• Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
bradtinakids
Community Member

2 foot long bayonet marked WG

2007-0322 006
2007-0322 007

I'm not finding anything with this marking and have no clue as to date or country of origin to guide me. Can you help?

Can you also provide links to good bayonet sites, I seem to be coming across them quite a bit lately.
Thanks ~Tina
"Motherhood: Changing Society One Diaper At A Time"
pregnancy calendar
~Tina
p31headersmall
Please use plain text.
bradtinakids
Community Member

in reply to bradtinakids
Oops, wrong photos, let's try that again!

2007-0322 010
2007-0322 011 ~Tina
pregnancy calendar
~Tina
p31headersmall
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bradtinakids
Hi, Tina...

Would it be possible to get a photo looking directly down on the grips as the bayonet is lying as it is now, capturing a few inches of the upper part of the blade as well?
Please use plain text.
bradtinakids
Community Member

in reply to bradtinakids
Sorry, I don't have it in my possesion yet. I'm considering purchasing it at a local auction house tomorrow night. I previewed yesterday and only took these two photos, just as I was leaving. I can tell you the center of the blade has a groove in it. ~Tina
pregnancy calendar
~Tina
p31headersmall
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bradtinakids
"WG" is usually the abbreviation for Waffenfabrik Gesellschaft which means "Arms Factory". Sometimes there are other letters which would denote the actual manufacturer, sometimes not.

Could there be lettering on top of the blade (the upper part of the blade opposite the edge ~ this is also called the "back")? I realize you don't have the bayonet but could that area have been overlooked in the initial observation? If "Steyr" and a date appears there, the bayonet would probably be a Portuguese M1885.
Please use plain text.
bradtinakids
Community Member

in reply to bradtinakids
I didn't inspect it closely yesterday, I only noted the markings that the auctioneer listed in his ad. I will be able to take a closer look tomorrow. It does look very similar the Portuguese M1885 I found when I googled but that didn't help give me much of an idea of value. I'll just see if the bidding ends up in place where I'm comfortable enough to take a chance. If I bring it home I'll post more pics. ~Tina
pregnancy calendar
~Tina
p31headersmall
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bradtinakids
Tina,

I am unsure of value of the Portuguese bayonet as well, but will try to get more information tonight.
Please use plain text.
springfld.arsenal
Community Member

in reply to bradtinakids
The value of a bayonet has a great deal to do with its condition and completeness. I can't see the blade which is critical. Any dents in the blade cutting edge, or a broken tip, will slash (no pun intended) the value. An ugly cutting edge that someone has sharpened with a file or grindstone is a curse. Rust pits are also bad news. A big detraction is a missing scabbard, and I don't see a scabbard in your pic. Bayonet collectors like their bayonets complete down to undented scabbard, frog with leather in good condition, with blade bright, smooth steel, and sharp, fully-legible markings if that's the way it came from the arsenal or factory.

I wouldn't pay too much for a bayonet that has many of the problems I mentioned, as it could be hard to sell.
*************** What follows is sig line*************
I collect fine cannon models, full-size antique cannons and artillery accouterments.
Please use plain text.