cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop Sniping!

chris.nall25
Enthusiast
I just recently started my eBay business and along with all the research I've been doing about buyer trends etc... I've noticed this idea of sniping and sniping services essentially nulling the point of an auction. Can we suggest eBay institute a system change if so where do we do that? My suggestion would be any bid placed within the last minute automatically extends the auction by 1 minute. This would allow the person willing to pay the most actually won the auction. Can you imagine going to a live auction where the auctioneer held a stop watch and whoever blurted out the loudest in the last 2 seconds won? No of course not, why should eBay be any different. eBay and sellers would make more money, The buyer who wants it the most gets it. Seems like a win win to me. What are your thoughts?
Message 1 of 265
latest reply
264 REPLIES 264

Stop Sniping!

2minutes - thanks for the info on MaximumBid - I'll look into that.  I guess eBay doesn't advertise it much cause I've never heard about it before...

Message 166 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

2minutes - thanks for the info on MaximumBid - I'll look into that.  I guess eBay doesn't advertise it much cause I've never heard about it before...

Lol...2M was referring to a max "proxy" bid. Don't nibble bid, just throw all the cards on the table and while your competitive bidders are nibbling...eBay will nibble right back for you until your proxy max is reached....in dollar increments after $20.

Message 167 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

kali-the-pup
Thrill-Seeker

skee, here is some info on it...

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/automatic-bidding.html

Further to minty's point, as opposed to nibbling and getting caught up in the emotion of the moment, you place your Max Bid and let the system bid for you... no paying more than you intended to, because of the heat of the moment.

Message 168 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

Skeemirsky , I realized what was being said but thank you for the explanation .

Not to beat a dead horse (which I am ) . Highest bidder wins , it really is that simple ,doesn't mtter if you are using a sniping program , sniping by yourself or bid early .Whom ever is willing to pay the most wins,all other arguments are pointless ,

If you are really concerned about security go toa b and m store and pay in cash , that is the only really %100 safe way unless you get jacked in the parking lot.

I don't do normal.......
Message 169 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

And this would be 175, right?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Toy: 1996 Adamas 1881 ;  photo d3c27a4e-2de6-48e4-8a38-73242748826d_zpsbb3k8gvk.jpg
Message 170 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

Till 200!

Message 171 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

I'll beat a dead horse some more and help you guys get to 200.  You know the way you guys talk about post 200 it seems like eBay offers some kind of reward for it.  Maybe they should, or some wacko millionaire should... though then people will be "sniping" to get post 200...

My idea (as mentioned before but a little more refined)-- eBay could let you put in *WHEN* you want your bid entered, including at the very end of the auction.

However, nobody would put in early bids this way, so there could be a reward for early bidders-- ie, the increment between bids goes up as time goes by, so that a "snipe" at the end of the auction has to jump a good amount above the highest bid at that point, so in a sense you "pay" a little extra to snipe.  There could definitely be other alternatives to find incentives for early bidding, I'll keep working on that and get back to you all so that your dream of 200 posts can become a reality.

eBay, if you use this idea, please send me a box of kitty-cat figurines.

Message 172 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

I really don't see the issue with bidding at the end of the auction .What does it matter if you bid in the first 5 minutes or the last 5 minutes of an auction ?

I don't do normal.......
Message 173 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

OK I'LL HELP AS WELL!!!;-)

21 TO GO

Nobody calls me Lebowski. You got the wrong guy. I'm the Dude, man.
Message 174 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

that would be 20 to go,lol

I don't do normal.......
Message 175 of 265
latest reply

Stop Sniping!

19......and ticking

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 176 of 265
latest reply