cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deciphering pencil sig on wood or lino cut

OK, moving on, this print , notations in pencil seems to read:    Class Ed.   Panic     Pr..... Villarue 6/2/61     Austria. Aprox 12" x 18".

I cant make out the first name. Any thoughts? Thanks 

Message 1 of 72
latest reply
71 REPLIES 71

To my eye it reads "Primo Villarrue."

Debora

Message 2 of 72
latest reply

Just quickly - I see Chass, not Class.

ETA: I really like it. Maybe this will help.

Message 3 of 72
latest reply

I think that's right, only there's what looks to be an "i" in there:

Primio
Message 4 of 72
latest reply

Or possibly Villanova?

Message 5 of 72
latest reply

@argon38wrote:

Or possibly Villanova?

Maybe not... it does look more like Villarrue.

Message 6 of 72
latest reply

Then again, maybe that is "Class" and it's a student piece, albeit a very nice student piece.
Message 7 of 72
latest reply

That is exactly why I posted it here. The guy that sold it to me was touting it as a California piece but looking twice, nothing made sense. I bought it anyway as it is a quality piece. Do you think it might be an Italian artist on holiday in Austria piece? It does say Austria. Are there any famous boardwalks in Austria?

Message 8 of 72
latest reply

Are you sure that's a boardwalk? Looks more like a dock, with maybe lobster traps on it, at least that's what some of those shapes look like.
Message 9 of 72
latest reply

Have been looking at commercial docks in Austria but no matches. I thought boardwalk due to the flags; so festive like a boardwalk.

Message 10 of 72
latest reply

Yeah, but if you go to the end, you'll fall into the woodblock sea.
Message 11 of 72
latest reply

Actually, the most interesting thing about this are the three things written, most especially that word "Panic" - what could that mean? There's nothing panicky-looking about that scene. So maybe it's not Panic. But it's late ... and the cells are shutting down.
Message 12 of 72
latest reply

My tiny observation is that the numeral one (appearing twice in the dae) is written in what is generally the American style, rather than what is generally the Europen style.   That, along with the other writing in English (e.g., "panic") makes me think the artist is American.

By the way, there's a type of grass or grain called "panic," too but that doesn't seem to work here any more than the usual meaning does.  (Yes, I know how essentially useles that observation is.)

Message 13 of 72
latest reply

I just remembered the other observation, doubtless as useless as the others:  The first name looks like "Prinia" to me.  Prinia are a kind of very pretty little birds.  It is possible that someone could have it as a first name. 

Anyhow, at least this bumps the thread.  Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 72
latest reply

Okay.  One final thing and then I'm gone for the day:  Austria is a landlocked country but there is the river, so I've just been doing image searches on things like "Danube wharf," "Danube dock," "Danube boardwalk," etc. and haven't come up with anything even vaguely like this.  So the AUSTRIA note continues to baffle.

Message 15 of 72
latest reply