cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer in messages is requesting more time/no intention to pay?

I got a message from a buyer asking me to wait an entire week until they get paid to pay for the item. They tried to guilt trip me in messages, and they bid on the item when they've made it clear that they are not going to pay and that I will have to relist for the 2nd time in a few days. I wish eBay would scan messages like this and automatically flag them. What can I do here? I've blocked the buyer from making future purchases from me, but is there really nothing I can do here? I literally have to wait until they don't pay for 4 days? She already told me in messages that she has no intention of paying at least until next week. I find this absolutely ridiculous and outrageous. This is the second buyer I've had that is talking about wanting the item, but saying they're not going to pay. Is there anything I can do here other than waiting for the inevitable?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

For me, the big realization was removing emotion.  Easier said than done! 

Grind your teeth, block them and wait for day 5.  

Prepare some bland template responses that say no for people making inquiries about exceptions.   Those are often scummers telegraphing their intent to you.   Block them. 

There are predators out there.  

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

The wally mart shoppers.   You might want to list as fixed price buy it now set to require payment right away.  The sale does not take place until the buyer pays.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Block the buyer then send this. 

Dear buyer, 

I'm sorry you cannot pay within the 4 days ebay allows for buyers. The order will cancel automatically after the full timeframe passes. 

I recommend that if you find another seller with the same item, you wait to bid or buy until you are able to pay in a timely fashion.

Sincerely, 

Seller

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Frustrating to say the least, but yes you have to use what you are given to deal with non-payers. The block is a good thing. Doing the cancel for non payment is a good thing. Everyone can block any and all "buyers" that have two or more non payments in the past 12 months.

It is what we have which is better than nothing.

Since this item did "sell" at auction, you now have a good idea of what someone might pay so you could consider a buy it now with immediate payment if that fits with what you want to do.

I hope you have many sales. Everything will not flow smoothly but you will be fine.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply