cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a charge on my PayPal account for an Ebay purchase but there is no record of the purchase

There is a charge to my PayPal account for a purchase but my Ebay account shows no record of any purchases either on the date of the charge or any time around it.  How can I find out if that charge is legitimate.  I tried for 1/2 hour to find a way to contact Ebay about this and found no way to do it (incredibly frustrating!)  It may be legit, but I need them to check it because nothing like that appears in my purchase record.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: I have a charge on my PayPal account for an Ebay purchase but there is no record of the purchase

qeqo_0
Thrill-Seeker

You should prepare to go it alone @a8av9rm7u1u4cn1 and use your imagination, as filing a claim at eBay and PayPal is self-help. On these boards, buyers have uploaded photos of ducks or a completely black image. Yours might be a screenshot of your purchases, missing this unknown purchase, with no response from eBay.

Hint: No one will see your images or read what you wrote.

eBay will send you an email about 5 seconds after you submit your case at PayPal -- it's a bot.

Your seller, whoever that is, is not shown your words or your images, just generalities like Item Not Received.

Expect to answer 8 pages and upload 3 images before you're done at PayPal, and the final page will say Oops and crash, but your dispute will have been filed. Here's the next page after that: 

qeqo_0_0-1685490462481.jpeg

Yes, that's correct: PayPal will pre-fill "Item name" with "Purchase amount" -- meaning you bought a Purchase amount. That's how little it matters how you get to the end, to file your dispute.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: I have a charge on my PayPal account for an Ebay purchase but there is no record of the purchase

@a8av9rm7u1u4cn1 wrote:

There is a charge to my PayPal account for a purchase but my Ebay account shows no record of any purchases either on the date of the charge or any time around it. How can I find out if that charge is legitimate. 

I tried for 1/2 hour to find a way to contact Ebay about this and found no way to do it (incredibly frustrating!)  It may be legit, but I need them to check it because nothing like that appears in my purchase record. 

Rather than spend any time, or any more time, file an Item Not Received dispute here with PayPal.

PayPal will ask you what you bought, but because you are inquiring online instead of looking for a way to contact eBay, it's easier*: Type in that you need to see this purchase.

Very quickly @a8av9rm7u1u4cn1 you will either get your answer and thereafter your purchase, or you will get a refund.

*Your PayPal payment ties directly to the purchase; contacting eBay with the date and amount of the payment may not help, as it might not be tied to your eBay ID at all.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

The OP is claiming that there is a charge on his Paypal account for a purchase he doesn't recall.

How can he open an item not received case if this charge is not shown in his Purchase History? 

Addendum:  To the OP:  Since Paypal can be used to pay for items bought elsewhere, have to ask:  It definitely states this is an eBay purchase?  

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

@sdneped wrote:

Rather than spend any time, or any more time, file an Item Not Received dispute here with PayPal.

PayPal will ask you what you bought, but because you are inquiring online instead of looking for a way to contact eBay, it's easier*: Type in that you need to see this purchase.

Very quickly @a8av9rm7u1u4cn1 you will either get your answer and thereafter your purchase, or you will get a refund.

Thanks but I already tried that.  This is the response PayPal gives:

"Since this purchase was made on eBay, you must reach out to them to resolve any issues you are facing."

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

The OP is claiming that there is a charge on his Paypal account for a purchase he doesn't recall.

How can he open an item not received case if this charge is not shown in his Purchase History? 

Addendum:  To the OP:  Since Paypal can be used to pay for items bought elsewhere, have to ask:  It definitely states this is an eBay purchase?  

Yes

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

@a8av9rm7u1u4cn1 wrote:

@sdneped wrote:

Thanks but I already tried that.  This is the response PayPal gives:

"Since this purchase was made on eBay, you must reach out to them to resolve any issues you are facing."

sasa790592_1-1685476453570.jpeg

Scroll down @a8av9rm7u1u4cn1 to click Continue filing with PayPal.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

@sdneped 

Thanks but tried that too.

If you click on "Continue filing with PayPal"  you get this same dead end.

Screenshot - 5_30_2023 , 5_04_38 PM.png

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

qeqo_0
Thrill-Seeker

You should prepare to go it alone @a8av9rm7u1u4cn1 and use your imagination, as filing a claim at eBay and PayPal is self-help. On these boards, buyers have uploaded photos of ducks or a completely black image. Yours might be a screenshot of your purchases, missing this unknown purchase, with no response from eBay.

Hint: No one will see your images or read what you wrote.

eBay will send you an email about 5 seconds after you submit your case at PayPal -- it's a bot.

Your seller, whoever that is, is not shown your words or your images, just generalities like Item Not Received.

Expect to answer 8 pages and upload 3 images before you're done at PayPal, and the final page will say Oops and crash, but your dispute will have been filed. Here's the next page after that: 

qeqo_0_0-1685490462481.jpeg

Yes, that's correct: PayPal will pre-fill "Item name" with "Purchase amount" -- meaning you bought a Purchase amount. That's how little it matters how you get to the end, to file your dispute.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

I got an email for a charge today also. Mine was for crypto currency of some sort. Mine seems fake. I have no purchase on my eBay credit card, Pay Pal account, Pay Pal credit card or my banking cards. 

I suggest to not respond and delete email

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Did you check MY PURCHASES in MY EBAY?   IS it possible that you or someone in your home used Ebay as a guest and then paid with your paypal account?  For now, change the password on your paypal account and ebay account .  On Paypal, does it have a seller name or an item number?

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Yes.  That is the problem.  PayPal shows a charge for an eBay purchase but my eBay account does not show that purchase on the list of purchases.  There were no purchases within weeks of that date in either direction and no purchases in that amount on the list of purchases.  And I don't recall that purchase although it is certainly possible I don't remember it.  But the main issue is that it shows up in PayPal as an eBay purchase but there is no record of it in my eBay account.  All the other purchases I make show up in both.

I don't suspect fraud.  For one thing the charge is very small.  Also, I am the only person I am aware of that has access to either my eBay account or my PayPal account.  I have had both for many years and never seen this issue before.  And I have made a number of purchases since then on eBay and don't see anything else wrong.  It's just this one item.

I also don't expect anyone got unauthorized access to either of my accounts.  There is probably a legit explanation for it related to something I did, but I am just curious to confirm that with eBay.  But since their customer service system sucks, that is an exercise in futility.

@qeqo_0 

Thanks for that.  It sounds right as annoying as it is.  Great customer service!  NOT!  But I really appreciate the tip.  I'm tempted to just forget about it since the amount is probably not worth it.  But knowing that eBay and PayPal probably have things set up this way intentionally for the purpose of discouraging you from even trying to get your money back for an erroneous charge motivates me to give it a shot.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Look at the amount and look at the items that you bought recently that are about that amount w/ tax (and possibly) shipping. Maybe you bought something in a website and that seller is also an ebay seller and you bought his item off ebay thinking that you got it from a website. 

Anyway, do NOT assume that someone does not have access to your account.  Go and change your paypal password and your ebay password.  If it's a scam, they try first with a cheap purchase.

Someone used my selling account for fun years ago.  They listed stuff dirt cheap like iphones for 100.oo.  Everything was fixed and no one lost money since the paypal that the scammer used was not able to receive payments. Ebay said that someone got my password.   Anyway, change the passwords.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

On the paypal transaction, there should be a seller name.  Click the HISTORY area of Paypal and look for that. It can't just say Ebay.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

I thought that PayPal used to show the seller's name on each transaction also.  But now when I look at the details of the transactions on eBay all it says under "Seller info" for ALL of my eBay purchases is "eBay Commerce Inc."  No longer shows any seller name.

I have tried to look for clues about the amount and timing of the charge to help identify it.  But it doesn't match up with anything I can recall.  And it says the seller is eBay so I have to assume the charge was submitted by eBay.  Is that a mistake and the charge should have been submitted by some other place where I bought something I forgot about but was mistakenly submitted as an eBay purchase?  Unlikely, but possible, that is what I am trying to find out.  It has order numbers and other identifying numbers.  But that doesn't do me any good if there is no way to contact them and ask about a specific order number.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

It shows an amount and a date, right? Assume you looked at eBay purchases around the same date and amount? 

Message 15 of 22
latest reply