eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

Re: eBay fees are getting too expensive!!!

in reply to cort89

cort89 wrote:
  • i use a spreadsheet that calculates the paypal fee (1.5% + .30) the 10% FVF and then using a postal chart or calculator the shipping costs, this allows me to play with the prices and see what i could expect to net at various prices. Also factoring in if ebay has any promotions going.

What kind of a deal do you have that gets you 1.5% PayPal fees? I didn't think they went below 2.4% even for high-volume sellers.

Please use plain text.
komokwa
Community Member

in reply to cort89

i have made a good amount of money on ebay, yes i could make more

by calling ebay up and offering to write ads for their next promo  !!!

You're a natural !

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Please use plain text.
cort89
Community Member

in reply to maddog1273

I came by this form by by accident and just wanted to weigh in. i have made a good amount of money on ebay, yes i could make more *possibly* using other avenues to sell my goods, but ebay is so convienent, it connects me with millions of buyers around the world and integrates support services. Even though ebay+paypal+shiping fees eat up about a third to half of the profits, i am still making money,  with minimal effort. Yes the fees are too high, but ebay is a business, their mission is to increase shareholder value, you cant do that giving services away. You pay for the features and the access to ebay's user base, and bottom line is if you don't want to pay the fees, don't sell on ebay.  The effects of the fees can be mitigated by planning here is my process:

• i use a spreadsheet that calculates the paypal fee (1.5% + .30) the 10% FVF and then using a postal chart or calculator the shipping costs, this allows me to play with the prices and see what i could expect to net at various prices. Also factoring in if ebay has any promotions going.

• Then i compare prices to what has sold on ebay, then i decide if the item is worth listing here, or if i should look into other avenues (or even donate to goodwill)

• If i am happy with the net gain ebay would provide i go ahead and list.

If you do not plan, you can easily loose money. Know your products, Know your costs, Know your market.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to devkblue

devkblue wrote:

I agree.  I have not sold anything on ebay for a very long time.  I am so disapointed with the whole process.  I listed some jewelry for my mom, so that she can get some money to move out of her drug infested neighborhood.  First you have to set the price low enough for someone to even want to bid, and not to many people are bidding that much anymore.  Second the insertion fees were free, this time around which normally would have cost me $23.00, very little sold.  So I would have been stuck paying that price as well as the payment I had to make on what did sell, which was high.  E-bay tells you the price to ship is 2.32, well that maybe fine but paypal will take from that shipping a fee, and then ebay will take from that shipping as well as the final value fee, so I end up eatting most of the shipping! Paypal by the way IS EBAY TOO.    I did not make much at all.  I am so ashamed to even tell my mother, what little I got.  When  I tried to do what I thought would help her.   I should have just had a garage sale, or sell on etsy. No one is buying much and ebay and paypal take way to much for fee's.  There is no profit for the little guy to make anymore it all goes to big business. 

So you:

1) Didn't check completed listings to see how comparable pieces of jewelry were selling;

2) Didn't charge enough for shipping (that price they "told" you was based what YOU told them);

3) Didn't pay a dime to list a bunch of items that didn't sell, but were upset about the fees on what did sell;

4) Didn't check other venues before listing here.

And it's all Big Bad eBay's fault. Right.

Please use plain text.
komokwa
Community Member

in reply to flywelstore

if wishes were horses beggers would ride...............

Please use plain text.
flywelstore
Community Member

in reply to devkblue

This is one of those threads that I wish would have gotten lost in the move :smileysad:

This one and the "ebay su**s" one ....

Maybe there should just be a board where all of these posts go, where everyone can just whine at each other and agree that they shouldn't have to read any stinkin' User Agreement or learn anything about fees and rules.

*Sigh*

Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom. ~ Sir Terry Pratchett
Please use plain text.
devkblue
Community Member

in reply to jamilla999

I agree.  I have not sold anything on ebay for a very long time.  I am so disapointed with the whole process.  I listed some jewelry for my mom, so that she can get some money to move out of her drug infested neighborhood.  First you have to set the price low enough for someone to even want to bid, and not to many people are bidding that much anymore.  Second the insertion fees were free, this time around which normally would have cost me $23.00, very little sold.  So I would have been stuck paying that price as well as the payment I had to make on what did sell, which was high.  E-bay tells you the price to ship is 2.32, well that maybe fine but paypal will take from that shipping a fee, and then ebay will take from that shipping as well as the final value fee, so I end up eatting most of the shipping! Paypal by the way IS EBAY TOO.    I did not make much at all.  I am so ashamed to even tell my mother, what little I got.  When  I tried to do what I thought would help her.   I should have just had a garage sale, or sell on etsy. No one is buying much and ebay and paypal take way to much for fee's.  There is no profit for the little guy to make anymore it all goes to big business. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to hidy-hoo

WOW! Ummm

Is everything okay?

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Please use plain text.
hidy-hoo
Community Member

in reply to maddog1273

The original post was dated May 2010 ~ fees will continue to go up, along with the price of gas, groceries, etc.  If y'all can't come up with a business plan that includes a profit after deducting eBay fees, you need to find another line of work!

How much better would life be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire?flickering flame photo: flame flickering small Flame.gif
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to maddog1273

I agree

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to maddog1273

EBAY IS TAKING ALOT OF OUR PROFIT. I JUST REALIZE I MADE LESS PROFIT THEN EBAY.  The fees are soooo expensive. i started sellig again and wow almost 15% fees betwwen ebay and paypal. slowly people will start looking for other sites cause thats just to much money. i work with cell phones and alot of my customers even said they no longer sell on ebay i now understand why. 

Please use plain text.
komokwa
Community Member

in reply to tobydanieljones

That can't be right ??

@ 28%........no one would be selling anything...not even BBF !

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to a_sharper_image

Ebay have changed their pricing structure

http://sellercentre.ebay.co.uk/introduction-ebay-fees

I have a bag that I think will sell for £4.99. It will cost me £3.90 to post.

I could start at 99p with £3.90 postage, or £4.99 with £3.90 postage, or £8.89 with free postage. Or use BIN. Either way (assuming it goes for £4.99 on the auction, and it's one of my 20 free posts) the fee (including paypal fee) is £1.40

£1.40 of £4.99 is 28% !

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to komokwa

I believe the reply before yours is from an eBay staff member? Of course, we're about 100,000 people shor of what we need to get a response :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
aokga
Community Member

in reply to crazymancreations

And I LOVE the-ranch......

Please use plain text.
komokwa
Community Member

in reply to jonnybb1

You can't compare eBay to an auction-house that sells tractors,

ohhh, around here I can pretty much do what I want !

Please use plain text.
jonnybb1
Community Member

in reply to komokwa

BOTTOM LINE - 13% is too much for selling items commercially online. There is no profit to be made and still be competitive. YOu can't just raise the price to cover the fees and free shipping, the buyers will simply go direct to the distributor or local retail store.

You can't compare eBay to an auction-house that sells tractors, eBay does NOT compare to a Barrett Jackson auction. I equate most of the eBay transanctions with that of flea-Market sales, where you have the commerical sellers who show up every week and those who are there to sell off used goods from their garage. No percentages sre skimmed at the final sale.

Since eBay has to be profitable to stay alive, a reasonable compromise would be to charge a flat rate for a seller-store depending on volume and additional resources used to maintain, and less expensive final value fees to the casual sellers. 

A reasonable casual seller fee would be 5% with a 25 cent minimum and not to exceed $100. Now for cars and tractors, you have eBay motors, which is a totally different category of sales that I know nothing about so I'll refrain from sharing my opinions on that. 

I just closed my Business account - Store because I didn't have enough volume and the items was selling I was loosing too much money on. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to maddog1273

Unfortunately, I got slammed too. 

Frankly, takes all the profit one hopes to make out of an item, and in some cases, makes it useless to even place it on eBay.

I'm currently looking at alternative sales site that specialize on what I have to offer; but many are also skimming large fees from the top, even Amazon is doing this. I stop selling with them a while ago, and it seems eBay will be next.

Please use plain text.
komokwa
Community Member

in reply to fltay

How much would you pay in fees at a tractor auction ?

Those r some nice tractors, but I can't tell if you're getting good money for them.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to fltay

fltay wrote:

I'm about done with them, myself.  Too expensive.  They need some competition....

We'll miss you. Your contributions to the forum have been invaluable.

Please use plain text.