cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payments for auctions using paypal

Usually eBay takes me to PayPal, and I'm able to choose a payment method among my different cards on paypal, and PayPal allows me to split payment between two cards.   But today March 30 2024,  eBay bypassed all of this.   I had PayPal selected, but it defaulted to my bank account registered at PayPal, and completed payment.   It did not go into PayPal to let me choose

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Payments for auctions using paypal

My most recent purchases were a couple "make an offer" and the latest were two auctions.  When my offers were accepted my PayPal account was debited immediately, no option to pick HOW PayPal funded the purchases.  When I paid for the auction items, both from the same seller, I did get a total for both items, shipping and tax.  I had selected "pay using PayPal" but did NOT get the option to pick my funding source.  In all these recent cases the PayPal pop-up to select where to get funding (pick credit card X or bank account Y) did not present itself.  It's a royal pain in the keester but I guess I'll need to remember to twiddle which card/account IN PayPal before I finalize my order.

Speaking generally, this isn't my first go-around between PayPal and Ebay.  I don't like getting into circular blame games and, honestly, the pain is starting to outweigh any ease of doing business or simplicity.

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

Same issue here.

Anyone know how to change which card that e-bay or paypal uses to fund purchase

Thanks

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

@rblunt57 wrote:

I had selected "pay using PayPal" but did NOT get the option to pick my funding source.  In all these recent cases the PayPal pop-up to select where to get funding (pick credit card X or bank account Y) did not present itself. 

Did you accidentally agree to "Stay logged in for faster purchases” so that now you don't enter your password @rblunt57 to pay with PayPal -- instead you're already logged-in when you select "Pay using PayPal" at eBay Checkout?

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

This just happened to me twice out of the blue today. I have different credit cards that I use for business and personal. Both sales just zoomed right through to PayPal and went on a personal use card but they were business purchases. It's a card I seldom if ever use as well, so I have no idea why these geniuses zoomed in on THAT card as "my selection" for eBay purchases. I am so sick of eBay and PayPal messing with things without notice that I am ready to dump both even if it a hardship for me. Sick sick sick of the "surprises". I've been on eBay since Jan 2000 on this ID and have been with the "Pal" since they started. I never changed anything or clicked on anything by mistake... THEY did it without my approval.

If anyone here can figure it out I hope they post. It's IMPOSSIBLE to contact PayPal unless it's their Artificial Stupidity bot. It says I can go to "settings" in my PP account to fix it, but there is absolutely, positively ZERO "settings" icon or button on any page.

It also says they'll use my balance first. That's a hard NO. My balance is for PERSONAL purchases only, and I'll decide when and how to use it, thanks.

Clear cookies and cache? Well... the 1990s are over, but I actually do do this nightly, and the first thing I did after booting up today was make the first purchase that zoomed through, so that's not it. Use another browser? How can that possibly help?

I do an absolute ton of business online every year. ALL of my issues ONLY happen on eBay.

Sorry about the rant.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 19 of 24
latest reply

Just as an update- I finally found a link to change this on PayPal, which said I needed to cancel it at eBay, with a link to do so. There were actually TWO eBay "preferred" entries. I removed them both. However, I tried to purchase something awhile ago and when I went to pay, PayPal is STILL preselected, grrr

So it IS eBay doing this.

Message 20 of 24
latest reply

There are at least two different things going on.

eBay has a designation in the Payments page; one of my payment methods is shown as "used for auctions and offers". Deleting that entry should force you to choose a new payment option the next time you make an offer or place a bid if the seller requires immediate payment.

PayPal also has a default payment source for each vendor you deal with under "Manage Automatic Payments" in the PayPal Settings (use the gear icon in your PayPal account to reach Settings). I can see which payment source is selected for eBay when paying via PayPal, and I can change the selection, but I cannot see how to remove all selections and allow me to select a new payment method at checkout, as I had been able to do until recently.

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

I just removed PayPal as the preferred payment source for eBay on PayPal following your instructions. Now it seems it's back to the old format. PayPal is preselected on eBay, but then it goes to PP, then "getting your wallet", then I can leave the selection as my business debit or select another card.

THANKS!!

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

Please @gramophone-georg  can you be more specific about how to get back to Paypal wallet as before.

Thank you for your help

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

@mnvuillerme 

Try going to your eBay Payments page here:

https://ppcapp.ebay.com/myppc/wallet/list

From there, delete the entry for PayPal. Then try checking out and you should have an opportunity to choose a payment method through your PayPal wallet.

Message 24 of 24
latest reply