cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay, unfair business practices.... DO NOT WITHDRAW MONEY FROM MY BANK ACCOUNT...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ebay says "Your fees and other selling costs are automatically deducted from your sales proceeds. However, you’ll need to set up a valid payment method to cover your selling costs in case your sales proceeds are insufficient. A valid payment method includes a debit or credit card, or a linked payout bank account."

This statement is on one of the pages at Ebay... If Ebay collects $100 on a sale, takes out $10 for their Cut, and takes out $10 for shipping, that means the sale yielded enough proceeds to cover all fees. Why then would Ebay, send the Seller $90 (the sellers cut and the shipping cost), turn round and attack the Sellers checking account, by withdrawing the $10 it had in Ebays own account "in the first place", for the $10 shipping it should have taken out "in the first place" as part of the selling costs? Especially when Ebay says part of the selling costs are shipping fees.  What if Ebay suddenly decided to take $100? $500?... Ebay should not have the right to dip into your check account. If the proceeds of a sale, are hi enough to cover Ebays fees and shipping, there is no reason for Ebay to mess with a Sellers banking accounts and withdraw anything. Agree or not?  I say...DO NOT WITHDRAW MONEY FROM MY BANK ACCOUNT!

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Ebay, unfair business practices.... DO NOT WITHDRAW MONEY FROM MY BANK ACCOUNT...

Ebay has the right because they state so, and you agreed-when you signed up with your bank account for Managed Payments.

If they state that you have to give them $1000 a day and a Brand New Car every month and you agree to that, then they are allowed to collect ALL THAT from you.

Read and agree. Or Don't. It's up to you. You are NOT forced into anything. 

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

Re: Ebay, unfair business practices.... DO NOT WITHDRAW MONEY FROM MY BANK ACCOUNT...

@lacemaker3 

This OP isn't the only seller complaining about Ebay going directly to their checking account for selling fees.  I've read this complaint several times on various threads over the past few days.  Which is why I tagged the thread so we might learn more about this early this coming week.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 17 of 23
latest reply

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

But now here is the part I find interesting and I've heard this from a few Sellers recently which leads me to believe there is some kind of problem on the Ebay end of this right now.  Ebay should be reducing your Fees from the PENDING/Processing Funds that you owe BEFORE the payment clears and moves to Available funds, from there to a Payout.  Ebay should have ZERO need to dip directly into your bank for selling fees.

@mam98031 

I agree with almost everything you posted as an explanation but based on what the OP stated, it's not the fees that are being withdrawn from the bank but rather, the price of the shipping label. (In @Anonymous 's example, s/he used $10 as both the fee amount and as the shipping label cost.) 

Per OP: "Therefore if your proceeds from a sale, lets just say for the sake of discussion, are $100. Ebays cut is $10. and $10 is for shipping. You get $80. Ebay gets its payment for $100. it takes $20. Thats it. 

In my case, Ebay put $90 in my account, and then went back and attacked by checking account for the other $10 it should have kept for the shipping.

The OP appears to have ticked the box that doesn't take shipping label costs from pending payouts. 

I don't think this is an ebay glitch issue but rather, seller error.

Point taken.  But since the two amounts are the same, it would be hard to know which is which unless it was identified as such.  

With that said, several sellers have complained recently on various threads of similar actions by Ebay for fees.

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

I get your point, however you nor your checking account are under "attack" by Ebay.  That is a bit too dramatic for me.

Ebay does have the right to withdraw from the checking account you have attached to MP if the need arises in order to cover a negative balance in your MP account.  You can set up for them to actually look to a Credit card to do that if you don't want them taking it out of your checking account.  Each of us makes that choice.

But now here is the part I find interesting and I've heard this from a few Sellers recently which leads me to believe there is some kind of problem on the Ebay end of this right now.  Ebay should be reducing your Fees from the PENDING/Processing Funds that you owe BEFORE the payment clears and moves to Available funds, from there to a Payout.  Ebay should have ZERO need to dip directly into your bank for selling fees.

Now store fees if you haven't been selling for a bit or some other reason.  I can see why there can be times with the collection of a store fee my look to your checking account or the back up payment method to have that paid.

But selling fees do not make any sense at all. 

Now shipping costs when you use the Ebay label program will pull from your Available Funds.  And if that brings your MP account to a negative but there is some PENDING funds there, it will not look to your checking account to cover it, it will wait for the Pending funds to clear.

Some shipping charges will show up later if you use the Standard International shipping program or UPS or Fedex.  

I'll tag this thread to see if there is some other issue going on with MP that is now pulling SELLING fees directly from a seller's checking account instead of pulling it from the PENDING Payment as it has always done before.

velvet@ebay 

tyler@ebay 

jasmen@ebay 

Hi @mam98031, there are currently no issues that would cause this to happen. It would be best for the OP to work with the payments team to see if something was set up incorrectly to help avoid it happening again. Thanks!

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

I had my payouts set to daily and I noticed the same thing. My shipping label preference is set to “pay from pending payputs” It always is. However, if you wait even 1 day after you receive payment for your item, eBay has already sent your daily payout. So your balance is zero, and they pull the shipping from your bank account.

Only way to avoid this, as far as I can tell, is to either buy your shipping labels the same day you are paid (you can set the actual shipping date when you buy it), or set your payout schedule to “weekly” so your balance doesn’t get cleared out too quickly to deduct shipping.

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

@snow-bears wrote:

I had my payouts set to daily and I noticed the same thing. My shipping label preference is set to “pay from pending payputs” It always is. However, if you wait even 1 day after you receive payment for your item, eBay has already sent your daily payout. So your balance is zero, and they pull the shipping from your bank account.

Only way to avoid this, as far as I can tell, is to either buy your shipping labels the same day you are paid (you can set the actual shipping date when you buy it), or set your payout schedule to “weekly” so your balance doesn’t get cleared out too quickly to deduct shipping.

You have got to be the FIRST seller that is complaining Ebay sends your Payouts too quickly!!  This is refreshing.  

I do Weekly Payouts.   I really like them and there are less payouts to deal with when reconciling my bank statement too.  They happen every Tuesday morning.  

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

I know this an old thread and things are possibly different than the were over a year ago. I get my weekly payout on Tuesday so my balance is then zero. Since ebay now doesn't take out the cost for labels immediately now but when they are used and it happens to be right after your payout when there is still no money in your balance, they dip into your bank account. This has happened to me twice in the last couple of months. I didn't understand it at first and then I realized what happened. There appears to be no way to prevent this. The only way I can think of if your were able to leave a balance in your payout account, say $100.00, then they would deduct from this balance instead of pulling from your bank account. This would work for me, possibly not everyone else.

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 23 of 23
latest reply