cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

--THE NEW COIN CHAT ROOM--

Hate the discussion board format? Wish there was a place to have a running chat like in the old ebay chat rooms that they took away?

Here is the solution, one thread devoted to chatting about anything and everything about coins all in the same place.

Post whatever is on your mind. There is no official topic here. So let's get the chatting started.

Message 1 of 11,869
latest reply
11,868 REPLIES 11,868

Re: --THE NEW COIN CHAT ROOM--

@spacificproducts wrote:

You not only know about coins you know about the machines that make them. A question there's a lot of chatter out there about 2015 16 17 Lincoln cents that due to the cleaning wash at the mint. It's left most of them with watermarks spots that don't come off and if you find any of them in a clean Clear mint state not proofs.  They are worth quite a bit to series collectors market.   

The key to understanding error coins is pretty much understanding the minting process.  There's a lot of stuff on eBay and elsewhere sold as "error coins" that could never be produced as the result of the minting process (and therefore are just damaged). 

These dimes... I suppose it's fair to call them "error coins", since they missed a step in the production process that produced a somewhat defective coin.   The problem is, they just look like poorly struck dimes, and I don't think there's any demand for them, so I just spend them.   I've never read anything about them in any literature, but I think it must be some oddity of the dime that the Type 1 blank will fit into the collar.   I think the Type 1 blanks that get struck for other larger coins end up producing broadstrikes or partial collar strikes (railroad rims) since they won't fit into the collar. 

On the modern cents... I don't know... that's just the chase for the MS-70 coin grade, I don't have any feel for how many might have escaped the spotting problem, but the mintages exceed 10 billion, so I'm thinking there are probably more perfect coins out there than there are people willing to pay big premiums for them, in the long run. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 11731 of 11,869
latest reply

That makes sense to me just spend them. Think I might have found a winner though see what you think! 2000 P MARYLAND QUARTER.  Also, this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekAQz8bCDPs sold for thousand! Yet you can go on eBay right now and buy 2004 Philadelphia proof sets for twenty dollars or less.    

Message 11732 of 11,869
latest reply

hello

Message 11733 of 11,869
latest reply

11 Junio 2017 - Hola Paulo.  Do you have any coin questions? 

Regardos. 

Message 11734 of 11,869
latest reply

got a copper quarter for change are their others

Message 11735 of 11,869
latest reply

What do you mean by copper?

Pics please !
Message 11736 of 11,869
latest reply

I thought this was a "C O I N " collectors chat room not some dumb ass car collectors "LOOK WHAT I GOT" discussion room????????

Message 11737 of 11,869
latest reply

NOT TRUE: there are loads of GEM BU spotless 2017- P cents. I have a few Brinks, String as well as a few "Blast Rolls" just got them for <GRINS> not woth any real value right now give em 150 years....lol

Message 11738 of 11,869
latest reply

@dynalink wrote:

I thought this was a "C O I N " collectors chat room not some dumb ass car collectors "LOOK WHAT I GOT" discussion room????????

this thread is a continuation of the now-defunct ebay coin chat room... every so often we'd get somebody in there who whined about non-coin posts...

they usually didn't stick around very long...

if you don't like the direction of the conversation, nobody's forcing you to stick around... if you do stick around please remember that trying to dictate the direction 1) won't work and 2) won't endear you to anyone...

Message 11739 of 11,869
latest reply

@dynalink wrote:

NOT TRUE: there are loads of GEM BU spotless 2017- P cents. I have a few Brinks, String as well as a few "Blast Rolls" just got them for <GRINS> not woth any real value right now give em 150 years....lol

good luck... with billions and billions minted (probably in the 4.5-5 billion range by the end of the year), in 150 years i doubt they'll be worth any more than they are today...

Message 11740 of 11,869
latest reply

Found this funny looking penny with cud on it is it worth any thing1502584572875.jpg

20170812_195023.jpg

20170812_200046.jpg

20170812_195028.jpg

1502584555547.jpg

Message 11741 of 11,869
latest reply

@ambedale_8 wrote:

Found this funny looking penny with cud on it is it worth any thing

no, not really... but on ebay you never know what might happen...

Message 11742 of 11,869
latest reply

Hey Ted, can you tell me how in the heck I get to where I can ask a question about a couple of coins in the Coin Chat???  All I see are different threads that I can reply to someone else's questions??  I have a 1943-D Steel Cent that appears to be a double die but doesn't look like the usual variety.  Could it be another variety?  Also trying to find info on a 1865-S Seated Half with "broken" S.  I see a small reference to it on PCGS but nothing on NGC and others.  Trying to get a real value.

Message 11743 of 11,869
latest reply

Just curious, have a 100 dollar bill with serial number ld73797476c, is it worth keeping?
Message 11744 of 11,869
latest reply

it's an interesting serial number, but interesting doesn't usually carry a premium...

still, if you can afford to put it back, why not? worst comes to worst, you've got a $100 emergency fund...

Message 11745 of 11,869
latest reply