cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody Recognize This Very Large Unmarked Print? Victorian Fashion ? Illustration

I've seen similar prints before in the distant past, but can't find it anywhere online. It's old and very large, but there are no identifying marks on it. I believe it's an original lithograph (no micro dots).   Any help would be appreciated! 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Anybody Recognize This Very Large Unmarked Print? Victorian Fashion ? Illustration

It is an air brush painting. Like the kids who spray paint today, they used stencils for each part of the print/painting. They were very popular during the war years, 1940-1945.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Anybody Recognize This Very Large Unmarked Print? Victorian Fashion ? Illustration

Not terribly old.  1930s to 1950s-ish.  (At a guess, I'd think around the time of Gone with the Wind.)  Just a decorative print.  Meant to hang in a lady's boudoir, or some such.

Debora

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Thanks Debora! I was guessing about that time frame too, but wasn't 100% sure.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

It is an air brush painting. Like the kids who spray paint today, they used stencils for each part of the print/painting. They were very popular during the war years, 1940-1945.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I think so, too.  "Southern Belles" with impossible, and impossibly long, necks were popular.  This looks pretty faded, to me, as I always think of them as being more colorful than this.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

We don't know for sure that it actually IS an airbrush painting. They did do screens of these.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

True.  Just based on OP's picture, it looks like one of the old airbursh things to me, faded.   If I'm wrong, that will be only twice today, which means I'm doing better than usual.   Smiley LOL

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I will just list it as an airbrush or screen. After you said it could be air brushed, I tested a very small area with a dampened Q tip and color did rub off.  It is quite large -  30" x 26", and the paper is very thick. Thanks so much for your reply!

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

lol 🙂 I'm just grateful you replied!  You appear to be very knowledgeable to me!  Thanks!

Message 9 of 9
latest reply