cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managed payment

I think about who has given me the most misery, Paypal or eBay. eBay makes me mad everyday. Do I want to give eBay my SS number and unlimited access to my checking account? You're kidding right!  Gary

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Managed payment

I came here to say exactly this. Why would I give my SSN to an ecommerce company? Why take the risk of collecting such sensitive information? 

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

@ai85 wrote:

I came here to say exactly this. Why would I give my SSN to an ecommerce company? Why take the risk of collecting such sensitive information? 

One reason.........

If you don't you won't be able to sell on eBay anymore.

FYI - eBay is required by Federal law to obtain your SSN number.

FYI - PayPal had the same access to your bank account

FYI - If you don't want to give your SSN you can obtain  an ITIN or EIN  and use that instead

FYI - If you use ANY service to process credit card payments you will need to provide the same information

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

It is simple really,

Don't join Managed Payments then do not sell on eBay 

It was fine giving SSN to PayPal but now it is forbidding?  

Go to EIN and then you will not have to give your social 

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

@bigoak42 wrote:

You're kidding right!  Gary

Not if you want to continue to sell here and get paid.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 18
latest reply

I feel ya. I opted in  to Managed Payments during August, 2019. It seems like it took me nearly a whole quarter to adapt. Good luck to you, however you proceed.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

I switched six selling accounts at the end of November.

I got a separate checking account at my local bank and added it to all six accounts. Then I hooked it up as my funding source for my PayPal so I can spend the money that way. 

It took about a day total and I have had no issues whatsoever. But I have the luxury of not having to live hand to mouth, so I don't need immediate access. 

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Why do so many people think ebay has unlimited access to their checking account? They don't. They can't just take money willy nilly. They can pull back a refund, just like they did with PayPal. What's the difference? You lose the money either way. 

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Most if not all direct deposit agreements allow the person/company that made the deposit into your account can withdraw that money if they believe they sent it to you in error.  so all ebay has to say is that they made a mistake and can take the money back.    I am NOT SAYING  that they would do that but I have seen several people says ebay cannot take money out without your permission and that is completely false.

I believe this is the main reason they require a bank and will not let people use paypal or other services that do not have a banking charter to serve as the final paying account for deposits from your sales.

I am unsure if there is a time limit to how long they can go back and withdraw money sent to you.  I would assume that there is but I have not investigated that.  I talked to my bank a couple of years ago when I was setting up some direct deposits from other company than ebay and they told me that if you give them access to put money in you are by default giving them access to withdraw it as well.

happens often when people change jobs and a payroll check gets deposited and then has to be taken back because the person quit before pay period ends but deposit gets sent out anyway.  the employer does not have to ask your permission to take the money they just take it.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

I dont need ebay. ebay needs us. I do not care about selling on ebay. It is there because it was a convenience with paypal. That is the ONLY reason many sellers chose ebay. Facebook marketplace is free. There are also many other auction sites now and they do use paypal and they don't rip their sellers off by charging a ridiculously high 10% (now 13%) fee! What really **bleep** me off was seeing that they charged my shipping as well. I dont get free shipping. i have to buy the materials and actually pay money like most small resellers do. Its shady as hell. My shipping is always less than what ebay recommends too. Screw em.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

OK, bye.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

"Yep, just like PP did [re: SSN] because it is a FEDERAL requirement that IRS put on ALL money processors. Ebay is not an exception."

***but eBay is NOT a money processor -Adyen is; PayPal is; your Bank is; etc.

slippinjimmy (2)

posted on 02-27-2021 12:51 PM (this thread):

"FYI - eBay is required by Federal law to obtain your SSN number."

***but it's not. eBay is asserting control to obtain this information to provide then, to Adyen (the chosen payment processor)... but will, upon your furnishing the information, have unfettered 'authorized' access to your personal account.

kidzthree (3654)

"I believe this is the main reason they require a bank and will not let people use paypal or other services that do not have a banking charter to serve as the final paying account for deposits from your sales."

***but PayPal does have a banking charter. eBay doesn't. According to one eBay rep 'Tiffany C.', eBay doesn't recognize PayPal as an acceptable internet bank -but suggested a similar one called 'Chime' that is 'accepted'. So, after forcing sellers to use PayPal exclusively -they're no longer 'acceptable'. Sounds like children fighting for the last dinner roll.

releasethekraken_1 (0)

posted on 02-27-2021 05:44 PM (this thread):

"OK, bye."

***eBay employees masquerading as part of the selling community really don't have anything to add here. They are as useless as the foreign-based "Customer Service" agents that repeat the same cue card -no matter who you speak with. They have no basis to form opinions, have no experience in selling, have nothing to lose from voicing their idiocy, and won't have their cars repossessed or homes foreclosed on because sellers can't get paid -yet they HAVE TO ship their sold items.

It boils down to sellers having to make a hasty decision on whether to stop selling on eBay (and risk not being able to feed their families), or turn over all personal information to a non-bank & end up not getting paid for sometimes months (and risk not being able to feed their families). Nobody at eBay has to make this nightmarish decision for themselves, so they apparently couldn't care less.

Not good business.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

...and not good business to do this during an international pandemic -where people have to stay home, or lost their jobs due to Covid-19.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Check recent SEC filings...see Blackrock and Vanguard...what is Aladdin? 

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Ebay is not an FDIC financial institution...  there is no law requiring anyone give out their social security numbers to any company.  If you can prove otherwise,  post your source. Most power companies try getting your ssn, as do many other service providers, but in nearly 60 years ive never given anyone mine and ultimately none can force me. 

Ebay does not require your SSN, otherwise they would have ours, but thatll never happen.  Next.

Paypal has no more access to our bank account  than knowing what account and routing number to make transfers to. Paypal also doesnt require a SSN unless you spend from the balance instead of direct pulls and deposits to your bank account. 

You can use Eins and such,  its up to you.  

Lastly, pretending credit card payments are the only form of payment is ridiculous. We could be taking Zelle, cashapp, cash deposit, cashiers check, postal money order, direct ACH transfer, cryptocurrency, gold and silver eagles or other bullion, exchange or trade purchases, etc.

We opted out, managed payments wasnt right for us and we like being able to choose paypal or payments completely outside paypals system. 

Adyen is an international financial institution subject to foreign and international laws and privacy regulations and concerns such as 5 EYES.  That means youre no longer dealing with the constitutional protections afforded by dealing with and through an American company such as paypal. Youre willingly giving up your rights to control of your money and financial freedom of self determination and selling out your country while making foreigners rich. 

Ebay is becoming increasingly predatory and Unamerican, clearly waging financial warfare using sanctions upon its own sellers similar to  governments pressure each other with such sanctions. Its basically economic terrorism since youre making fear based decisions about your money which are artificially created by another entity influencing and hurting you financially. 

Think about it, and do your due diligence. 

Message 15 of 18
latest reply