cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Effects on the Seller for Managed Payments.

I may be wrong on what I assume.  If so, feel free to correct me.

For the record most of my sales are in the  "coins and currency" category.

We lose whatever cash rebates the credit card used for payments has as policy (mine is 1%)

We lose at least 20 days of "float" between the charges and when our credit card payments are due.

We pay a fee on sales tax?  Why?  We have no control over that and we derive no income from that.

This one I am confused on:

If you offer free shipping and your shipping method is "First Class Mail Package" (like most of mine are) is Ebay going to add $3.00 (my average charge) for fee purposes?  How about $0.99 shipping? Is Ebay basing the fees on $0.99 or $3.00?  Really confused on this.

As far as buying shipping labels through Paypal I believe Paypal charges your credit card on file with the fees if you do not have a balance.

Paypal funds transfers to your bank (in my case) never took longer that two business days.  My understanding is it will be longer with managed payments.

Since I usually have multiple auctions ending on the same day - using 15 different orders as an example - as each is paid is a deposit sequence started? Will I see 15 different deposits to my bank account?  I see there is an option for once weekly but I am not going to give Ebay the funds for a weeks worth of sales that I get no interest on.

Perhaps this being a major change is making me more uncomfortable than the actual result but I sure feel like I am being targeted as a seller.

As a buyer being able to use more options for payment.........I have NEVER had anyone message me with "I do not use Paypal so I cannot bid on your item".

I am fortunate that I rarely have over 100 sales a month.  I could not image the effect on sellers with thousands a month.

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: The Effects on the Seller for Managed Payments.

@coinenthusiast wrote:

For the record most of my sales are in the  "coins and currency" category.

We lose whatever cash rebates the credit card used for payments has as policy (mine is 1%)

- wouldn't this be a buyer's issue, not a seller's?

We lose at least 20 days of "float" between the charges and when our credit card payments are due.

We pay a fee on sales tax?  Why?  We have no control over that and we derive no income from that.

- correct, the sellers final value fee is calculated on the buyer's total paument amount, including sales tax collected by eBay.

This one I am confused on:

If you offer free shipping and your shipping method is "First Class Mail Package" (like most of mine are) is Ebay going to add $3.00 (my average charge) for fee purposes?  How about $0.99 shipping? Is Ebay basing the fees on $0.99 or $3.00?  Really confused on this.

- eBay charges a final value fee on the amount of shipping that the buyer pays to the seller.  So if the seller offers free shipping, there would be no fvf on shipping.  12.55% of 0 = 0

As far as buying shipping labels through Paypal I believe Paypal charges your credit card on file with the fees if you do not have a balance.

- If you balance is insufficient to cover the cost of your USPS label, Paypal would charge the account that you previously set as backup funding.  The default would be your primary bank account.  Log in to your PP account, navigate to the pre-approved / automatic payments page, click on any for eBay Inc Shipping, scroll to the bottom of the page.  You can view / change your back up funding source here.

Or, on the label purchase page you can use the link to switch to having your label costs deducted from your Managed Payments pending funds.  Look on the lower left side of the page for the link

Paypal funds transfers to your bank (in my case) never took longer that two business days.  My understanding is it will be longer with managed payments.

- How quickly a payout posts to your bank account depends on your bank.  I have weekly (Tuesday) payouts.  My money is in my checking account fresh & early on Wednesday morning.

Since I usually have multiple auctions ending on the same day - using 15 different orders as an example - as each is paid is a deposit sequence started? Will I see 15 different deposits to my bank account?  I see there is an option for once weekly but I am not going to give Ebay the funds for a weeks worth of sales that I get no interest on.

- I beleive you will have one daily (or weekly, your choice) payout.  Not multiple dribbles & drabbles.

Perhaps this being a major change is making me more uncomfortable than the actual result but I sure feel like I am being targeted as a seller.

As a buyer being able to use more options for payment.........I have NEVER had anyone message me with "I do not use Paypal so I cannot bid on your item".

I am fortunate that I rarely have over 100 sales a month.  I could not image the effect on sellers with thousands a month.

Message 2 of 47
latest reply

You are correct for the most part, but I don’t understand where you’re getting the $3 fee related to shipping. If you offer free shipping, obviously there’s no eBay fee on shipping.

As for deposits, you can have it done daily,which would be one deposit for all 15 auctions. There is no option to have each auction’s proceeds deposited separately.

Message 3 of 47
latest reply

KARE-BEARB are you an eBay bot? I have noticed that some well stablished sellers have valid concerns in the eBay community only to be confronted by several seemingly new sellers that the only objective is to argue or debunk other sellers concerns.

I will like to return to selling in eBay but it seems that whom ever took over eBay is continuing making it very hard for everyday people to sell items in eBay and making it very easy for big companies and corporations to do so. 

Message 4 of 47
latest reply

@nadin1224 

a bot?

No, I'm a mere mortal who sells a bit on a couple of other ID's.

@coinenthusiast wrote:

I hope I provided the OP with some useful information.

Message 5 of 47
latest reply

These kind of people have been around for years.  They attack valid concerns and try to

force these people to get embarrassed and leave.

They are at the top of every post, like they race to them, then the real answers come from valid sellers after the flurry of these types of posts.  

I am convinced there buyers who pretend to be sellers, or there employees who don't want anyone complaining when it comes to money or that they are not selling anything.  It is disturbing.

Message 6 of 47
latest reply

What I am talking about is that - in the past - when the ebay fees were charged to my credit card I get the 1% rebate when I make payment.

Same answer as above.  From the time my fees were posted on my credit card I have this "grace period" before I have to make payment.

By not allowing me to charge the fees to a credit card I lose the above options.

I am really concerned that the fees I am charged on sales tax go right to Ebay to help offset their costs of collecting sales tax.  That's a cost of doing business and not my responsibility.

Otherwise THANKS for the info.

Message 7 of 47
latest reply

@nadin1224 wrote:

I will like to return to selling in eBay but it seems that whom ever took over eBay is continuing making it very hard for everyday people to sell items in eBay and making it very easy for big companies and corporations to do so. 

How is it harder for the small sellers then it is for the bigger sellers?

Have a great day
Message 8 of 47
latest reply

You are correct you will lose the Cash Rebates.  Mine is 2% but I no longer receive it because eBay takes their commission for the sale immediately so there is nothing to billed me once a month.  If you are using some of the extra paid features you may be able to use you Credit Card to pay these once a month.

Since eBay takes their fees upfront there is nothing to bill you for, so yes you lose the ability to float your Credit Card for 20 days. You do not need to, you do not owe eBay anything so there is nothing to float (unless you are using some of the extra paid features). 

You can purchase your shipping anywhere you want.  If you purchase it outside of eBay with your Credit Card, you can get your 1% and float the payment.  You can still use PayPal to purchase the shipping but I think it will be more difficult when they cut ties with eBay because you will have to manually enter all the shipping data.  There are other services that do merge this information.

I do not understand the fees on the Tax either.  I think that is so wrong.  

I only sell something occasionally so it is easy enough to keep up with what is owed me.  With 15 listings ending within the same day you will need to establish a way to keep track of all this.  Maybe a Spread Sheet or something.

Message 9 of 47
latest reply

In short, ebay is greedy and doesn't care. OP is right, and those who rely on the end of month billing and use their preferred payment method get screwed because ebay decides it wants to now be the company store, bank, etc instead of a neutral marketplace.

I had to block ebay from making charges to my bank because they double charged me AFTER I paid my balance in full years ago, ebay refused to do anything about it, I had to file a fraud dispute to get the money back, and ebay said they would possibly do it again the the future. To top it off, I still get hassled whenever any payment or transaction shows up with ebay's name on it, even though it's not directly from ebay.

Their response when I told them this **bleep** would essentially stop me from selling? Tough luck.

All the moves they make over the years to show how little they care, then this greedy nonsense (I don't care what they say, you hold this much money for 2 full business days or more, you are getting interest on it). Perhaps when they get a class action lawsuit, this will change their tune.

Message 10 of 47
latest reply

@nadin1224 wrote:

KARE-BEARB are you an eBay bot? I have noticed that some well stablished sellers have valid concerns in the eBay community only to be confronted by several seemingly new sellers that the only objective is to argue or debunk other sellers concerns.

OMG, People come to the threads to get advice.  A poster gives such advice, accurate I might add, and suddenly there is a problem with that poster giving advice.  Are you suggesting that those that come to the threads for help should be ignored?

I have seen MANY seasoned sellers ask basic questions about MP because they have not a clue as to how it works.  I've answered questions for sellers, seasoned sellers that didn't understand why they can't find their money in PP anymore since they signed up for MP.  And the list goes on and on.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 11 of 47
latest reply

@bobafett345 

In short, ebay is greedy and doesn't care.

Is it anyone that wants to make a profit that is "greedy" or is it just a special standard for Ebay?  ALL sellers are here to make a profit, so doesn't that make us ALL "greedy"?  Besides if you aren't paying more in overall fees, where's the greed.  For most sellers [not all], the fees in MP for a month will likely be a very neutral change.  Sure you can fine a transaction that cost more, in fact you can find a few.  But it you look at the bigger picture and compare a months worth, it is highly likely you will find that it is a very neutral change.

OP is right, and those who rely on the end of month billing and use their preferred payment method get screwed because ebay decides it wants to now be the company store, bank, etc instead of a neutral marketplace.

I can't say I agree with that characterization, but what the basics of what you say is true.  This change is very hard on some sellers.  Especially ones that have never ventured outside of Ebay to any of the other larger venues to sell on.  Because if they had, they would know, this is a really normal practice.  It is just yet another change to get use to.  And no need to make this seem like a financial hardship larger than what it really is, because for every $1,000 worth of FEES [not sales] you are losing between 10-20 dollars.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 12 of 47
latest reply

Typing in a color really makes your comments stand out as being worthless. It is clear you have no idea about how a business finances its operations.  NO IT IS NOT A BUYER ISSUE.........do you like the all CAPS?

Message 13 of 47
latest reply

ebay should charge a fixed fee for handling sales tax. Charging a percent against an unknown cost (location determines sales tax) makes it impossible to know your true costs prior too sale.

Message 14 of 47
latest reply

That's more than a little disingenuous: sellers aren't the ones trying to charge extra fees to buyers trying to recap what ebay is doing, or trying to make an extra buck off the back of those they are selling to. We list an item, the shipping costs, and a buyer pays for it. Meanwhile, ebay has gone from charging fees on only the item costs to charging fees on shipping, and now charging fees on tax (which is questionable if this is even legal, considering that's not even something a seller can fluff or adjust, like the shipping, which was their justification for adding the shipping surcharge back in the day: to rein a subset of sellers who overcharged to make a buck and skip the seller fees).

Holding this much money for as long as they potentially are, isn't "neutral" they are charging sellers, then making additional profit on the money they are holding.

Maybe you should stop shilling for the company store for a moment and see this for the naked money grab that it is. Holding up payments for no good reason isn't an "improved experience" as they fraudulently claim, it's an excuse to charge more, lie about the money they are raking in from holding the money longer, and shutting out anyone form selling who won't play ball. Just like those who wouldn't play in the crooked company store system in the day. This is borderline antitrust, if not an outright violation of it, and they need to be held accountable for this.

Message 15 of 47
latest reply