cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

--THE NEW COIN CHAT ROOM--

Hate the discussion board format? Wish there was a place to have a running chat like in the old ebay chat rooms that they took away?

Here is the solution, one thread devoted to chatting about anything and everything about coins all in the same place.

Post whatever is on your mind. There is no official topic here. So let's get the chatting started.

Message 1 of 11,869
latest reply
11,868 REPLIES 11,868

Re: --THE NEW COIN CHAT ROOM--

I actually do not know, have to ask the dealer tomorrow.  melt for me would be about $1.15 each, but I hate to melt coins unless they are slugs.  I should check what they are going for here on eBay.

Message 10097 of 11,869
latest reply

@jesusrocks3339 wrote:

I actually do not know, have to ask the dealer tomorrow.  melt for me would be about $1.15 each, but I hate to melt coins unless they are slugs.  I should check what they are going for here on eBay.

Looks like within the last week, $47 to $57 a roll, including the shipping charge...  after fees, that's good for somewhere around a buck a coin...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_dcat=41088&Circulated%252FUncirculated=Circulated&_sacat=0&_from=R40...

No one actually melts the things, they just trade back and forth in bulk like 90% silver does.

Because they're low-grade silver, and have a funny mix of base metal in them, refining costs on melting them is high.  They have always traded wholesale at way back of actual melt value... don't you have a Greysheet there somewhere?  What is it currently showing for bulk war nix?  I doubt I could get any dealer around here to even pay Greysheet on any. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 10098 of 11,869
latest reply

APMEX is selling warnix rolls at about $51.  I can't see what they're paying, but if this old 2010 post is any indication, they're likely only paying  about $41 a roll:

http://survivalus.blogspot.com/2010/06/why-i-hate-warnickel.html

Let us know whay your locals are willing to pay... I bet it's not even $40 a roll... 

Message 10099 of 11,869
latest reply

yeah, when silver was high I could get a lot more by throwing them in the melt a little at a time.  Sort of like clads, for some reason the secondary market was paying less so there was a time (spring 2011) that I just salted them in my melt jobs.  It wasn't enough to bring down the overall assay when I was melting enough silver in each job to make a huge patio brick.  I joked about burying them in the yard.  Good thing I dumped 'em though (not that they were really mine anyways).  

Message 10100 of 11,869
latest reply

Gee, I don't read too good... right there on their page is the buy price... $41 a roll.

http://www.apmex.com/category/1125/35-silver-war-nickels

However they have a "proviso" that prices quoted are for $10K sized transactions, and warn they'll pay less for small quantities of anything...

Message 10101 of 11,869
latest reply

they are going for bout 1.20 on eBay before fees.  pretty exciting.  I will report back in the morning with the goods man.  this is like my least fav coin, but now if I had found that crocodille eye one, diff story.

Message 10102 of 11,869
latest reply

Melt is $1.19 but I'd want to buy at a signifigant discount considering the content. For selling though getting $1.20 seems good even with the 13% fees. And I bet they are very low fraud coins. Ebay might be a winning solution.

Perhaps unsearched rolls with a shield nickle on the end. (Jokey smiley)

Message 10103 of 11,869
latest reply

Dealer offered low on war nx .78 each.  This particular dealer doesn't really want then thus the lowball.  They are paying well on nineties today though 16.2 times face.  Hey Amy, I know it wouldn't quite pay off the full 1K but how's2013-08-14 naked 2.JPG this one for a start.  I know how you like naked chick jewelry. Bought this yesterday at the shop.2013-08-14 naked.JPG

Message 10104 of 11,869
latest reply

dumb system threw my words all over the place again, it looked fine and now I can't fix it.  too broken.

Message 10105 of 11,869
latest reply

@jesusrocks3339 wrote:

Dealer offered low on war nx .78 each.  This particular dealer doesn't really want then thus the lowball.  They are paying well on nineties today though 16.2 times face.  Hey Amy, I know it wouldn't quite pay off the full 1K but how's2013-08-14 naked 2.JPG this one for a start.  I know how you like naked chick jewelry. Bought this yesterday at the shop.2013-08-14 naked.JPG

And now your spending my money how rude:) That would of been a perfect match. Good Job.the men up north would of loved it.  Are you going to put it up for auction. That would of been great a pair of naked ladies. Alway's what I wanted.Smiley Very Happy

The more you explain it, the more I don't understand it.

Message 10106 of 11,869
latest reply

@jesusrocks3339 wrote:

dumb system threw my words all over the place again, it looked fine and now I can't fix it.  too broken.

Dont ya just hate that

Message 10107 of 11,869
latest reply

Hmmm.....xena-gabrielle-xena-warrior-princess-817471_850_679.jpg

Message 10108 of 11,869
latest reply

What do you think of the coin below?  The listing has a spelling error, so I doubt many people have seen it.  I don't have any experience with stamped coins.  What are some important things to look for when determining value?  Thanks! 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1859-O-SEATED-LIBERY-SILVER-HALF-DOLLAR-PUNCHED-D-F-TULEY-8090-/111140775801...

Message 10109 of 11,869
latest reply

i really don't know what others look for in determining how much to pay for a counterstamped coin...

i look at the value of the host coin, how much i like the counterstamp and the coin, problems with the coin...

for example, there are coins out there with an anchor splitting the letters US... i have 3 or 4 of them because i like them... they remind me of the navy, which i served in for a couple of days... so any time i see one i try to pick it up...

recently ebay there was a merc with that counterstamp, so i set a snipe up for way more than the coin itself was worth as it had been bid up somewhat...

i didn't get it, but i was the underbidder at $27... the coin was only worth melt...

other counterstamps, such as the one you linked to, are cool (IMO) because they have a name... IF i were going to make an offer on it (i'm not), i'd probably go about $30-40... the host coin sans counterstamp and hole is probably a $70 coin, the counterstamp is neat and looks original (not recently done), but the hole really puts a damper on my interest... plus, at the moment i'm not collecting relatively common coins with just names or initials that have no connection to me...

i guess what it all boils down to is, to each his own and everybody will bid what they feel it's worth...

Message 10110 of 11,869
latest reply

@jesusrocks3339 wrote:

Hmmm.....xena-gabrielle-xena-warrior-princess-817471_850_679.jpg

Message 10111 of 11,869
latest reply