cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long will the payment holds continue?

Hi - I have a rating of 120 as a buyer, and have started selling stuff and it has GONE GREAT (about $600) in the first week, but I'm out quite a lot already on packaging, postage and shipping (not to mention the loss of my stuff being sold) without any return.  It appears that there's a 2 week hold on everything because I'm new to selling and that makes sense, but how long will that go on?  I have LOTS more to sell, but can only finance Ebay so far before they have to start paying me.  

I'm told that at some point, it should be a few days turn-around.  At what point does that kick in?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: How long will the payment holds continue?

Click the link>>>Payment holds to learn about payout holds 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Click the link>>>Payment holds to learn about payout holds 

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

As long as you've set up your Managed Payments so you can receive payouts they'll start coming soon.

You know you can use your pending funds to buy the shipping labels on ebay?

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

It's still 2 weeks.  When I used to sell years ago it was under a week. 

As for the postage, that only makes sense if you have a laser printer, otherwise you wind-up losing any savings on labels and/or tape to keep your address from rubbing off.  Also, I'm not seeing a significant price break compared to my local Post Office and with printing cost, it might actually be cheaper to hand-write the address and manually enter tracking (if a bit less convenient). 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@ad_59079 wrote:

As for the postage, that only makes sense if you have a laser printer, otherwise you wind-up losing any savings on labels and/or tape to keep your address from rubbing off.  Also, I'm not seeing a significant price break compared to my local Post Office and with printing cost, it might actually be cheaper to hand-write the address and manually enter tracking (if a bit less convenient). 

A manufacturer (or factory) refurbished laserjet can be purchased for under $100.

Labels, maybe $34 per 1,000...

Toner, hopefully your printer comes with some but otherwise aftermarket for about $15 and one cartridge usually lasts me through about a thousand printed pages.

You'd be out under $150 and that 1000 labels lasts a while, the printers are usually good up to 10,000 prints and maybe longer. 

I have three, two are hooked up and one sits in the closet as a backup.

One prints my SCAN sheets and anything else that can be printed on plain paper, the other prints my labels, either can be set to do the other's job, I keep both hooked up in case one fails plus it's easier to not have to swap paper between labels and SCAN sheets.
The plain paper printer has a page count of 8,800, the label one is up to 4,450.

The plain paper printer also can do the job of a copy machine as it can scan and print.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Your buying experience will not count towards selling experience and they are completely different things.

Ebay has had a rule for many years that pertains to New Seller and sellers that have been away from selling for 90+ days. The following is the policy that outlines why you money is likely on hold.

https://export.ebay.com/en/fees-and-payments/payments/payment-holds/

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold/payments-hold?id=4816&&...

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I've read it, but it changes nothing.  If they want to make any more money off my stuff, they need to PAY ME.  I'm not an employee of Ebay, I'm a customer, just as surely as the buyer is.  As for the idea of using Ebay for postage, it's just more hassle than it's worth, and it's better not to keep all your eggs in one basket - just look how much better Ebay was, when Paypal handled payments!!

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Why do you need a laser printer for labels? Just print your label and tape it to the pkg, Ive been selling here for twenty five years and have never used a laser printer.Since Ebay has a thirty day MBG, your funds are being held because they prefer that any refunds come out of your pocket, not theirs.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

I'm using one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08YDYBJTX?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

And a roll of 500 labels: (or get fan fold, I made my own roll holder)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0897SGV9L?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

All for the low low cost of 68 bucks.  Once I got that printer set up, it prints really nice labels.  As for packing slips etc, if you already have a printer, you are good, otherwise, you can pick up a cheap black and white laser to do them.

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@ad_59079 wrote:

I've read it, but it changes nothing.  If they want to make any more money off my stuff, they need to PAY ME.  I'm not an employee of Ebay, I'm a customer, just as surely as the buyer is.  As for the idea of using Ebay for postage, it's just more hassle than it's worth, and it's better not to keep all your eggs in one basket - just look how much better Ebay was, when Paypal handled payments!!

I understand that you don't like this policy, but it does exist and you will have to deal with it until you have a few transactions completed.  You don't have a choice.  The important thing is it is a short term problem and then it is gone.  

Before a member starts to sell, it is their responsibility to learn the basics of selling here.  One would think that top priority would be to learn how you get paid.  Ebay holds sellers responsible for knowing the rules as they should.

I have no idea what this means "Ebay for postage, it's just more hassle than it's worth", purchasing postage on Ebay is extremely simple.  So I don't know what kind of a "hassle" you are referring to.  Nor do I know what purchasing shipping labels on Ebay has to do with your eggs in a basket.  That term is usually meaning don't use just one site for selling not something regarding shipping.

Managed Payments is a good program, you just need to learn how it works.  I know it is easier to use what we are use to which is PayPal, but that isn't an option for sellers anymore no matter how much you want it to be.  And MP works just fine for most sellers.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@ad_59079 wrote:

Lots of sellers don't have laser printers.  I'm unsure as to why you think one is required.  You can print them on copy paper if you want to.  And if you are worried about the address rubbing off, put clear tape over it.

Me personally I use a thermal printer and I never put tape over my addresses.

If you aren't seeing a price break between Ebay's prices and full retail at the Post Office, you are view something incorrectly.  Shipping online, whether from Ebay or elsewhere is cheaper than full retail.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

The exact point at which this happens can vary, and eBay's policies may change over time. It's best to refer to eBay's Seller Protection and Payment Holds policies or reach out to eBay's customer support for the most up-to-date information on when the hold period may be reduced.

As you continue to sell and establish a positive selling history, it's likely that the hold period will decrease, allowing for faster access to your funds. Remember to provide excellent customer service, ship items promptly, and maintain open communication with your buyers to build trust and positive feedback.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply