year. 

fast forward to the 11th of this month, just 10 days ago i got the nod to start selling again and the suspension was lifted. My very first sale, a Lenovo All In One was made the very next day for $1200. They immediately put that money on hold for 45 days. Yes, 45 days. Nothing was found out of order during these 45 days of being on suspension mind you, they just didn’t like me selling gift cards; in which i had sold four. 

Every other order i had since then has been put on hold funds wise until the order was confirmed delivered, with some being arbitrarily held for 30 days, and some longer. 

fast forward again to middle of last week i’m put on another “periodic” performance review where 0 funds are disbursed for five business days. all the while my attorney’s are meeting with them. I literally was just released from suspension less than two weeks before this second review. 

At current eBay is holding over 6 grand of my money. And for someone who can’t even get a credit card that is literally crippling. Today is supposed to be the fifth day. We’ll see if anything good comes from it. 

My experience thus far is eBay is more in the business of giving themselves interest free loans instead of facilitating a marketplace. What’s hilarious is the use the 1984 nomenclature that it’s “for your own good” and “safety” of the marketplace. 

When in reality i literally couldn’t buy groceries not to mention be able to buy inventory. 

What kills me about it is the inhumanity of it, in a literal sense. The lawyers at eBay keep telling mine that it’s completely automated by an algorithm effectively trying to keep their hands clean since it’s a machine making the decisions. That is wrong on so many levels. And furthermore it is accurate. As even eBay’s employee’s, not just their front line CS in the phillipines, but also their second and third line CS here in the states can’t even quantify it. 

My theory is that again, eBay is more than likely just giving themselves liquidity to make payroll or investor dividends or bond payments. 

All in all this has been a horrifying experience. I don’t understand where eBay derives the authority to hold anyone’s legally acquired funds for any length of time. But, alas. 

Good luck to everyone. 

@jarkmackson79 wrote:

I am currently in contact with an attorney and am going through the process of initiating a class-action lawsuit against eBay for a number of their ever changing policies and practices toward sellers that are suspect and possibly illegal. They range from buyer fraud to holding funds for no legitimate reason. Once I'm up and running I will post a link to anyone who wants to sign up in this forum (among other places).

@jarkmackson79 wrote:

Message 26 of 41
latest reply

Seems it's a way eBay can collect more interest on our money. There is no reason why our funds should be on hold. If you do not like my performance fine eBay! Terminate me, but don't hold my money. I find holding a seller's money insulting  and a strategy in which a thief practices. More sellers should join me and complain. Something I just did contacting eBay payout dept.

Message 27 of 41
latest reply

@sewstrong wrote:

Seems it's a way eBay can collect more interest on our money. There is no reason why our funds should be on hold. If you do not like my performance fine eBay! Terminate me, but don't hold my money. I find holding a seller's money insulting  and a strategy in which a thief practices. More sellers should join me and complain. Something I just did contacting eBay payout dept.

Except Ebay doesn't handle the actual money.  So they can't earn interest on money they don't have.  You need to learn more about how MP actually works.  

One of the easiest things for you to check would be on the Seller's Fee policy page.  There and many other places Ebay tells you they do NOT earn interest on our held funds.

Message 28 of 41
latest reply

This happened to me too,   their system had just gone downhill ever since PayPal & eBay went separate ways.

As a matter of fact,  My account is under review right now before my funds are released,  updated tracking information,  and eBay support told me it would take about 5 days to complete review.   very unfortunate 

Message 29 of 41
latest reply

@joala-7885 wrote:

This happened to me too,   their system had just gone downhill ever since PayPal & eBay went separate ways.

As a matter of fact,  My account is under review right now before my funds are released,  updated tracking information,  and eBay support told me it would take about 5 days to complete review.   very unfortunate 

This is a normal thing in MP.  They randomly select sellers to do a spot check of sorts to make sure everything is moving along correctly.  This performance review will have you money on hold for 3-5 day.  While I don't agree with that, it is what they do.  You'll likely be fine in a couple of days unless they find something that concerns them.

Message 30 of 41
latest reply