cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The upcoming spring and summer swap meets

I hope they're better for selling vintage car parts, than ebay has been...Because that is where I'm heading, with the "good" stuff."Smiley Wink  I just wonder if the whole old car thing is winding down...At least from what it has been.  Though I realize parts for these are ubiquitous, I know some 1955-57 Chevy parts vendors, who are crying.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: The upcoming spring and summer swap meets

@u_cant_take_it_with_u wrote:

I hope they're better for selling vintage car parts, than ebay has been...Because that is where I'm heading, with the "good" stuff."Smiley Wink  I just wonder if the whole old car thing is winding down...At least from what it has been.  Though I realize parts for these are ubiquitous, I know some 1955-57 Chevy parts vendors, who are crying.

I think many of us are heading to the flee markets and swap meets. I have not need to hold on to my inventory to list 50 items with GTC. Many of us in different catagories have seen a major slow down in sales.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Probably a little of each.

I think the old car market has been done to death; it's been in a "bubble" and many of us feel that what ya have to pay for decent cars, and parts, just isn't worth it. I'd say the next big thing will be people using 70's-90's cars as daily drivers- to escape the cost and over-complexity of new cars- and thus, they will be looking for parts to keep those cars going, as opposed to paying top dollar for parts to make their cars "factory new".

That, coupled with what Ebay has become- and how it is no longer really a place for the occasional or amateur seller, definitely makes other options more attractive.

Personally, I've never liked swap meets though- I don't want to waste hours walking around to look for something which may or may not be there.... That is why I used to love the OLD Ebay- because you could search for what you need...find it, and order it- any time of day or night at your convenience, while petting the dog and picking your nose.

I get the feeling that old car parts is becoming a buyer's market- and I imagine lots of people pricing their stuff way too high and not selling anything, because "they know what it's worth".

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@nunabr0 wrote:

Probably a little of each.

I think the old car market has been done to death; it's been in a "bubble" and many of us feel that what ya have to pay for decent cars, and parts, just isn't worth it. I'd say the next big thing will be people using 70's-90's cars as daily drivers- to escape the cost and over-complexity of new cars- and thus, they will be looking for parts to keep those cars going, as opposed to paying top dollar for parts to make their cars "factory new".

That, coupled with what Ebay has become- and how it is no longer really a place for the occasional or amateur seller, definitely makes other options more attractive.

Personally, I've never liked swap meets though- I don't want to waste hours walking around to look for something which may or may not be there.... That is why I used to love the OLD Ebay- because you could search for what you need...find it, and order it- any time of day or night at your convenience, while petting the dog and picking your nose.

I get the feeling that old car parts is becoming a buyer's market- and I imagine lots of people pricing their stuff way too high and not selling anything, because "they know what it's worth".

I agree.  Old ebay was a breath of fresh air, for those looking for old car parts.  Especially for the over-seas buyers.  But everything has changed... The "parade car" guys are dying off.... And as the O/P mentioned, how many mid-50's Chevys can be restored??  People still enjoy looking at vintage cars, but looking is cheaper than owning.  And yet, right when I see some over-priced emblem, etc., listed, and think it will never sell... It sells! I guess no matter how the car market, buying dynamics, or tastes change... It still only takes ONE buyer.... Even at a not-for-the-faint-of-heart Barrett-Jackson auction. 

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

I hope they're better for selling vintage car parts, than ebay has been.

Sure, a few hundred people looking through your stuff for 3 or 4 days is going to make more sales then the millions on Ebay all over the country and the world will, with a listing for a month or more.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Between ebay manipulating (for whatever reason) listing exposure, and search methodology....And buyers becoming cheap, and skittish,  one could certainly do no worse by selling at a swap meet...  It's just a lot of work,  At least it's two-way communication, to exorcise some salesmanship.  Ebay's only [one way] communication salesmanship, is to sell it super Cheap! Cheap! Cheap!

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

This coming Friday, Saturday, and Sunday is the famous west coast Portland, Oregon swap meet. If you can't find what you need there, then it's more than likely not available anywhere.

On May 3rd and 4th, is my car club's 43rd annual swap meet. Next year, we will do more days because this year we were in negotiations with county for another 3-year contract for 2020, 2021, and 2022. Lots of work, but tons of fun too. We also do a small car show.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

The "REAL" PDX swap meet is Thursday - Saturday at the Portland International Racetrack (PIR).  5 miles of booths on both side and all side streets of the track. This one is my favorite - more swap meet and party. I will be there Thursday.

https://www.facebook.com/PortlandAutoSwapMeet/ 

The "ORIGINAL" PDX swap meet is Friday - Sunday at the Portland Expo Center. In the parking lots and inside the expo center. More "high end" inventory and booths. Less of a party more of a business.

http://portlandswapmeet.com/

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Which is the one where they try and get rid of all the stuff they couldn't move on Ebay? 😉 (I suspect the former- party- one!)

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Yep, PIR start on today and is in it's 14th year, PDX is around 50 years old and starts Friday.

I would of liked to have gone but am spending my swap meet money on installation of a 28 circuit Painless wiring harness tomorrow. Also removing the factory Ford fuel injection system and installing an Edelbrock initake and carburetor on my 35 Ford. Next year, will place the carb on the 64 El Camino and install a Holly or MSD fuel injection system on the 35 Ford.

I'm going to put my factory Ford fuel injection system in our club swap meet, doesn't sell... it goes in the trash. 

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I had great luck with the Painless harness I installed on my LS / 4L80e Swap. Couldn't have been happier. I deleted all of the factory emissions stuff but with everything labeled it was plug and play.

Holly Sniper EFI seems to be all the rage right now but I think they are doing a ton of marketing to make it seem that way.
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I've been talking to people that have installed the FI systems, appears Holley, MSD, and FI-Tech are popular right now. I haven't seen any manufacturer ads for any of them. The least expensive FI-Tech system is either you like it or you don't, but the price is really good for an add-on system. I'm going to pass on all FI-Tech systems.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

My brother and I sold used classic car parts on here for several years starting in 2004.

It was fun and we made a couple bucks along the way.

We came here from working the swap meets.

At the time parts compatability went into effect and fuzzy light up dice from china would fit every make and model of 38 chevys  and 50s buicks we jumped ship and back to the swap meets.

Ebays search engine works to good.

Gone are the days when a simple search like { 1966  Plymouth Satellite parts } would show you just that.

Im overkilling this thing but now you get page after page of import junk and you have to start to filter out the junk you didnt wish to see in the 1st place.

I sell a carb or two now and then but swap meets are good for us.

How can I miss you if you wont go away ?
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

This coming weekend will be the first swap meet for me in years. 

times are changing but then when don't they?

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Starting next Thursday, my car club will be holding their 42nd annual swap meet. I coordinate setting up the building for our inside vendors and acquire our food vendors. I will have a few items for sale, but not too much. I also buy a premium space for our club members to sell their stuff. 

It's a long four days but it is a lot of fun, we have some really good vendors that have been coming for years. Have one older man who belongs to a Ford Model A club about 50 miles away that complains and says he'll never return. Last year I pulled my wallet out and told him to pack up, I was going to refund his money and he was to leave if he was going to continue disrupting my other vendors. I'm hoping he doesn't come back, but his club has for years. I have no idea what his problem is.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply