cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payments for auctions using paypal

Usually eBay takes me to PayPal, and I'm able to choose a payment method among my different cards on paypal, and PayPal allows me to split payment between two cards.   But today March 30 2024,  eBay bypassed all of this.   I had PayPal selected, but it defaulted to my bank account registered at PayPal, and completed payment.   It did not go into PayPal to let me choose

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Payments for auctions using paypal

Happened to me as well. I usually like to use Paypal's Pay in 4 option for more pricier purchases but this time it just charged me for the whole thing at once and the menu to choose paypal credit, my card or pay in 4 didn't open. I called Paypal support and was told Ebay had killed that option for buyers and will only allow Paypal to default to whichever card or account you have on file with Paypal. Sucks.

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

@marcsmil   Did you select PayPal at checkout? I did I had no issues making my purchase how I wanted. 

@shin_damaramu That person from PayPal support obviously has no clue.
Just now I was able to make a purchase using PayPal pay in 4. 

IMG_1474.jpeg

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

Same here last two sales went to sign agreement , payment options , but no paypal page to select account.

The next button you push sale is complete , I was hoping to learn more from this help page, hopefully it just a account set up issue, if this is not and will be the new standers ebay sellers will loss big time. For if the masses that pay with pay fore will be no more how will be left to buy higher price items. Hope it not to be true, if any body has any light to shine on this please do so    

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

So it isn't just me, then? I mean, I guess that makes me feel...better? But, ebay needs to get this fixed. I sometimes let my brother use my account, with his PayPal, but for the last couple of days it is just defaulting to his and there is no way for me to change this. I've used ebay for so long, pretty much since its inception. and, they keep making changes that are definitely not in the best interest of the majority of users. 

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

I have the same problem and it’s happed twice so far.  Even when I changed my payment method at PayPal, eBay still charged a different card, and I was charged foreign transaction fees as a result.  

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

@marcsmil @magnus.rwr @glheuerstang @vt81r63 

Y'alls issue sounds like a Paypal error. If you are clicking on PayPal you should be redirected to PayPal to select the payment option you want. If your usual payment options aren't there, I would look at your PayPal accounts to see if something has changed. 
It also maybe something with your browser, you can clear cookies, cache and history see if that helps at all. Or Use a different browser or device. 

I haven't had any problems with paying the way I want through PAYPAL. I am able to select either credit card, debit card, bank account, and Pay in 4 when I'm checking out. I use Safari on iPad. 

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

These are all great ideas. I thought it was a PayPal thing. When I contacted them after checking my settings, they said it was an eBay problem…classic deflection move.  The problem I have is that I’m not redirected to PayPal when I pay for an auction. It automatically logs me in and pays with my default payment method. It has done this to me with my iPad and my Windows based laptop. I’ll try clearing my cookies and caches, but I feel like it’s a bigger problem considering that there a quite a few people affected. Hopefully I’ll be able to talk to a human soon and get this cleared up. The automated bots are useless.

thanks for your suggestions

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

It sounds like your user ID has been dumped into the Automatic payment system eBay implemented for sellers. If a seller requires immediate payment this is usually what happens. If that is the case you can't use PayPal Credit, PayPal pay in 4, Apple pay or Google pay.

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

@glheuerstang wrote:

So it isn't just me, then? I mean, I guess that makes me feel...better? But, ebay needs to get this fixed. I sometimes let my brother use my account, with his PayPal, but for the last couple of days it is just defaulting to his and there is no way for me to change this. I've used ebay for so long, pretty much since its inception. and, they keep making changes that are definitely not in the best interest of the majority of users. 

Sounds like when your brother used your account his ID was dumped into the Automatic payment system eBay implemented for sellers to cut down on Non Paying Buyers. It's never a good idea to let anyone use your account.

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

That requirement for buyers to provide a payment method when placing a bid was removed a short time ago. It is however, still in place for making Offers. Buyer Management 

IMG_1476.jpeg

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

Made three purchase on 3/30 using PayPal it worked as it normally does

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

I'll put my money on a relationship to the prepayment requirement.

Even if it appears to be available.

PayPal does not support preauthorizations and therefore cannot be handled like a credit card. I think debit cards have a similar problem because instead of accessing them through Mastercard or Visa, Ebay access them through ATM networks which are cheaper. (That is why Ebay now offers instant disbursements to debit cards and is prohibited from doing so to credit cards).

It is just a matter of time until feature increases lead to the final demise of PayPal use on Ebay. An extra middleman is limiting.

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

Hello

I've got no brother using my account and I've got the exact same problem described.

Incredibly annoying.

If someone get a real clue (working) on how to solve it, please write it here !

Cheers

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

The same thing for me.

Very annoying.

Hope someone will get the solution !

Message 15 of 24
latest reply