cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android app not supported on older systems

If you have been notified that your eBay app is no longer supported here are some steps to get the latest version onto your device. To get the most up to date version you need to have Android 6 or higher on your device.

Android 6 and up get the latest version from the Google Play store

Android 5 get an older version from the Google Play store and we recommend you upgrade your system to Android 5.1.1.

Android 4 and below we recommend using the Chrome browser and visit ebay.com.

If there are difficulties getting the update to download please try the following:

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/9037938?hl=en

Thank you

Message 1 of 142
latest reply
141 REPLIES 141

Re: Android app version no longer supported

Android 5.01

Message 121 of 142
latest reply

To use the latest version of the eBay app you must have Android 6 or higher.

If you have Android 5 you may be able to use an earlier version, but eBay recommends upgrading to at least Android 5.1.1.

Message 122 of 142
latest reply

Help! The eBay app was working fine until about a week ago. I am using a Samsung Tab 4 10.1, running Android 5.0.2, the latest available version for this device.

I uninstalled the app, but when I reinstalled I was getting an error. Now, the Play Store won't even list the eBay app for download. 

How can eBay Not make the app backwards compatible??

Thanks,

D.S.

Message 123 of 142
latest reply

what do you exspect from the purples all those purple people ever do is make things hard for every other person on the planet

if you aint purple you aint ebayin

Message 124 of 142
latest reply

does being on a VPN   not work with EBAY?

Message 125 of 142
latest reply

If you want to just reinstall the older eBay app version again, you can download the latest one compatible with your device from the website APKMirror, which has all the old versions of this and thousands of other apps archived. If you want a newer version, there's a potential solution I mention later, but it's not super easy.

The reason they don't make it backwards compatible is that when developing new features for an app update, it often requires using what are basically new internal programming features (APIs) that aren't supported by older version of Android. A similar and perhaps larger issue is, some of the programming features in use on older versions have been deprecated (are no longer available for use) on the newer versions of Android.

Since Android 5 is currently (as of 09/21) only used on 3.3% of active Android devices (and dropping monthly), it's not really economical for them to focus on the older devices. Due to the API issues mentioned earlier, it would essentially require developing and maintaining a separate (pared-down) version of the app just for the handful of older devices. I feel your pain, especially since there isn't a huge selection of new tablets available.

There are solutions.

As for later versions--if you are technologically inclined (or have a friend who is), you can Google how to install a custom ROM on your tablet. The results will probably lead you to the site XDA Developers, where there are are many different newer "unofficial" versions of the firmware people have custom adapted to your device, along with detailed instructions.

Message 126 of 142
latest reply

This is an Apple phone

Message 127 of 142
latest reply

This issue is still alive and well. Using Samsung tablet and Android 5.1.1...and eBay app, reliably, for years, suddenly started kicking "Invalid Request" this past weekend. Worked seamlessly before, use the app all the time. Went thru all the steps to reboot device, remove and reinstall app, followed all clearing of cache and data in the 9037938 linked article you find on myriad websites, including this one. Originally had 2019 rev of the eBay app, updated to eBay latest app per this article and others like it, even tried eBay old APK's for Android 5 revs, updated Google Play, updated Google Play Services, the whole nine yards. No joy, still just "Invalid Request".  Very annoying. There are arguably millions of Android 5.x devices out there. I even have Android 5.1.x, which the support page says is supported...not 5.0.x...and I still have issues. As with several other vendors out there like Hulu, for example, seems like we're all kinda in Windows 7 land with this; i.e. vendors are simply not going to support our OS any longer and we have to upgrade. Not cool. Will still look for a work-around.

Message 128 of 142
latest reply

Hello,

I think you need to update your Android App or create/develop a new one. Because your old app is not working properly right now due to certain reasons.

Message 129 of 142
latest reply

Going to quit 

Message 130 of 142
latest reply

i cant install the new update on my android box H96 Max version 9 .

Message 131 of 142
latest reply

Hi how come i dont have buy it now option and just ad to watch list on the ebay item from my android phone hh **bleep** is this allabout

Screenshot_20221012_095231_Chrome.jpg

Message 132 of 142
latest reply

This article is incredibly outdated, yet the only thing coming up in my search.  I have Android 7, and have been unable to update since sometime in 2022.  It still kicked along, with ever decreasing functionality, until today, October 24 2023, at around 1pm est.  I had just listed 15 or so items, and then on the next, it refused to let me crop and edit images, crashing.  Then, it stopped letting me edit anything at all, and just crash.  Just a few moments ago, it still does searches, but refuses to load any item I try to open.  You know what I was trying to find?  A new android device that will run a newer version of Android!  Feels like eBay is just trying to send me a message here.  

Unfortunately, I don't even know what Android version ebay will require now.....or how long the new one I buy will last.  Android 7 got me about 5 years.  Oh well.  Will have to limit my sales until a new device comes in.  Hopefully I'll still be notified of sales from my current listings.  

Message 133 of 142
latest reply

@collectedbyclyde 

There are numerous reports of both iOS and Android apps crashing this afternoon.

Please follow this discussion where I tagged eBay reps for assistance:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Mobile-Apps/eBay-app-failure/m-p/34063074#U34063074

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 134 of 142
latest reply

I have had the ebay app on my phone since I started selling over 20 years ago.  All of a sudden, when I try to use my phone to get to my ebay, I get the message that the app is unsupported and to get the "new app".  Hell, I have tried 5 times every day for the last week and tried uninstalling, reinstalling, shutting off and restarting my phone and nothing works!  Ebay is no help either.  Short of getting an new phone, I don't know what to do anymore!  I have listings on ebay and want to see what it happening with them when I'm away from my compuer, and can't access the site on my phone.  I just tried again and it says "This version of the app is no longer supported".  What the hell is going on?  They charge exhorbitant fees to list now and now I can't even view my listings???  **bleep**!

Message 135 of 142
latest reply