cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay not using PayPal anymore?

I got a message from eBay saying to update my account details.

"It’s now simpler to get paid on eBay

Getting paid has changed: Fees and expenses will be deducted before you get paid out and the remainder of your earnings will go directly to your bank account, not your PayPal account. Get set up in a few easy steps."

I primarily just tend to leave all the money I receive in my PayPal, so I wanted to ask for clarification: does this mean sellers can no longer use PayPal as a means of payment? We have to store the money in a bank account now?

I also saw something saying eBay raised their fees. Is that also true? 

Thanks for clarifying.

Message 1 of 496
latest reply
495 REPLIES 495

Re: eBay not using PayPal anymore?

It makes for a much more dangerous transaction.  Right now if you ship the order using a verified address by paypal you are covered.  If someone is not going to use paypal you are going to see CC scams soar.  Paypal has protection has been the best part of Ebay.  Without that not sure I would continue selling on ebay.

Message 31 of 496
latest reply

@books...forthememories wrote:

I just canceled my ebay store.  Soon the rest of my listings will follow.  It was fun while it lasted, for over twenty years here.  Ebay has gone to h*ll in a handbasket.

What is it about MP that causes you such concern?  Specifically if you can.

@books...forthememories 

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 32 of 496
latest reply

@mam98031 you clearly did not read or comprehend what I was saying. If I need to be reimbursed, who will make sure that the seller has funds for the transaction? If the bank account is empty, where does the money come from? Does eBay now hold money for this? Who guarantees that the seller will have what is needed?  Just saying.....

Besides, this is not up for debate... this is just the way I see it... right, wrong or indifferent... I just don't like it.

Cheers and Good day to you..

Message 33 of 496
latest reply

@raven-otis wrote:

@mam98031 you clearly did not read or comprehend what I was saying. If I need to be reimbursed, who will make sure that the seller has funds for the transaction? If the bank account is empty, where does the money come from? Does eBay now hold money for this? Who guarantees that the seller will have what is needed?  Just saying.....

Besides, this is not up for debate... this is just the way I see it... right, wrong or indifferent... I just don't like it.

If bank account is empty they end up with a negative balance.

You can leave a credit card preferred payment for fees etc..

Oh I am surprised you did not leave PP when they started charging.

Ah the always it will be free days.....

Good luck in what ever you do:

I can and do: make money selling on eBay with MP.

Like it ? 

No but it is usable.

Change is never easy but can be done.

Message 34 of 496
latest reply

@raven-otis wrote:

Insulting me or being rude isn't the answer to getting your point across nor is it necessary.  

"If I need to be reimbursed, who will make sure that the seller has funds for the transaction?"  When you are in MP, the only way a refund works is that the seller issues the refund and it comes out of the money you currently have in MP.

"If the bank account is empty, where does the money come from?"  If you MP account is empty they will look to your checking account to cover the refund.  It is in your best interest to keep a little bit in that account so you don't zero it all the time and then you won't have to be concerned with overdraft fees.  You can also put a back up funding source on your MP account [credit card].

"Does eBay now hold money for this?"  MP holds money in regards to chargebacks and claims.

"Who guarantees that the seller will have what is needed?"  The seller as it is the seller's responsibility just as it has always been.

Message 35 of 496
latest reply

PayPal exchanges feel standard and  safe.  eBay, after the recent pretty awful scandal, does not.  

We're going to see how it shakes out and just donate things rather than sell when we don't need them anymore.  It was nice in the beginning, got really, really ugly with some just awful people, and then nice again.  But not feeling it with this forced migration.

Best of luck to everyone.

Message 36 of 496
latest reply

@gentle_offers wrote:

PayPal exchanges feel standard and  safe.  eBay, after the recent pretty awful scandal, does not.  

We're going to see how it shakes out and just donate things rather than sell when we don't need them anymore.  It was nice in the beginning, got really, really ugly with some just awful people, and then nice again.  But not feeling it with this forced migration.

Best of luck to everyone.

The scandalous behavior of a few Ebay employees [ex-employees by about September of 2019]happened in August of 2019 and had NOTHING to do with Managed payments.

Each seller has the right to decide for themselves if they want to go into MP or not.  There is no need to come up with a reason you feel justifies your decision.  No reason is necessary other than you just don't want to.

Message 37 of 496
latest reply

Smart, read other posts about hacks and gift cards not working.

Message 38 of 496
latest reply

@airdzi wrote:

Smart, read other posts about hacks and gift cards not working.

What "hack"?

Gift cards are a real issue.  Lots of fakes out there.  A very problematic subject to be sure.

Message 39 of 496
latest reply

I don't want ebay to "manage" my payments; I don't want to give them sensitive bank information that could be hacked; I always use my PayPal balance to BUY on ebay; If my buyers' payments won't go to my PayPal account any more, I will obviously not continue to shop here either.  PayPal has worked perfectly for me for over twenty years : my buyers' payments to me have been instantly available.  I have no intention of waiting around for "five to seven days"--or longer to be paid for a sale, yet having to mail out the orders immediately or receive a "defect" from kindly old ebay.  

Message 40 of 496
latest reply

On the contrary, it has everything to do with trusting the platform via the employees who work(ed) for the company.  Now that may be hard for you to understand, but it matters to us how diligent a company is about the type of people it picks to be in its' ranks - especially when said people can have access to financial and personal information.  

As I said, we'll see how it shakes out - but yes of course, up to everyone what their comfort level is -  if

this is the only place you can sell your stuff to make a living good luck to you.  Hope it works out.

Message 41 of 496
latest reply

@books...forthememories wrote:

I don't want ebay to "manage" my payments; I don't want to give them sensitive bank information that could be hacked; I always use my PayPal balance to BUY on ebay; If my buyers' payments won't go to my PayPal account any more, I will obviously not continue to shop here either.  PayPal has worked perfectly for me for over twenty years : my buyers' payments to me have been instantly available.  I have no intention of waiting around for "five to seven days"--or longer to be paid for a sale, yet having to mail out the orders immediately or receive a "defect" from kindly old ebay.  

I understand and you have every right to feel that way.  Ebay is however no more apt to be hacked than PP is.  It is a risk for ANY site that has an online presence.  Ebay has been here for 25 years and hasn't lost anyone's financial info yet due to the site being hacked.  So hopefully that will remain true for the next 25+ years.  We can only hope.

"yet having to mail out the orders immediately or receive a "defect" from kindly old ebay."  Fortunately that is a choice no one has to make.  To avoid the defect all the seller needs to do is adjust their handling times to be accurate.  And that is all Ebay wants anyway.  If you aren't going to ship right away for ANY reason you may have, then don't have a handling time that says you will.  That is within the control of the seller.  Some sellers in MP ship right away and some wait until the money is in their bank.  Either way is fine as long as the seller has their handling times stated accurately on their listings.  It is really quite simple.

Message 42 of 496
latest reply

@gentle_offers wrote:

On the contrary, it has everything to do with trusting the platform via the employees who work(ed) for the company.  Now that may be hard for you to understand, but it matters to us how diligent a company is about the type of people it picks to be in its' ranks - especially when said people can have access to financial and personal information.  

As I said, we'll see how it shakes out - but yes of course, up to everyone what their comfort level is -  if

this is the only place you can sell your stuff to make a living good luck to you.  Hope it works out.

You are absolutely entitled to whatever belief you have.  If it is your belief that the actions of a handful of bad [very bad] apples in a company, any company, means the entire company is rotten, then that's up to you.  With some research you are likely to find out that bad actors happen in many very reputable and good companies.  But again, you just need to follow your heart.

"Now that may be hard for you to understand, but it matters to us how diligent a company is about the type of people it picks to be in its' ranks..."  Well if that is what you want to base your belief on, then I don't know why you are upset with Ebay as a whole.  Ebay responded to this issue SWIFTLY and they even forced the CEO to resign.  They reacted very quickly in regards to these x-employees and worked side by side with the FBI on creating a court case against these guys.  

"...especially when said people can have access to financial and personal information."  What they did had NOTHING to do with this at all.  Not even close.  They were bullies in the worst definition of the word and they terrorized a married couple because of their published blogs.   

Message 43 of 496
latest reply

I am not following my "heart", nor are the other intelligent people here who have established clearly their reasons for their decisions, which you seem to want to disparage or debate.   I follow my intellect and judgement and it tells me to take a pause.

By the way,  I was not originally addressing you, and  find it odd that you just keep coming back at me with obvious comments like it's up to the seller.  Yes it is. So maybe you could take your own comments to "heart" , respect what people say, and go do your business?   I never said I would not buy on the platform, but nagging people doesn't  inspire much pleasure.   

Message 44 of 496
latest reply

@gentle_offers wrote:

I am not following my "heart", nor are the other intelligent people here who have established clearly their reasons for their decisions, which you seem to want to disparage or debate.   I follow my intellect and judgement and it tells me to take a pause.

By the way,  I was not originally addressing you, and  find it odd that you just keep coming back at me with obvious comments like it's up to the seller.  Yes it is. So maybe you could take your own comments to "heart" , respect what people say, and go do your business?   I never said I would not buy on the platform, but nagging people doesn't  inspire much pleasure.   

It is a discussion thread as they all are on this forum.  If only the people that some other poster addresses were allowed to respond, the threads would be extremely short and without much discussion going on.

Message 45 of 496
latest reply