cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do unpaid item strikes show up?

I just opened a case on my non-paying bidder. If he doesn't respond (and I don't think he will, as I already warned him about the pending UID) and he gets a strike, will it show up in his feedback or something? Or is the buyer the only one who will be able to see it?
Message 1 of 144
latest reply
143 REPLIES 143

Good afternoon and welcome to The Part Timers Forum.

There's a fly in your onintment that you want to apply to NPB's.....

So ebay levee's a fee on them and they get nothing in return except a slap on the wrist?

Yea, that's gonna fly... But not as fast as buyers flight from eBay!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 61 of 144
latest reply

there's time and labor involved in going through the unpaid item process.

Automation is your friend.  If you set up your Unpaid Item Assistant in My Ebay, you can ignore them and let your automated rules have Ebay deal with them according to your rules about the time frame for starting the dispute process.  

Zero time, zero labor on your part.

Newt
“Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country and giving it to the rich people of a poor country”. Ron Paul
Message 62 of 144
latest reply

dannyclegg
Enthusiast

It doesnt help when you decide to sell your car, and the first guy wins, doesnt even show up and you have to still pay the insertion fee.

or the 2nd time when the next guy doesnt even show up and you have to still pay the insertion fee again.

ebay should charge them this fee, not the seller!

This system only supports the buyer, not the seller!

Should be able to leave negative feedback to warn other sellers, otherwise whats the point of 100% positive feedback?

Message 63 of 144
latest reply

star trek gif photo:  trek_hmm.gif 

Message 64 of 144
latest reply

Though, through experience I have to say, if the fees are levied in a reasonable manner

1. Reasonable buyers won't flee; they'll remain.  The unpaid buyers will likely be the ones to flee.

2. People who have paid late fees -- of $5 per item! -- have returned and used the library again and again.  I don't think an unpaid item fee should be as much as that!  And blocking someone from buying anything else until they address the matter would also help.  Especially since one of my unpaid buyers bought stuff from other people --  for more than my item cost -- and paid for it, but never paid me.  I even sent them a message asking them to contact me so we could work something out and got zero communication.  If I can't pay right away, I always communicate with my seller.  I would not open an unpaid item fee on a buyer who was communicating with me; we would figure it out or agree to cancel the transaction.

3. It is very effective.  The library eventually gets its books back or gets payment.  Students who want to check stuff out, or even want transcripts or to re-enroll years later return books.

Message 65 of 144
latest reply

But I imagine that if you had a dozen libraries available locally and none talked with the others when someone was late, your results might be somewhat different. 

Newt
“Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country and giving it to the rich people of a poor country”. Ron Paul
Message 66 of 144
latest reply

yep.  but sellers check up on their buyers all the time.  and a block on the buyer account would be something that could be processed the way the unpaid items are now.

Message 67 of 144
latest reply

I'm sorry.  I guess I wasn't holding on tightly enough when we went around that last curve.  You lost me with that one.

At any rate and to get back to your original comment/suggestion here, I can't speak for anyone other than me but I can tell you that I am glad Ebay does not levy any sort of buyer fees.  I think it would make them uncompetitive in their current market by driving away good buyers and I absolutely luvs having so many nice, juicy, tasty buyers.  😄

Newt
Message 68 of 144
latest reply

I recently came back to e bay as a seller after a few years, I have had 9 unpaid item cases in the last 30 days, Is this normal now? I have not one buyer pay after the case has been opened.I also have blocked bidders with 2 or more strikes. I can't even get any of the bidders to respond to my emails or invoices. As any seller on ebay, you know how much hard work this is to get things ready to list, write up the descriptions, come up with a value and then get it all listed Plus, once it sells then you have more work to do. I think there should be another way to fix this problem and protect the sellers better. Maybe e bay could also refund the sellers listing fee with the final value fee if unpaid item cases are not paid. I mean that would help. I am losing money with all these unpaid item cases,. especially when  I have to re-list the item and then it doesn't sell the second time.

Message 69 of 144
latest reply

Maybe e bay could also refund the sellers listing fee with the final value fee if unpaid item cases are not paid.

You will be refunded, once you close the case, if the Buyer deadbeat has not paid.

eBay states...

You can close a case for an unpaid item 4 days after the case was opened, or as soon as you receive payment from the buyer.

Once you've closed the case, you'll receive a credit for your final value fee within 24 hours. The case must be closed within 36 days of the sale, or eBay will automatically close the case and you won't receive a final value fee credit.

You should use Unpaid Item Assistant, as most of us do and let the system do

the work for you...

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/unpaid-item-assistant.html

Message 70 of 144
latest reply

Do note that last part... The case must be closed within 36 days of the sale, or eBay will automatically close the case and you won't receive a final value fee credit.

hope this helps.

Message 71 of 144
latest reply

I'm a relatively new seller and after only about 15 items that I've sold, I've already had to file one unpaid item case and later on tonight, I'm going to have to open another one. I heard that sometimes, bigger ebay sellers will open dummy accounts and use them to bid and "win" your item, then not paying which keeps your item that might be similar to theirs off the market for at least 6 days until you can close the transaction while still being properly reimbursed for your final value fee. Another problem is that, unless you go through the 'unpaid item' process, the buyer can still leave feedback. So while I'd love to just cancel the transaction and give a second chance offer to the other bidder, I don't want to risk the person leaving erroneous feedback.
Message 72 of 144
latest reply

Ebay has a problem with unpaid items and they are not dealing with it .  There should be a system in place where the seller can require an email ahead of bidding from " buyers" who have less than say 10 feedbacks.  Many sellers have a small home business and this is taking food off their table.  Ebay should step up and level the playing field.

Message 73 of 144
latest reply

Good morning and welcome to The Part Timers Forum.

Set your account to the  stricktest settings. Here's the steps:

Wave your cursor over the Account tab and click on Site Preferences.

At the end of the Buyer Requirements row click on Show then Edit

The above are mine, find your comfort level and set them

Make sure you click the Apply above settings to active and future auctions and then Submit at the bottom of the page.

OK, so what's next? The Unpaid Item Dispute of course! File it! Set up the Unpaid Item Assistant and let eBay be the bad guy doing your dirty work. They will get an Unpaid Item Mark, not a "Strike" as eBay doesn't want these NPB's to be offended by the derogatry annotation it infers.

Last is to add the NPB to your BBL. Amazing the number of times I've read of a seller not doing this only to be bit in the dupa again by the same NPB...

The above are my settings, observations and opinions, yours may differ.....:-p

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 74 of 144
latest reply

"...No, they put in your credit score, hidden from public eyes."

Except your credit score isn't really "hidden from public eyes". Its accessible to any company hiring you for a job or a company/individual who has access to you social security number or a seller of certain items (i.e. automotive dealer).

I see no problem not being able to leave negative feedback, especially for strict buyers, considering there is no indication of how many unpaid item strikes are needed for account suspension and there is literally no visible indicator showing the performance of a buyer. Also, what prevents a buyer from having 2 unpaid item strikes from just starting over since most buyers are blocked from viewing listings after 2, but aren't suspended? Essentially, you don't know if a buyers bad until you've wasted time going through the resolution center and giving them every opportunity to pay and even then, no one else will know since their record is "spotless" to any viewer. 

At any rate, you should be able to leave some sort of feedback after you've gone through the resolution center. Doing this would prevent bad sellers from just lambasting people with bad feedback and would allow sellers to spot bad buyers and pull listings more quickly.  

Message 75 of 144
latest reply