cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very large ebay fee.

I recently sold a graphics card on ebay. the item sold for $328 and had a $13.45 shipping cost. the fees taken off the total were $44 which is NOT 10%, and then the shipping is not part of the fee since they still want 13.45 out of me. is this normal???

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Very large ebay fee.

@randomdudesellingelectronics 

The fee's are based on the total amount the buyer pays, item, shipping and any sales tax.

It should be around 12.55%.

Have a great day

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Very large ebay fee.

The fee's are based on the total amount the buyer pays, item, shipping and any sales tax.

It should be around 12.55%.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Very large ebay fee.

fee details.PNGit says right here that the fee's were taken off $355 which would leave me with $310. if we also take shipping off i would have $295. so why do i only have $270. what happened to the other $25???

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

Very large ebay fee.

Info given it correct.

Item total + shipping + tax if any: then the final value fee is charged on all of that. Plus the 30 cents....

Possible other fees are international fees if your purchaser is not in the same country as yours... and any promotional fees.

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Very large ebay fee.

no promo fees according to ebay. and the buyer is in the US like me. i tried contacting customer service agents but they did nothing.

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

Very large ebay fee.

@randomdudesellingelectronics wrote:

fee details.PNGit says right here that the fee's were taken off $355 which would leave me with $310. if we also take shipping off i would have $295. so why do i only have $270. what happened to the other $25???

The other $25 was the sales tax.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

Very large ebay fee.

Unfortunately and to my dismay, eBay unfairly charges their seller fees to the total cost of the item that INCLUDES SALES TAX!  You and I do not get to keep the sales tax so it is very unfair that eBay profits from seller fees on the sales taxes that go to the government!   I contacted eBay on this matter and they said since the money comes in as a lump sum they have no way to separate the cost.   I say **bleep**.   They do the breakdowns to pay the taxes therefore the 12.55% seller fees should be paid after the taxes are separated from what the seller gets.  This is fraudulently taking our money illegally.  This needs fixed!!  If you sell any item for $3,000 with 6% sales tax that equals $180 sales tax and  you are paying an extra $22.59 ($180 x 12.55%) to Ebay bc of the sales tax.  VERY UNFAIR AND WHAT I CONSIDER ILLEGAL.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

Very large ebay fee.

@randomdudesellingelectronics ,

The buyer paid sales tax, which is not shown in your screenshot, but is included in calculating the $355.66. If you click on the green down arrow beside that amount, it should show you. Most states require eBay to collect sales tax, which is calculated based on the buyer's shipping address. Many states require that the shipping be included in calculating the sales tax, so that's how the fees were calculated in the example shown below.

This is how the fees were calculated on that sale:

Calculated on:
Purchase price  $315.00 
Shipping  $  13.45 
Subtotal  $328.45 
Sales Tax8.28% $  27.21Subtotal
Total payment  $355.66 

FVF variable12.55% $  44.64Total payment
FVF fixed $    0.30 $    0.30Per order
Total fees  $  44.94 

PayPal always charged their fees on the total payment as well, including any sales tax, and so do all merchant gateways (that process payments for sellers). This has been happening for many years, so it is not illegal.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

Very large ebay fee.

Yes it’s correct. eBay charged more then 10% first off. Sale price, shipping and taxes are all 1 price. Then ebays fees are about on average 12% on the whole amount plus $.30 per sale.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

Very large ebay fee.

Lacemaker's explanation is correct.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

Very large ebay fee.

Unfortunately, the fact that you, and probably many others, consider eBay's fee schedule to be illegal does not mean that it actually IS illegal.

Don't you imagine that eBay has an attorney or several hundred who have determined that this is, in fact, legal?

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

Very large ebay fee.

That's beside the fact.  If a seller does not get to keep the money then no fees should be paid by the seller on the money.  It's just a money grab.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

Very large ebay fee.

@supraman84 wrote:

That's beside the fact.  If a seller does not get to keep the money then no fees should be paid by the seller on the money.  It's just a money grab.

If ebay didn't grab the money from the FVF on the tax, then ebay would grab the money by increasing the FVF on the item and shipping.    One way or another, you gonna pay.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

Very large ebay fee.

Since, for a small fee, Ebay collects the tax and dispurses it to the proper state..would you rather do that yourself?

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 14 of 23
latest reply

Very large ebay fee.

Why would you think they were suppose to be 10%.  Have you reviewed the policy page for seller fees?  Excellent place to start as a new seller.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4822#section8

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 15 of 23
latest reply