cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

--THE NEW COIN CHAT ROOM--

Hate the discussion board format? Wish there was a place to have a running chat like in the old ebay chat rooms that they took away?

Here is the solution, one thread devoted to chatting about anything and everything about coins all in the same place.

Post whatever is on your mind. There is no official topic here. So let's get the chatting started.

Message 1 of 11,869
latest reply
11,868 REPLIES 11,868

Re: --THE NEW COIN CHAT ROOM--

Getting under my skin takes talent... getting under yours takes little more then showing up and posting something...

I'm all for taking liberties with the english language... people have long told me that "ain't" ain't a word... my contention is if it ain't a word how come everyone knows what it means...

Writing like this conveys meaning as well as writing in any other manner... I don't question the functionality... I question the why... it's part of the human condition... seeing something strange and seeking to understand...

Message 1366 of 11,869
latest reply

Darn! So many important concepts and so few posts. Sigh.

"LMAO!!! I have plenty of friends without this place but coming here to make enemies isn't that smart neither.."

At least I made you laugh. That, after all, is what is important. Now pick it up and sew it back on.

"Me and Jeff were at each others throats and he said something that I saw as an attempt to cause a fight between me and another poster."

No we weren't. We were having a feast of reason and a true meeting of minds. It was almost a religious experience. You have me confused with a childhood pet that hopped away from home when you were six. You know why... 😉

"Not sure how that "It is what it is" comment is pertinent to anything here, I just felt like saying it! LOL.."

It only counts if you said it out loud while cackling maniacally and staring at yourself in the mirror. Then it is very, very pertinent to this thread.

"You miss my point. I'm not saying that this a place to come to make friends. I could spit out my window with my eyes closed and hit someone who wanted to be friends."

That's nice, but I was responding to B-S, I believe. You know that I've had you on Ignore ever since you came between me and Liz. I will give you some advice, though. Make sure the window is open before you spit out of it. New Yorkers consider it lucky to be spit upon.

"I wasn't joking I was just annoyed. Jeff is a good guy but he has a tallent for getting under your skin.

i haven't seen that tallent(sp) from Jeff... i have seen it from you..."

Not your skin, Smedley. B-S's skin. That is a talent that I have cultivated since my youth when B-S and I hung out with the gang at the Oak Room. I still miss Dottie P. Sigh.

"you're the one that called it a talent..."

No. He called it a tallent. A little factoid about John: He still resents his time at PS 109. He was the class pet and the children often laced his water with tabasco sauce. His way of getting back at the world is by spelling ellipsis correctly but common words creatively.

"people have long told me that "ain't" ain't a word"

It isn't. It is a common fungus. Mexicans relish it in tamales and stews. It sounds like you should stop hanging out with people.

"it's part of the human condition... seeing something strange and seeking to understand..."

Just do what you always do. Make something up and then pretend that it's a profound observation.

You know, maybe I'll buy ten 1¢ items here and have unlimited posts so I can clutter up the threads with hundreds of posts about any old thing that comes into my mind.

Message 1367 of 11,869
latest reply

Programs! Programs! Can't tell the players without a program!

Did I not mention that Kim is pregnant? Where are the congratulatory posts?

Message 1368 of 11,869
latest reply

You know, maybe I'll buy ten 1¢ items here and have unlimited posts so I can clutter up the threads with hundreds of posts about any old thing that comes into my mind.

I think I would enjoy that. Reading about what is on your mind is one of my reasons for continually checking the board. If you like I could set up a 1 cent listing to get you started.

Message 1369 of 11,869
latest reply

Kim was before my time, I think there were two Kims at one point in history. There was a Kim from the past who posted here briefly. If that is the Kim you are refering to then I offer congradulations, I read her posts and responded to a few, she seemed like a very nice person.

Message 1370 of 11,869
latest reply

Yeah. Like I really want you to know where I live. You do realize that I've never felt the same about you after you begrudged spending a few bucks to fly me out to NYC.

I bet you never even got to the coin show, did you?

Did I ever tell you about the time I did 19 shots of Jaegermeister and then worked a full shift at the Oar House? I don't remember much of that night, oddly enough, but I do remember wanting to pick fights walking down the boardwalk on the way to my crib, puking in the shower before I dressed for work, arriving, checking my to-do list at midnight and getting over-tipped by all of my bartenders at closing. Debbie said, "Brody, you ought to do 19 shots of Jaeger before every shift. You were perfect!"

I have no idea how I got home. I don't think that I partied afterward.

This New Year's I was entertaining the young people with tales of blackout adventures. You know, becoming aware of my surroundings while riding on a freeway wondering where the heck I was and how I'd gotten there. And, then, seeing a sign and thinking, "At least I'm heading in the right direction."

Along those lines: It's far, far easier to pop wheelies while intoxicated.

And now, sadly, my girlfriend saw me drunk for the first time six months ago. We've been together for ten years. Sigh.

Message 1371 of 11,869
latest reply

I like this one as much as the rest.

Photobucket Photobucket

"When it shall be said in any country in the world, 'My poor are happy...the streets free of beggars, the aged not in want, the taxes not oppressive, the rational world is my friend because I am a friend of happiness, then may that country boast of its constitution & govt." ~ Thomas Paine
Message 1372 of 11,869
latest reply

Do you want to tell us about the coin, John? It's an interesting issue.

Message 1373 of 11,869
latest reply

The Panama-Pacific gold dollar had a net mintage of 15,000, the same as the subsequent 1916 McKinley Memorial gold dollar. It is one of nine commemorative gold dollars also including the two 1903 Louisiana Purchase issues, mintage 17,500 each, the 1904 and 1905 Lewis and Clark issues, mintages of around 10,000 each, the 1917 McKinley gold dollar, mintage 5,000 and the two 1922 Grant Memorial issues, mintages of about 5,000 each.

As is the case with all commemorative gold dollars, gem and superb gem examples are readily available. MS66 examples retail for around $2,400 and current Greysheet Bid is $1,925. Prices have been declining for at least the past five years--Bid was $4,150 in May of 2006.

It was struck to commemorate the Panama-Pacific Exposition which was not only a celebration of the opening of the Panama Canal, but a celebration of the re-birth of San Francisco, rising up out of the ashes of the devastating 1906 earthquake and fire that destroyed much of the city.

Farran Zerbe, former ANA president, was the man behind the coinage. Charles Keck, mainly known for sculpting monuments and architectural sculpture was the designer. His first design of Poseidon was rejected as being too detailed. His second design was that of a typical Panama Canal construction worker wearing a working man's cap. The reverse features two dolphins encircling the denomination, representing the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. The octagonal half union also features dolphins.

While the full authorized mintage of 25,000 coins were struck the $2 issue price discouraged sales and 10,000 coins were melted. Many of the unsold coins ended up in Max Mehl's hands, as was typical of other commemorative issues. Like all Pan-Pac issues, it was struck at the Granite Lady on Mission Street in San Francisco.

Message 1374 of 11,869
latest reply

b4wemet
Trailblazer

Do you want to tell us about the coin, John? It's an interesting issue.

Jeff, good info on the coins. Thanks for that positive contribution.

I like the Pandas Jon. I had a set of jewelry for my wife made from smaller denomination Pandas.

*poof*

Message 1375 of 11,869
latest reply

Getting under my skin takes talent... getting under yours takes little more then showing up and posting something...

partially true, because before i understood that the way you were posting was based on intent instead of ignorance, i couldn't believe that any intelligent person could possibly think that way... now that i know you're a supporter of hope and change, it all makes sense...

Message 1376 of 11,869
latest reply

Programs! Programs! Can't tell the players without a program!

Did I not mention that Kim is pregnant? Where are the congratulatory posts?

Ah, Kim, Kim, Kimmy.  No Johnny, there's only one Kimmy.

Yet another of those women who profess their love for me and then go have babies with other men.  Ah well!  I still have that picture she posted when she was fighting with marymay.Sigh!;-)

Congratulations Kim!  Maybe as you become gravid, you'll have time to stop by and visit.

I think I got a digital christmas card from Ann, but I didn't open it.  Another lovely lady.:-x

"climate is what we expect weather is what we get"
M. Twain

Message 1377 of 11,869
latest reply

The Panama-Pacific gold dollar had a net mintage of 15,000, the same as the subsequent 1916 McKinley Memorial gold dollar. It is one of nine commemorative gold dollars also including the two 1903 Louisiana Purchase issues, mintage 17,500 each, the 1904 and 1905 Lewis and Clark issues, mintages of around 10,000 each, the 1917 McKinley gold dollar, mintage 5,000 and the two 1922 Grant Memorial issues, mintages of about 5,000 each.

As is the case with all commemorative gold dollars, gem and superb gem examples are readily available. MS66 examples retail for around $2,400 and current Greysheet Bid is $1,925. Prices have been declining for at least the past five years--Bid was $4,150 in May of 2006.

It was struck to commemorate the Panama-Pacific Exposition which was not only a celebration of the opening of the Panama Canal, but a celebration of the re-birth of San Francisco, rising up out of the ashes of the devastating 1906 earthquake and fire that destroyed much of the city.

Farran Zerbe, former ANA president, was the man behind the coinage. Charles Keck, mainly known for sculpting monuments and architectural sculpture was the designer. His first design of Poseidon was rejected as being too detailed. His second design was that of a typical Panama Canal construction worker wearing a working man's cap. The reverse features two dolphins encircling the denomination, representing the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. The octagonal half union also features dolphins.

While the full authorized mintage of 25,000 coins were struck the $2 issue price discouraged sales and 10,000 coins were melted. Many of the unsold coins ended up in Max Mehl's hands, as was typical of other commemorative issues. Like all Pan-Pac issues, it was struck at the Granite Lady on Mission Street in San Francisco.

"When it shall be said in any country in the world, 'My poor are happy...the streets free of beggars, the aged not in want, the taxes not oppressive, the rational world is my friend because I am a friend of happiness, then may that country boast of its constitution & govt." ~ Thomas Paine
Message 1378 of 11,869
latest reply

"One last thing for now, remember the people that act likes trolls aren't much more than a nuisance UNLESS You let them be.."

Wait until you've had people posting lies about you for a year or two whenever a new poster shows up.

There are half a dozen embittered souls haunting this DB who never offer any useful advice to anyone who comes here asking for such, but almost immediately come crawling out of their holes if I have the temerity to try to help.

One of the newcomers from Alternate Land called our most successful B&M dealer on the board, who is just a wealth of real-world numismatic knowledge (not to mention eBay infomation), a "moron."

The reality is, enough of these people spreading their bile and insults is why so few experts actively post here. So, no, they are not only far more than a nuisance, it is the very fact that they have been allowed to spread their lies and calumnies that this DB has been so degraded.

There is nothing wrong with being ignorant. But when you are, and you come barging in here (and I don't mean you, personally, B-S) attacking folks who have a thousand times the numismatic knowledge that you do, the damage that you do is far, far out of proportion to your value to this DB.

I ignored this thread for over 100 posts. I saw the pointless homophobic insults, I read the slurs, I shook my head at the numismatic nonsense spouted here. I confined myself to one ironic comment. But then the folks who came here to continue their battles, egged on by John, started messing up other threads.

John had earlier noted that my theory that Gresham's Law applies to posts and threads seemed to have validity. He started a thread based upon that observation, but, since it had "Jeff" in the title, it became a bash-Jeff and speculate-about-Jeff and tell-lies-about-Jeff thread. He, sensibly, killed it because that ugliness was leaking out and fouling the entire DB. You see, when folks get a bee in their bonnet, they can't let it go and tend to continue the argument wherever and whenever.

Anyway, one night John and I were having a little back and forth on this thread with the idea that wiping the slate clean here would remove all of the hundreds of nasty posts that newcomers see when they first arrive. This led to another ugly scene, lord only knows why. It's not like losing these posts and bringing back this thread with the exact same title would be any loss to numismatic information or numismatic literature. All that would disappear is the ugliness that feeds upon itself.

And this simple idea subjects me to wave upon wave of misdirected anger from people whose knowledge of numismatics is so lacking that they literally are clueless about things like elongated coins and think that a 1914-D "Mercury" dime is something to search for.

In the real world, people like this ask questions and listen if they don't want to be the object of laughter. Here, they call a dealer who has bought and sold coins that 99.9% of us will never even have the opportunity to hold, a "moron."

So, thank you very much for your opinion about whether posters who are only here to be nasty can only affect us if we let them, but experience says that you are wrong.

Jeff, get over it!!  My God!  Are you just going to keep on and on and on about one incident.  Quit being a big cry baby and MOVE THE FRACK ON!   The poster who I called a Moron and I both saw where we neither were right in the way we posted towards each other, said our amends and moved on.  I hope you're not going to be the new big yellow bellied bird on this board and just keep digging that same old trash out of the trash pile and turning it with your pitchfork trying to get a new smell out of it each time.  Give it up!  Life's too short for such.  I probably did say some things that I shouldn't have, but I also don't like my toes stepped on either and when it happens I'm gonna speak my mind.  Do in person and do in here.  Always have and always will.

I really really wish that you'd let it be and move on. If you can help others on the chat board then go for it.  If I or anyone else thinks you're giving bad advice then it will get spoken against as was my post about those confounded square round tubes.  I'm sure there are many many folks in here who know a ton more than me, but I'm not without knowledge.  You can't hang around coin people day in day out for over 10 years and not learn some things.  And, to be honest, that's about how much real coin knowledge I have. I've never been in a coin club, never owned a coin store but have learned a lot from what I used to call the "coin Gods" on the ebay board.

So, if I need to personally apologize to you for anything I said to you then I'm sorry.  To anyone else, I'm sorry.  Sincerely sorry, but many of us are here to stay now so kindly scoot over a bit so we can go shoulder to shoulder to you in dipping out of the learning well of coin collecting.

There are three kinds of people in life....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen and those that wonder what happened. Which group do you belong?
Message 1379 of 11,869
latest reply

koincollekter,You say you want this to stop yet you went back 31 posts to bring it back up.If you realy want to let it go then do it.John

Jeff, get over it!!  My God!  Are you just going to keep on and on and on about one incident.  Quit being a big cry baby and MOVE THE FRACK ON!   The poster who I called a Moron and I both saw where we neither were right in the way we posted towards each other, said our amends and moved on.  I hope you're not going to be the new big yellow bellied bird on this board and just keep digging that same old trash out of the trash pile and turning it with your pitchfork trying to get a new smell out of it each time.  Give it up!  Life's too short for such.  I probably did say some things that I shouldn't have, but I also don't like my toes stepped on either and when it happens I'm gonna speak my mind.  Do in person and do in here.  Always have and always will.

I really really wish that you'd let it be and move on. If you can help others on the chat board then go for it.  If I or anyone else thinks you're giving bad advice then it will get spoken against as was my post about those confounded square round tubes.  I'm sure there are many many folks in here who know a ton more than me, but I'm not without knowledge.  You can't hang around coin people day in day out for over 10 years and not learn some things.  And, to be honest, that's about how much real coin knowledge I have. I've never been in a coin club, never owned a coin store but have learned a lot from what I used to call the "coin Gods" on the ebay board.

So, if I need to personally apologize to you for anything I said to you then I'm sorry.  To anyone else, I'm sorry.  Sincerely sorry, but many of us are here to stay now so kindly scoot over a bit so we can go shoulder to shoulder to you in dipping out of the learning well of coin collecting.

[/quote]

Message 1380 of 11,869
latest reply