cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1920s Foreign Autograph Book - Does Anyone Recognize Language?

Hi.  I have an interesting schoolgirl's autograph book from the 1920s.

It appears to be Eastern European.

Does anyone recognize the language.?   Any help or hints really appreciated. Thanksauto.jpg

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: 1920s Foreign Autograph Book - Does Anyone Recognize Language?

Polish?

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Russian (cursive script).

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

It is a sweet hand made Birthday card with an amateur verse addressed to an apparent girl Nina from most likely her friend by the name Katya Ivanova. Rather banal text  about remembering a childhood friend in years to come. Hard to date, but is not earlier than 1918. There are some grammar and punctuation errors in the verse. The card is definitely made by a kid.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

@olgasot wrote:

It is a sweet hand made Birthday card

The OP says it's in an "autograph book," so I was thinking it might be a parting message from one of her classmates at the end of their time at school? And if there are other signatures/verses/dedications, they would likely be by her school friends as well.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Yes! it does appear to be Russian cursive.  Many thanks

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Hi. The book is dated late 1920s & flled w/ many signers & colorful artwork.  

They're addressed to a, "Huhe".....I guess that's  Russian version of "Nina?'

Thanks!!  Very appreciated.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

In the Cyrillic alphabet, Nina is spelled Нина or Нине, which are pronounced similar to the English name.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

@genstore wrote:

They're addressed to a, "Huhe".....I guess that's  Russian version of "Nina?'

The information you've been given is quite correct, but just to clarify a little further:

the Russian letter Н looks like the English letter H, but it's really the equivalent of our N;

and the letter И (which resembles the English u when written in cursive script) actually represents an "ee" sound.

Also, the name as spelled here is Нине, but in cursive script it looks like this:

cursive.png

This is indeed a version of the name Nina. However, it isn't really correct to convert it into English letters as "Huhe," since (despite superficial appearances) the Russian word doesn't actually contain anything equivalent to our letter H, or our letter u.

It would be interesting to see a few of the other inscriptions, if you want to upload some more photos.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Boy, you guys are helpful!  If I get a chance I'll try to upload additional pix.  Thanks

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

I found a flag - country?, plus found a few pages that might mention location.  Thanks!!!

I greatauto3.jpgauto4.jpgauto5.jpgauto6.jpg

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Well, that certainly looks like the pre-revolutionary Russian flag, but I'm surprised to see it in a Soviet-era item from 1928. I don't think the teacher would have been too pleased! Or perhaps it comes from a school for émigré children outside Russia? Interesting either way - hopefully others with more in-depth knowledge will comment.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Wow, great insights.  Maybe it's the Slovenia flag?  - same white, blue, red horz. strripes.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

@genstore wrote:

Wow, great insights.  Maybe it's the Slovenia flag?  - same white, blue, red horz. strripes.

Theoretically possible... but only theoretically, I think. I can't see any obvious reason why a Russian schoolgirl would be waving the Slovenian flag.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

It appears to be the White Emigre flag  - Russians who emigrated after the Revolution.

Maybe Japan?  The album cover has a flower (chrysanthemum?) on it.  Another page has drawing of the setting sun with boat.  However, a few other pages have Gloria Swanson clipping & drawing of Miss Muffett! Thanksauto7.jpgauto8.jpgauto9.jpg

Message 15 of 21
latest reply