cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is everyone really ok with no longer receiving invoices and having fees yanked out of checking?

I realize most are not in phase 2 or group 2 managed payments yet but everyone will be soon. Without warning, eBay placed me in group 2 and now I no longer get invoices. Store subscription fees and any FedEx/UPS fees are yanked out of my checking account without a heads up. 

I have phoned multiple times and there is no ability to pay these fees with a credit card. Basically eBay has decided (unlike our customers) that their customers must pay cash for everything. 

There is no plan to send an invoice warning that the fees are now due.

There is no way to pay ahead of time. These store etcetera fees, which are not directly associated with a particular sale the way FVFs are, will be first taken from any current sale funds, and then from your checking account if there isn't enough in your MP account. Trying to account for partial deposits, month-later shipping fees deducted, all of this non-associated costs will be a nightmare. 

Are people really ok with this?

Message 1 of 105
latest reply
104 REPLIES 104

Re: Is everyone really ok with no longer receiving invoices and having fees yanked out of checking?

@mam98031 wrote:

@valueaddedresource wrote:

If there is not enough in your MP account to cover it, it sounds like it can go to a debit/credit instead if you set that up as your payment method.  However, that will only be if there isn't enough in your MP account to cover it. 

I haven't seen an exact timeframe for this anywhere, so I don't know if it's possible they could give it a certain amount of time for more sales to bring that MP balance out of "negative" before they go to the payment method.

I don't believe there will be an option to pay the entire amount from debit/credit or to make one time payments with your preferred payment method.

The OP may have just not realized they can set a different default payment method than their payout bank account.

I'll also throw this caveat out there: while those current policies do seem to indicate they will go to the preferred payment method, the newest version of the Payments terms would seem to indicate they *can* go to the payout bank account instead and that the collection method is at eBay's sole discretion.

I'm not in any way saying they *will* do that, but I think it's important for sellers to be aware it could at least be a possibility.

https://pages.ebay.com/payment/2.0/terms.html#article-9

collection.jpg

It is just legal speak for their ability to take from your MP account, or your checking account or your credit card you have on file.  They have to be able to fund the charges that go against any seller's account.

To me that doesn't seem to mean that they are going to have a rolling reserve on very many sellers.  But if you have a seller that does not have a valid back up funding source and the attached checking account doesn't represent enough funds to satisfy negative balances that happen too often in MP, then I can see why they would need to force a seller to carry a balance in MP.

Some sellers over the years have gotten into real problems pulling all their money out of their PP accounts and no ability to process a buyer's refund because they didn't have enough money to put back in their PP account to cover it.  We've seen lots of threads on this issue over the years.  So it stands to reason MP would have to have a way to accommodate this issue and have a resolution for it.

I could be wrong, but I don't think this is going to be an issue that most of us will have to deal with.

@mam98031  just to make sure there is no confusion, I did not mention a "rolling reserve" in that post and that is a separate issue.

Message 31 of 105
latest reply

Re: Is everyone really ok with no longer receiving invoices and having fees yanked out of checking?

@mtgraves7984  eBay is rolling out a "new experience" where eventually all fees will be taken from your Managed Payments balance and/or your payment method on file with MP if your MP balance is not enough to cover it. 

You didn't "miss" anything....eBay would have had to make an announcement for you to miss. 🙄 It's pretty much just been finding out by tripping upon it on a random policy/help page or finding out when a seller already in the "new experience" asks a question about it.

Last month I discovered they were going to change this for Promoted Listings fees as part of this discussion:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/TRS-Promoted-Listings-Credit-Going-Away-Weekly-Chat-Follow-Up/... 

PL Credit FAQ 12-12-20-2.jpg

And it looks like they also started moving over store subscription fees with new sellers/subscriptions back in October.

https://pages.ebay.com/stores/subscriptionterms.html

storefees.jpg

@valueaddedresource 

I think I'll be an "ii"... what say ye?

- I enrolled in August, 2019. I've had a store subscription for years, which renewed  in March, 2020. -

Message 32 of 105
latest reply

@myhomeschooldelights wrote:

@buyselljack2016 

And just when we think we've got it under control....."rolling reserve".  LOL!  So I wonder what the consequences will be for not "rolling".  I guess EBay will just pull from whatever we've set up in our payment summary page - whether it be from checking account or charge cards in order to maintain it.  I wonder when that goes into effect for those not in this "phase 2".  I've been in MP since Aug of 2020.   I don't want any surprises regarding my checking account.  I have the credit card already associated for invoices currently, so will continue with that.  

Don't know about the phases, but for those of us in MP prior to 1/17/21 it becomes effective March 17 2021  "Payments terms of use".   1/17/21 inductees forward it is effective when the join MP.

Under Section 7       Reserves.

mcdougle got it there in post 28

Message 33 of 105
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

@mtgraves7984  eBay is rolling out a "new experience" where eventually all fees will be taken from your Managed Payments balance and/or your payment method on file with MP if your MP balance is not enough to cover it. 

You didn't "miss" anything....eBay would have had to make an announcement for you to miss. 🙄 It's pretty much just been finding out by tripping upon it on a random policy/help page or finding out when a seller already in the "new experience" asks a question about it.

Last month I discovered they were going to change this for Promoted Listings fees as part of this discussion:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/TRS-Promoted-Listings-Credit-Going-Away-Weekly-Chat-Follow-Up/... 

And it looks like they also started moving over store subscription fees with new sellers/subscriptions back in October.

storefees.jpg

@valueaddedresource 

- I enrolled in August, 2019. I've had a store subscription for years, which renewed  in March, 2020. -

@mtgraves7984  I'd say you are most likely a ii at this time.

However, I don't think it would be a bad idea to prepare yourself for that to change on your next renewal. 😉

Message 34 of 105
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

storefees.jpg

@valueaddedresource 

I say...well maybe.  The new Terms of Use start for us March 17th.  To me it looks like eBay can get the store subscription fee in several different ways.  

billing.PNGcollection.PNG

Message 35 of 105
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@myhomeschooldelights wrote:

@buyselljack2016 

And just when we think we've got it under control....."rolling reserve".  LOL!  So I wonder what the consequences will be for not "rolling".  I guess EBay will just pull from whatever we've set up in our payment summary page - whether it be from checking account or charge cards in order to maintain it.  I wonder when that goes into effect for those not in this "phase 2".  I've been in MP since Aug of 2020.   I don't want any surprises regarding my checking account.  I have the credit card already associated for invoices currently, so will continue with that.  

Don't know about the phases, but for those of us in MP prior to 1/17/21 it becomes effective March 17 2021  "Payments terms of use".   1/17/21 inductees forward it is effective when the join MP.

Under Section 7       Reserves.

mcdougle got it there in post 28

That is what I am thinking, too.  And that could mean this new Terms of Use Is The Notification for the fees to start being collected from our MP funds instead of being invoiced beginning March 17th.

Message 36 of 105
latest reply

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

@firesteel_surplus wrote:

I should have said *MOSTLY* positive. I have had a hiccup here and there....Got one we're trying to figure out without much luck...

Mike

Firesteel Surplus

Can you explain the "hiccup" you are experiencing?  Maybe someone here can help.

It's that Promoted Listing Fee thing you and acc756 have been posting in. The one where it skipped two listings from the same sale...that's me.

Mike

Firesteel Surplus

Message 37 of 105
latest reply

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

I should have said *MOSTLY* positive. I have had a hiccup here and there....Got one we're trying to figure out without much luck...

Mike

Firesteel Surplus

Can you explain the "hiccup" you are experiencing?  Maybe someone here can help.

It's that Promoted Listing Fee thing you and acc756 have been posting in. The one where it skipped two listings from the same sale...that's me.

Mike

Firesteel Surplus

Oh, yes I recall.   I misunderstood and thought that everything looked correct once you were able to download the transaction report.  Sorry.

I would just keep a record of occurrences like this so when the charge does appear you know what sale it goes to.   I have had eBay make errors on international fees and it did take 1 -2 months for it to straighten out. 

Message 38 of 105
latest reply

That is what I am thinking, too.  And that could mean this new Terms of Use Is The Notification for the fees to start being collected from our MP funds instead of being invoiced beginning March 17th.

--------------------------------------------------------

@mcdougle4248 

I think you may be correct. We were/are notified, but 98% + will never read it to know that they "were" notified.  Sort of like those that have never read the UA, and claim  eBay is doing something "without their permission".

And before anyone asks, no I have never read the entire UA.  I'm such a trusting soul that I know eBay would never do anything bad to me.

sarcasm.jpg

Message 39 of 105
latest reply

I am shocked with ebay requiring me to give them access to my checking account if I want to sell on there. They don't want to work with Paypal any longer. My guess is Paypal holds them accountable and takes care of their account holders. Paypal is so safe. Ebay on the other hand will throw their sellers under the bus consistently. The buyer is always right and seller has to pay ie: loose all expenses. They will not allow the seller to use a credit or debit card. It has to be full access to the sellers checking account. I am very uncomfortable with giving most anyone access to my checking account especially for small often fees that vary and I have no control over. So I can no longer sell on ebay unless I open another checking account to use for them which means more fees. I consider this very rude on ebays part and will not go along with it most likely saving me much frustration. Who gives someone like that access to their private checking account they run their whole life from? Who demands that? Even married people often prefer their own checking account. I offered other forms of credit such as Venmo, my credit cards... So NO, I am not ok with this. No one should be! It will be a pain but I will have to use another auction forum and let my little store go.

Message 40 of 105
latest reply

Store subscription fees and any FedEx/UPS fees are yanked out of my checking account without a heads up.

So long as a line pops up on my Payments page that show that there was a FedEx/UPS or a Monthly Store fee transaction at the moment of collection, I'm fine with that.  It's when there is a transaction in real-time occurring, yet no line identifying it, that can be a head-massage.  I'm confident eBay will program that line in my Manages Payments "Recent Transactions" page, no?

Message 41 of 105
latest reply

Sorry to be so late in replying to all the comments, appreciate all the help, but PLEASE NOTE. There is no way for me to request a payment method on the payments tab. I have my credit card listed as preferred payment for purchases, if I were to buy something. But those who suggest I simply need to input my credit card on the payment settings page - that option is no longer there. 

I have confirmed this with the telephone help, they said, well maybe in the future we might put that in but for now it comes out of your bank if your MP balance is negative.

Ok, so I should no longer request daily payouts but leave cash in my MP account? For reasons (I know not everyone agrees) I use FedEx for some shipments. Those can be significant. Plus my monthly store fee.  So I should leave a sockful of cash in MP?

Basically, whether it is from MP or from my checking, eBay is now requiring me to pay my store subscriptions, any promo fees, any misc stuff, I don't know, things that were on invoices in the past, FedEx, UPS maybe?  - now those must be paid in CASH. Not credit card.  Plus I understand the gyrations to account for fees in different months. It simply was simpler to have my overall charges paid via credit card, not partially from a sale (if a few dollars in MP) then partially from my checking. Yes it ties. Yes I can do the accounting. But I prefer a simpler cleaner accounting without extra steps.

Plus. Cash payments for store subscriptions? Everyone is ok with that? Reminder  to those who suggested I simply add my credit card to my  payment settings - there is no place for me to request they use my preferred payment method. My screen does not look like yours.

Message 42 of 105
latest reply

oh and I do have a cc as my preferred payment in my main settings but they took fees from checking, not my preferred payment. I am not a new seller nor is my preferred payment method new.

Message 43 of 105
latest reply

@tink012 wrote:

Sorry to be so late in replying to all the comments, appreciate all the help, but PLEASE NOTE. There is no way for me to request a payment method on the payments tab. I have my credit card listed as preferred payment for purchases, if I were to buy something. But those who suggest I simply need to input my credit card on the payment settings page - that option is no longer there. 

I have confirmed this with the telephone help, they said, well maybe in the future we might put that in but for now it comes out of your bank if your MP balance is negative.

Ok, so I should no longer request daily payouts but leave cash in my MP account? For reasons (I know not everyone agrees) I use FedEx for some shipments. Those can be significant. Plus my monthly store fee.  So I should leave a sockful of cash in MP?

Basically, whether it is from MP or from my checking, eBay is now requiring me to pay my store subscriptions, any promo fees, any misc stuff, I don't know, things that were on invoices in the past, FedEx, UPS maybe?  - now those must be paid in CASH. Not credit card.  Plus I understand the gyrations to account for fees in different months. It simply was simpler to have my overall charges paid via credit card, not partially from a sale (if a few dollars in MP) then partially from my checking. Yes it ties. Yes I can do the accounting. But I prefer a simpler cleaner accounting without extra steps.

Plus. Cash payments for store subscriptions? Everyone is ok with that? Reminder  to those who suggested I simply add my credit card to my  payment settings - there is no place for me to request they use my preferred payment method. My screen does not look like yours.

The Payment tab in the Seller Hub has is for selling not when you purchase stuff.

You are likely just looking in the wrong place.  Seller Hub, then the Payment Tab and then the Summary page.  On the right side of your screen you should see this:

MP Financial Settings.JPG

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 44 of 105
latest reply

@tink012 wrote:

oh and I do have a cc as my preferred payment in my main settings but they took fees from checking, not my preferred payment. I am not a new seller nor is my preferred payment method new.

@tink012 

That is for buying NOT selling.  That screen has nothing to do with MP.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 45 of 105
latest reply