cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Found this at an Estate sale. Can you help me identify?

I found this at a sale and just had to buy it!  Can you help me identify it?  Thanks in advance. MickeyChampion Throwers TrophyChampion Throwers TrophyCloserCloser

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Found this at an Estate sale. Can you help me identify?

Thanks YankeeBob!  That's probably the closest we've come to an identity.  With everything else that's been written, I'm going to go with:

Antique Silver Hoofed Cow Horn Trophy

You are bidding on an antique silver-hoofed cow horn trophy.  It might have been used as an award in a horse shoe throwing contest or perhaps in a cow throwing contest at a Rodeo.  It is 5" high and has an engraved silver "hoof".  The horn is engraved: "Champion Throwers Trophy Won By Possessor" which may mean it was a trophy passed from winner to winner as new champions came along since there is no name on it.  This  old relic of a much earlier era is in very good preowned condition.

You eBayers have been very helpful and I thank you all.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 19 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Mickey, what part of the country did you find it in?

Debora

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Looks like a cattle /animal horn and a blank that was never awarded, Professor who? Could be victorian or later. Does it say anything on the base of the silver part? Sterling? Numbers? Key is throwers.

I had a professor throw an eraser at me once while I was sleeping.

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

I found it locally, Seattle area.

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

He threw an eraser at you??? Best laugh I've had all day!!  That's possessor, not professor!

The lady I bought it from said it was from the early 1900's.  She thought it was from a horse shoe game club or something like that.  There are no markings on the silver hoof that I could make out but it looks like sterling to me.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

Actually, it says:  "Won by Possessor." 

So was there only the one trophy, passed from winner to winner?  If you have it in your possession, you won it.   Presumably, you could later lose it to someone else in a future competition. 

Or did some winner of the thing go by the name / code name / user identification of "Possessor"?

Odd.

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

@6291mickey wrote:

The lady I bought it from said it was from the early 1900's. 

What were her reasons for dating it to the early 1900s?  Provenance?  What?  I t might be that old, but her reasons for saying so would be clues as to what it is and where it's from.

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

The lady said she bought it from a 90 year old woman.  That's why she said early 1900's.  She thought it was some kind of trophy for horse shoe throwing.

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

Oops, sorry maybe that's why he threw it at me.

If they were recycling awards it sounds like something a small rural would do to save money on engraving.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

I once lived in a small town that had an annual compeititon among businesses to see which business had the highest percentage of its employees donate blood in a Red Cross drive.  The winning business got the trophy to display until another business outdid them. 

There was just the one "Corpuscle Cup," a red ceramic thing that looked sort of like a big drop of blood, but I forget what it said on it.  As you say, this saved having to buy multiple trophies / engravings.

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

@6291mickey wrote:

The lady said she bought it from a 90 year old woman.  That's why she said early 1900's...

Well, really, the age of the person doesn't mean anything.   I'm in my 70s and among my knick-knacks and what-nots are things that are hundreds of years old and things that are maybe a year old and things that are every age in between.

I'm not saying she's necessarily wrong about the age -- just that she can't know that by knowing the age of the last person who owned it. 

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

Could Possessor have been the name of a horse? Just guessing.

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

@6291mickey wrote:

She thought it was some kind of trophy for horse shoe throwing.

That's a good guess.  But it could also be for axe-throwing, or for throwing steers in a rodeo, or...  

You've given us a real puzzler!  

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

@sierras1160 wrote:

Could Possessor have been the name of a horse? Just guessing.

Possible.  Best bucker in the rodeo. 

Remember that old ditty?  Ain't a horse that can't be rode;  ain't a cowboy that can't be throwed.   

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

Ohhh, that would hurt. Now that I think about it.  grimacing

Message 15 of 26
latest reply