cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay fees are getting too expensive!!!

maddog1273
Adventurer
I just sold a few items and noticed eBay took 12% of my total....Plus PayPal (Who is owned by eBay) took another 3%......
This is ridiculous!!!!
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html

Is there any way to get these fees lowered for future listings. Like starting a store OR am I doing something wrong????

Any suggestions would be appreciated.....
Message 1 of 438
latest reply
437 REPLIES 437

I just made a successful sale on Ebay and the Buyer was happy.  BUT I am going to stop selling on Ebay.  It is not fair that the Buyer can get their money back even if they do not return the product to you.  Ebay has gone from limited support for Buyers to Buyers are in full control and can easily just complain to Ebay and the Seller is left holding the bag. No wonder Ebay popularity has fallen off.  In the future I will use Craigslist, with its problems, but the sold price is the final price.   

Message 166 of 438
latest reply

Artie...I think this is your cue?

Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom. ~ Sir Terry Pratchett
Message 167 of 438
latest reply

Yeah as soon as these listings of mine are done I'm done selling here. Haven't sold in a while and now I remember why.

The fee's are crazy, I appreciate having a large audience sure, but it just feels like I'm being fleeced with fee's especially when Ebay and Paypal tag team you.

Also I keep reading horror stories about the buyers scamming sellers, is this really so wide spread and common, I'm selling some epxensive things here and I would hate to get ripped off. Especially since a lot of the people interested are international, it feels like i have even less protection against that.

Message 168 of 438
latest reply

buyers scamming sellers, is this really so wide spread and common, 

hummm, let's see....

you're selling large lots...at much dollars....without a return policy.....

I'd say you're a good candidate for being scammed !

!000 energy cards....maybe closer to 1200.....possible 1st editions.....played to like mint.....

You're all over the **bleep** board with your description........

Could be this ....could be that   !!!    Who knows what their gonna get ??

That's rife to be taken advantage of....

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 169 of 438
latest reply

So I'm inviting myself to be scammed? Like a girl who wears a short dress is asking for it? Right...

I'm not a power seller. I found some stuff in my house to sell. I don't run a store. I pop a picture and sell it. That does't mean I deserved to be scammed. Buyers have protection not sellers?

They are getting what I am saying they are getting. Between 1000 and 1200 cards. As long as they don't get 900 cards or 1500 cards that works right?

That is a legitimate question. Do I have to be more exact with something like this though? I counted out the cards in an esttimate fashion.

Also if a buyer gets something that is not described and they get their money back, that is fair. But if they don't have to mail back the item how is that even remotely fair?

Message 170 of 438
latest reply

Welcome to The Part Timers Forum Storm.

As Komo pointed out, your listings are a Scammers dream come true. Using that listing this is what you posted on today's eBay.

Ehhhhh, I dunno.....1000.....1200...doesn't matter does it?....I'm willing to bet there are some older 1st edition energies in there....but I didn't check so you tell me after you get them!.Don't complain if there ain't!...The energy condition ranges from played to like mint but I haven't a clue which are.....but eehhhhh, that doesn't matter does it?....The rare cards may be mint or the common ones, that doesn't matter does it???...

You came here to complain about the fees but we're trying to prevent you from returning with a sob story of losing it all, cards-money-S&H fees-eBay fees-PayPal fees....

Hope this helps!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 171 of 438
latest reply

Thanks for the welcome.

Everything in that post is true. I'm not sure if there are 1st editions in there.

There are between 1000 and 1200 cards in there.

The conditions range between played and mint. Because some were played and some are mint. Again as long as I don't ship out 600 bent cards a dog chewed on, they can still claim they got an item not as listed in the description though? And then they don't have to mail it back? And I have to refund and not get the cards back?

I'll agree I could have put more work into that; an exact card count how many are first editions. But that shouldn't mean I deserve to get scammed.

My listing doesn't say:

"A stack of pokemon cards for sale."

Even then if the buyer bought a lot of cards that says a stack of cards and there are a picture of a stack of cards. I would think the buyer has more accountbility than the seller. Personally I wouldn't buy "a stack of cards." Because it is so vague. But he would have a hard time saying "Hi I bought a stack of cards, the description read: 'a stack of cards'. What I got was a column of cards. I would like to get my money back. Oh I don't want to mail back the stack, er column of cards either." Since he did indeed buy a listing that claimed he would be getting a "Stack of Pokemon cards" and he got a "Stack of Pokemon Cards".

It has been a while since I sold on here. a very very long while. I imagine some ugly things happened since then to make this the place it is today. I got a 100's of things I want to sell so we can move. But I will not posting the rest here. I'm not a store or a mega seller so I get no discount and both ebay and paypal want to charge some hefty fees. I had no idea that selecting no return policy would be the bad choice as it was just the default choice when I made a listing. And I changed that on all the listings I could, some I could not. I htink because someone bid on them.

Anyway sorry for the rant/vent. Thanks for the tips; I actually found a very useful post on how to avoide scams as a buyer so I'll edit whichever postings I'm allowed to edit.

Message 172 of 438
latest reply

@stormbringergt wrote:

Thanks for the welcome.

..... Again as long as I don't ship out 600 bent cards a dog chewed on, they can still claim they got an item not as listed in the description though? And then they don't have to mail it back? And I have to refund and not get the cards back?

Another welcome to the part-timers board!

If the buyer opens a case, the seller has to make sure to choose "Return for refund". The ebay default is the buyer keeps it and seller refunds. Having a return policy makes it a lot more clear to would-be scammers that it's not gonna happen that way.

There are still good buyers around who would be delighted to get a stack of pokemon cards & dig through them to find treasures.

And yes, there are some scammers as well, and they could take out the mint/more valuable ones and return the rest.

I think with pokemon cards you're more likely to get a true collector rather than a scammer. Just my take.

Message 173 of 438
latest reply

I never said you deserve to be scammed.......& I hope you never do !
@stormbringergt wrote:

So I'm inviting myself to be scammed? Like a girl who wears a short dress is asking for it? Right...

Not inviting.....but leaving yourself open to it !

( & BTW....a girl in a short dress is asking to be noticed .....NOTHING MORE !!!!!  ) 

I'm not a power seller. I found some stuff in my house to sell. I don't run a store. I pop a picture and sell it. That does't mean I deserved to be scammed. Buyers have protection not sellers?

Seller have to follow certain parameters to protect themselves.

Take photo's like there's no description

&

Describe like there's no pictures !

They are getting what I am saying they are getting. Between 1000 and 1200 cards. As long as they don't get 900 cards or 1500 cards that works right?

Wrong ! If you're selling 1087 cards.....say you're selling 1087 cards.

That is a legitimate question. Do I have to be more exact with something like this though? I counted out the cards in an esttimate fashion.

If you buy a car , you don't want to hear that it has between 90,000 and 106,000 miles on it & was owned by 3 to 7 people !!!   DO YOU ???

Also if a buyer gets something that is not described and they get their money back, that is fair. But if they don't have to mail back the item how is that even remotely fair?

.They have to mail it back if you tell them they have to mail it back !

If you reply NO RETURNS........THEY GET TO KEEP IT ALL !!!!

Message 174 of 438
latest reply

Wrong ! If you're selling 1087 cards.....say you're selling 1087 cards.

Except I'm not sure how many cards are in it lol!

If you buy a car , you don't want to hear that it has between 90,000 and 106,000 miles on it & was owned by 3 to 7 people !!!   DO YOU ???

If the car was a great deal perhaps... but no I personally would not buy a car with a range for milageage. However our personal buying preferences are not on trial here. Its me selling something how I described and them trying to weasel out of it by saying its now how it was describing.

If you buy a car with between 90,000 and 106,000 miles on it. Then you buy a car with 90,000 and 106,000 miles on it. You knew what you were buying because that is what was in the description. If you want to buy a car with a set amount of miles find a car with a set amount of miles.

.They have to mail it back if you tell them they have to mail it back !

If you reply NO RETURNS........THEY GET TO KEEP IT ALL !!!!

This may be a mistake on my part. I was under the impression that if someone bought something and I had a no return policy that they COULD NOT RETURN IT. It was sold as is. Not that they could keep it and get their money back. Walk into any store and tell them you want to return the Xbox you just bought and get your money back. Except you want to keep it. They will laugh you out of the store.

In any case I am changing my policies so that I can protect myself against such things.

I understand I can sell elsewhere. I do and I plan to.

Comcast has a similar deal going on. Cable interenet prices too high? Ha! Go to our competitors.

Oh wait we don't have any here. Just dial up. So yes I could get internet elsewhere. But it would suck and it would be slow. Or I can pay comcast for meh speeds. Its just plain greedy.

Anyway, thanks opening my eyes to how some things work. I'm crossing my fingers this $250 lot I sold goes through. And he doesn't try to return something I specified he can't return.

Message 175 of 438
latest reply

This may be a mistake on my part. I was under the impression that if someone bought something and I had a no return policy that they COULD NOT RETURN IT. It was sold as is. Not that they could keep it and get their money back.

Ebay is not a store & they don't work like one.

The impression that you were under is shared by many many eBay sellers.

If the buyer actually had no recorse but to keep any item bought on eBay it would be a sellers paradise.......unfortunatly it would also mean that every 3rd seller would be shipping rocks !

Message 176 of 438
latest reply

Which means if you bought an auction that said rocks in the description and you got rocks its kinda your own fault.

Why does the internet and common sense not go hand and hand?

Also ebay is not a store? Tell that to the probably hundreds of thousands of people who runs ebay stores through them.

Heck I'm pretty sure toyrus sells stuff through ebay.

I agree ebay used to not be a store but like someone else said today's ebay is a different beast.

Anyway lets stop derailing this thread, we are discussing the wrong evils of ebay here. You are not going to change my mind and I am not going to change yours and at least we can agree on that. 😄

Message 177 of 438
latest reply

I'm not looking to change your mind ..... 

It's your right to list items anyway you want to  & to tell your buyers that you do not accept returns....ever.

Stick to your guns .

( PS... that's an expression .....)

Message 178 of 438
latest reply

Hi guys! 

Message 179 of 438
latest reply

Hi, to you, andyzcat!  What's up? grin.gif

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 180 of 438
latest reply