cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boycott eBay Due To Managed Payments!

eBay is a major player in the secondhand sale market and is an integral part of moving merchandise for a seller.  However,  I'm really getting tired of eBay's managed payment policies.  Once again a buyer opened a return.  Apparently they purchased a gift and the recipient didn't want it.  So now after almost the 30 day return window they decide to return.  

Here's the problem, managed payments is withholding my funds from future payouts in the amount of this transaction, which is well over $ 2,000.   In my opinion this is an unethical policy and I'm a Top Rated Seller for a reason.  I deliver exceptional service and I will refund my customer, once I get the item back in its original condition.  So the buyer has until February 17th to return this item and 2 business days have passed by and they have yet to return it.  So my funds from future sales are on hold until they return the item an I issue a refund. 

Does anyone else agree with this, as unethical business practices on behalf of eBay's managed payments?  

I sell on Mercari, Offer Up, and Poshmark, and they don't have these policies in place for returns.  

I believe in order to be taken seriously we would have to get over 500,000 sellers or more to boycott eBay.  That's the only manner we can be heard.   Until then, if I decide to boycott along with a few others, nothing will be done,  we are replaceable and expendable. 

Message 1 of 167
latest reply
166 REPLIES 166

While I agree with you, and will most likely be moving on from eBay once I am forced out on 1 March since I refuse to sign up for managed payments, I doubt much will change. They are making all that money that was going to PayPal, who they know they can't compete against. Their only option is to remove PayPal from the picture and force everybody to MP even if that means losing a small percentage of their sellers.

I will be moving to another platform, and I am hoping that others that are leaving eBay due to MP will cause enough traffic for those platforms to catch up and eventually surpass eBay. For years, eBay has not had serious competition, but I don't think that is the case anymore. Good luck!

Message 2 of 167
latest reply

What's to boycott?  It's a done deal, no other option.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 3 of 167
latest reply

Boycott? Ok, you go first.

Message 4 of 167
latest reply

Way ahead of you. Honestly, I have no issue giving out SSN or bank info. My only issue is paying basically the same fees for a lesser product. Sadly it won’t make a dent in the stockholders wallets so it’s of no consequence. I really enjoyed selling here, but all good things must come to an end. 

Message 5 of 167
latest reply

Good luck whereever you land.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 6 of 167
latest reply

@jbsound8o2e 

To be real with you, Mercari has already surpassed eBay.  My sales are more than double on Mercari as opposed to eBay and I love their policies.  Offer Up, although the customer base overall are more on the cheap side and tend to lowball a seller, is also catching up.    Poshmark takes too many fees,  but has an abundance of people.

Message 7 of 167
latest reply

@rufreakinuts 

I also have no issue giving out my SSN and bank information.  We all have to pay taxes on our profit and it is only legitimate to provide that information to eBay.  

What I have a problem with is "Your funds will be on hold from future sales until you resolve the return"  I ship out the next day and offer free 30 day returns.  So the customer is given plenty of time to return an item with no questions asked for a full refund.  So my money from sales from here on out are on hold until I refund the buyer.  That is the most ridiculous policy I've ever heard of.  On top of that, the buyer has until February 17th, 2021 to send this back out to me.  The 17th will be 45 days from when the item was delivered to them.

Are you all seriously ok with having your funds on hold for up to 3 weeks?  It really doesn't affect me, as I have plenty in the bank.  However, I care about all the small sellers, who live paycheck to paycheck and need access to money ASAP.

Message 8 of 167
latest reply

@divwido 

Thank you, but honestly, I just want eBay to hear me out and reform this policy of holding on to seller's funds.

Message 9 of 167
latest reply

@dansjewelersca.h  I’m definitely not ok with that policy, or many of the other insane policies they try to push on sellers. I was willing to deal with all the garbage because I was getting paid instantly. As soon as I researched what was actually going to happen with managed payments, I decided right then that I was done selling. I am in the same boat with having enough money where I don’t necessarily have to sell on this platform to make ends meet. I did it as a hobby and thoroughly enjoyed it. Unfortunately, when greed and horrible policies keep getting stacked on top of each other, that signaled the end for me. I also feel bad for the small sellers. Too bad eBay doesn’t share the same sentiment. It’s all about the stockholders. Such a shame. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Message 10 of 167
latest reply

@divwido Thanks div. I’ll probably land at the flea market. Instant cash is my friend. 

Message 11 of 167
latest reply

I'm with you, managed payments is about to ruin Ebay as we know it.  Most of my favorite sellers are gone and took the deals with them - no boycott required. Ebay becomes waste of valuable time just like social media **bleep**.

Message 12 of 167
latest reply

I just started on Mercari.   It is amazing how many views and likes that my listings are receiving.  I have already sold 2 items.   Ebay is definitely losing buyers and sellers.

Message 13 of 167
latest reply

I too will be moving to Mercari. This is a bad move on eBay's part. I hope they monitor these forums in some capacity. I used to love eBay.. but this is too much.

Message 14 of 167
latest reply

@4everctr 

I wish I would have started selling on Mercari when it first opened up.  At that time until October of 2020 they only charged 10% final value fees.   Now they charge a processing fee of 2.9% on top of the 10%, but I am with you in agreement.  I get tons more views, questions, and interest from potential buyers.  

Wish you the best on there!

Message 15 of 167
latest reply