cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accounting nightmare

So, what happened to the equation of gross sales, less fees, less shipping equals net profit?  I reconcile my MP reports weekly so I know what my fees are.... but!  when you look at the monthly statement from eBay, they START with the monthly order total minus fees!  This number should be the GROSS number.... not a "semi-gross" number.  There is no solid line item number to state exactly how much your fees were during the month.  Yes, the fees are down in the detailed statement should you wish to go and break them out one by one.  It seems that they are working really hard to prevent the regular person from knowing exactly how much money they are making on each sale.  There is a lot more work now to get to your bottom line.  Ok, vent over... I wish they would stop breaking what was working sort of fine.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Accounting nightmare

Mp accounting is for them: not users;

Has gotten better if you can believe it...

As for not broke: its a rule with eBay fix it any way and then it breaks.... Seems like its the way they think...

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

and I'm sure we all appreciate the fact they have done away with file exchange too..... We've been on ebay over 20 years... it's getting harder to tolerate every update....

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

The 'statement' has always been confusing. True and actual 'FEES' can be found by running a 'report'. I do it monthly. I add a line at the top row, and use that to 'total' all the 'fees'. There are some things that have to be done to get this accurate.

1.) Delete all 'holds'

2.) Add a column next to the 'gross' and title it 'Refunds'

3.) Move all refunds (manually) into that column (as a plus)- then zero out in the 'gross' column. This allows you to get a true 'gross' with the 'refunds' now being a separate line.

4.) Add a column near the far left for 'other fees' (which are 'store monthly cost, 2nd category cost (if you have) and Promoted item costs. Total that column as well. 

5.) Overall you will have 3 columns for 'Costs'; one for the .30c; one for the actual Final Value Fee and then that 1st column of 'other fees'; total these 3 and these are your true costs.

6.) If you have additional fees, like International, or Bad Boy fees (5%); you will also want to total those up and add them to 'costs'

I will be waiting for my 1099 to see what figure they are actually using, as the way the MP reports come out now, they put all the pluses (Gross) with minuses (refunds) in the same column, but again- I seperate them as that is how Schedule C is filled out. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply