cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bought engine that was damaged

Hello, so I bought an engine from ebay. I ordered it straight to the workshop where they swapped it in my car. After it was fully installed and the workshop run the motor they noticed that the crankshaft was bent. The engine was supposed to be perfectly working when i bought it. Now if i return the engine, is the seller liable to pay refunds for the work that workshop took for swapping the engine? 

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Bought engine that was damaged

No seller is not required to cover any costs you incurred.They are not even required to accept a return since you installed and he can claim your installer could have damaged it

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

In that case, is seller liable to pay refunds for the work that it will take to repair the engine? 

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

As it was explained by Misfit...the seller is not responsible for any additional charges you incurred..at this point, they don't even have to take the engine back since it was already installed at some point. 

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Interesting🤔 since you can not notice that kind of damage before the engine is installed and run. 

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Have you contacted the seller about the engine?

Did you purchase engine from Summit, Jegs, Speedway, or other well known business?

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Yes I have contacted the seller and he denies that the engine was broken. No I didn't. It was a car part vendor. The vendor got 100% positive feedback. I also paid by paypal.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

If you paid by cc at Paypal, try for a chargeback, you shouldnt have to pay for a damaged engine.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I never ever buy a engine that way. If I can't hear it run while it's still in the donor car I'd pass. The only way I would buy one without hearing it run would be if I bought it from a trusted friend. All that work and money putting a bad engine in a car.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am a little curious about how the "workshop noticed the crankshaft was bent" when they ran the engine after installing it.  I would like to see a video of it running with them showing me how they determined it was bent. It is possible that the "workshop" is the one conning you.  

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Duncancars, I was going to ask the Same Question

How do you Tell if a Crank is Bent after it's Running.??

Just my 3.5 cents

Live..Learn..and Die a Fool!

Photobucket
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

It is not just me then, plus, just how does one "bend" a crankshaft? How could it even possibly turn over, let alone run?

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

I bought a Triumph Spitfire from a guy, he said the girl he bought it from said it had a broken crank shaft.

We both had a good laugh, broken crankshaft...ha

Well, the thrust washer was in the oil pan, and the crank was eating the engine block.

It ran fine for a few months, then not so good after that.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply