cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop Sniping!

chris.nall25
Enthusiast
I just recently started my eBay business and along with all the research I've been doing about buyer trends etc... I've noticed this idea of sniping and sniping services essentially nulling the point of an auction. Can we suggest eBay institute a system change if so where do we do that? My suggestion would be any bid placed within the last minute automatically extends the auction by 1 minute. This would allow the person willing to pay the most actually won the auction. Can you imagine going to a live auction where the auctioneer held a stop watch and whoever blurted out the loudest in the last 2 seconds won? No of course not, why should eBay be any different. eBay and sellers would make more money, The buyer who wants it the most gets it. Seems like a win win to me. What are your thoughts?
Message 1 of 265
latest reply
264 REPLIES 264

Stop Sniping!

The last ten minutes I will research the Seller to see IF I want to buy from them..How high is their feedback? any Doughnuts? Why? ( Sometimes they are from unreasonable buyers, or the Seller has ben working on their problems and the doughnuts are old.) What are their TOS's? Do they sound agreeable and fair, or ???! I read the ALL the description again to see if there is anything I missed that might make me not want the item OR not want to deal with the Seller..

Whoa. I do that before I place the first bid!
Message 106 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

I always liked snipers. I've sold to a lot of them on Ebay over the years. So long as my items sold, I didn't care if they bid early or waited until the last possible moment. Snipers should be welcomed, not shunned. As long as the seller prices their item at what they're willing to take, I don't see the problem.

********************************************************************************

The fragrance always remains in the hand that gives the rose.

For the sake of others, please learn CPR. You could save a life.

Message 107 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

Are you complaining because you got beat. There wil always be last minute bidders, no one can control that and why should Ebay care? A bid is a bid.

No he's complaining because no one else had a chance to re bid after the snipe hit, which I totally understand, but unfortunately no eBay will not do anything about it, because a bid IS a bid, a sale is a sale and in eBays opinion that's what counts. This is one reason I am leaving eBay, other than constant fee changes and increases making it impossible to make any money here.

BYE ALL
CRNicholls
Message 108 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

No he's complaining because no one else had a chance to re bid after the snipe hit, which I totally understand

I've bid on hundreds of eBay auctions, and I've never needed to re-bid. Once I've placed my one and only bid for the most I'm willing to spend, eBay has re-bid for me.

If you haven't figured that out after being a member for eight years, then maybe it is time for you to bow out.
Message 109 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

kali-the-pup
Thrill-Seeker
No he's complaining because no one else had a chance to re bid after the snipe hit...

Surely, you are not advocating a never-ending re-bid process for eBay auctions? I can envision the schillers salivating just at the thought.

Each listing has an expiration date, and the highest bid wins... how can anything be seen as unfair about that? I have been the high bidder on 7 day auctions, where I had placed my proxy bid within the first 24 hours. I have also, sniped within five seconds, of a 7 day auction, ending and lost to a proxy bid placed days earlier...

It's not the last bid that wins ... it is the highest bid. What next... a 'higher offer option' for those who get upset that another bidder bought a BIN item before they did? Bid once, bid your max... you win, do the happy dance... you lose, better luck next time, and yes, there will be a next time.

B-)
Message 110 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

This one is for all the Nay-Sayers.

As I've posted in the past I often throw a low ball bid & have the item on my watch list. After a few emails with the seller I set my snipe service to my max bid plus a dollar & a penny.;-)

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 111 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

I am a buyer and seller on ebay and I use sniping when I really want something. I think it is great!!!
Message 112 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

No he's complaining because no one else had a chance to re bid after the snipe hit, which I totally understand, but unfortunately no eBay will not do anything about it, because a bid IS a bid, a sale is a sale and in eBays opinion that's what counts. This is one reason I am leaving eBay, other than constant fee changes and increases making it impossible to make any money here.

BYE ALL

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 113 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

There is no need to snipe any longer... Nobody even bids any more.

Shill bids don't count...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Toy: 1996 Adamas 1881 ;  photo d3c27a4e-2de6-48e4-8a38-73242748826d_zpsbb3k8gvk.jpg
Message 114 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

As a seller you should love snipers because they make the market more efficient and liquid. I understand that the tech might frustrate the casual buyer, but that's the nature of the Brave New World out there. One thing that can be done if you really know your market and price ranges...always put a buy it now feature. I understand you might think you are limiting your upside, but if you put a BIN at say a buck or so above the highest prices that you see being completed in your market, then the nature of frustration in auctions starts to work in your favor and you start to get spite buyers. It's irrational, but buyers in auctions will purchase just to win. If you take the time and do some work you can start squeezing more out of your auctions. Than again, if you're just part time and don't care....good luck with your new Ebay business.
Message 115 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

sarramit64
Enthusiast
Im wondering if you are still in business ? Maybe this isnt the place for you to be selling if you dont like the system .There will always be people that find an angle to get the best price on things, on here at a flea market and alot of other places too. The world has enough cry babies already , im just sayin.
Message 116 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

Im wondering if you are still in business ? Maybe this isnt the place for you to be selling if you dont like the system .There will always be people that find an angle to get the best price on things, on here at a flea market and alot of other places too. The world has enough cry babies already , im just sayin.

Sarra , if you're going to call someone a cry baby on a thread with 115 posts , it's proper to address that person by their ebay handle , so we'll know who you're talking to , when you say ...you this , & ..you that.

I'm just saying.....

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 117 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

Im wondering if you are still in business ? ...

...The world has enough cry babies already , im just sayin.

Like that man said... Who are you talking to?

The original post was over Two Years ago.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Toy: 1996 Adamas 1881 ;  photo d3c27a4e-2de6-48e4-8a38-73242748826d_zpsbb3k8gvk.jpg
Message 118 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

I am a sniper! I just used a common sense and thought why should I bid 5 days before, it will just drive the bid up more, so I waited till the end and then bid, that was my first bid and it worked, so I stayed with that.
Message 119 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

Well said Cesta.
You gotta go with what works for you !!

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 120 of 265
latest reply