cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gift Card Fraud

The last month I have been trying to communicate with eBay Gift Card Fraud team about a scamming ring advertising cars. A local person posts the ad, and then when ask to respond, they give a email address. The person answering the email, is very persausive and replies that ebay will handle the transaction. Yes, the first of July I fell for it, and got scammed for $1500. Ebay claims no responsibility, but the $1500 ends up in the bank account of ebay. Ebay then honors the cards numbers for merchandise, and they make a profit on that transaction. Then ebay is alerted that the money was stolen by deceit. They know who bought the merchandise with the gift cards. Why doesn't ebay go back to that account, and debit that account, and return the money, or credit the ebay customer that got burned? On Aug. 1, I was able to identify another ad on CL, that looked like mine.

I played the people involved, and came up with documents, to purchase the vehicle. This sales document, had been updated, and 3 pages of instructions on buying gift cards. Same thing as my July 1 deal. I sent them card numbers from the first time I got burned, knowing those numbers were frozen. I sent a message yesterday afternoon, If everything had worked out for them, and if they got the message? I got a response from this scammer. She said the cards were empty, and to stop wasting her time!!!! How arrogant, and heartless. I responded by saying she needed to be wasting her time in a jail cell, cos she was nothing but a crook. If I can locate these people, what's going on with ebay? I sent them the documents, with ebay logos, and at the end, it even gives the copyright of ebay, saying All Rights Reserved, trademarks of ebay on and on. When I told this story the first time, I got 2 responses. And it says there are over 5,000 included in the ebay community? Really? I wonder about the apathy, or the fear of critisism from the administration. Doesn't anyone care? Speak up. Your company is being scammed.

Message 1 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

Gift Card Fraud

If you have all of this irrefutable evidence, why haven't you sued?

Message 2 of 48
latest reply

Gift Card Fraud

So somebody bought a Honda Accord for $1500 with free shipping from Cali to Missouri that would in itself cost $1000 and it turned out to be a scam? Who are you tring to alert. Nobody over the age of 12 with any common sense would fall for that.

Message 3 of 48
latest reply

Gift Card Fraud

False assumptions.

"A local person posts". That "local" person is in Eastern Europe or Nigeria.

"eBay go back to that account". Those cards have been passed around. eBay has done away with "accounts". Pay and go, just like WalMart.

"If I can locate these people". Really? Where are they? Eastern Europe hiding behind server after server bouncing the location all over the globe?

"Your company is being scammed" Not eBay, just people who find ridiculously low priced cars, with impossible feature "free shipping", suffering from FOMO: Fear Of Missing Out.

"Ad on CL" Which has warnings about exactly this scam.

"Came up with documents". They are all fake.
Message 4 of 48
latest reply

Gift Card Fraud

Tony, Thanks for writing. I have filed a lawsuit, against the lady who originally placed the ad in CL, just by tracing the phone number. She is the one who offered the contract, and I followed directions and paid for the vehicle, and that constitutes a contract. I am suing for the car to be given to me, her part of the contract. Well see what happens. Anyone who answers one of these has the same opportunity.

Message 5 of 48
latest reply

Gift Card Fraud

Since it is now a part of a public record (filing a lawsuit) share the parties and case number.

Message 6 of 48
latest reply

Gift Card Fraud

Obviously you know nothing about buying a car on CL. There are some really kind people that do offer a good car for a low price, with the intention of passing on their good fortune. The scammers say nothing about where the car is, and they start by saying free shipping, and then the price is paid, and then you get a bill for the shipping. That's when it comes apparent, and then the email address is gone. Google allows scammers the opportunity to come into view, and then disappear.

A lot of 12 year olds are doing their own research before shooting their mouth off.

Message 7 of 48
latest reply

Gift Card Fraud

As the most senior member on this board, I'm proposing that we do not discuss this case further until the lawsuit data is shared.

Message 8 of 48
latest reply

Gift Card Fraud

The ads are run with local numbers. How these locals are being recruited to run these ads, I haven't found that out yet. If it was Nigeria or antoher country it would have a (234) in front of it. On the back of the ebay gift card it states, to use you must have a U.S. registered eBay account, a PayPal account, and a U.S. address. It can only be used to buy ebay items. Yes, that means ebay knows who gets the merchandise. They ship it to an address right? I realize there are liars everywhere, and liars are hard to beat.

I meant I was able to locate the people by scamming the scammers. I don't have the equipment or the computer knowledge to track where they are living, but ebay has people who can track computer locations, don't you? And they claim they work with law enforcement, right?

My statement I made about coming up with the papers, means the Gift Fraud Team should be able to come up with them, just like I did. And now they do have the papers shown. I know there fake. These people need to be located, and prosecuted. It's against the law to use copyrighted logo's and false statements in order to commit a crime.  That's the point.

Message 9 of 48
latest reply

Gift Card Fraud

I will be glad to post the results, and then you can read the courts opinion.

Message 10 of 48
latest reply

Gift Card Fraud

@stalangle0 wrote:

There are some really kind people that do offer a good car for a low price, with the intention of passing on their good fortune.

But of course there are.

3578190769_581bf72445_z.jpg

Message 11 of 48
latest reply

Gift Card Fraud

Thank you, and I do know the rules. I am a paralegal, and that would be inappropriate. I hope you looked at the fake documents that the scammers are using to fraudulently take money, thinking their dealing with your company.

Message 12 of 48
latest reply

Gift Card Fraud

Sharing the details of a lawsuit that is already public record is hardly inappropriate.  Sorry guys but I'm out of this thread.  

I don't believe that the story is valid.

Message 13 of 48
latest reply

Gift Card Fraud

You stated earlier, you didn't think a lawsuit should me discussed. It's my opinion it is inappropiate. That's the apathy I talked about, when you say this is not valid???

I hope the employee's of ebay will share how many times they have heard of 

Gift Card situations just like this. The point is to get this stopped, so others don't suffer from the financial loss.

@tony1963 wrote:

Sharing the details of a lawsuit that is already public record is hardly inappropriate.  Sorry guys but I'm out of this thread.  

I don't believe that the story is valid.

Message 14 of 48
latest reply

Gift Card Fraud

"The ads are run with local numbers. How these locals are being recruited to run these ads, I haven't found that out yet. If it was Nigeria or antoher country it would have a (234) in front of it. "

Well, you obviously know nothing about spoofing phone numbers. A call, from another country, can be routed through a local number. I had that happen to me. A fellow in Japan, called, me, from Japan, and routed it through a local number, in Canada.

Friend of mine, this last week, received a phone call from India routed through an Ontario phone number.

The scammers can route their call through any number they choose, anywhere, anytime. It is NOT local.

Any 12 year old knows this.
Message 15 of 48
latest reply