cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coinstar

Remember kids, always check the Coinstar machine when exiting the store.

Yesterday's haul, including a silver dime.

I was going to have the washer slabbed, but it appears to be "Improperly Cleaned".....

IMG_20220202_133615949~3.jpg

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Coinstar

@mcdcoins wrote:

I was going to have the washer slabbed, but it appears to be "Improperly Cleaned".....

doesn't look like it's early enough to have value over face anyway...

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Coinstar

For the right buyer that's l@@king for that last washer to complete their collection, it could be 'worth' $$$.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Coinstar

It is good to know that el Heron is NOT the only person that will pick up washers, along with coins & tokens.  

About 4 years ago there was construction underway at the nearby small shopping center.   During this construction period el Heron found 2 washers.  Two very large washers.  New washers.

Dimensions: overall diameter 2". Hole at center 3/4" dia. Thickness 1/8".

After about 4 years of sitting on office windowsill and corroding from the salt sea air, they are not very pretty.  However, they are great paper-weights!  

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Coinstar

Last year after depositing coins in the machine at my credit union to do a deposit, I found a coin or to held by the magnets.  If I remember correctly one was a Loonie. Was not my coin, but mine now. Finders keepers.  Now I have one more coin that I have no use for 😊

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Coinstar

When I was younger, I would check all the vending machines going in and coming out of stores.

Have a great day
Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Coinstar

In December 1961, el Heron was on a temp job delivering packages at

Christmas time.  Heron was in an Apartment/Hotel building in Los Angeles County and delivered

half dozen or so packages.  Then whilst exiting Heron checked the row of pay phones (Yes, there once were rows of pay phones situated in large buildings, train stations, airports, even police stations).  

One phone had about 6 Canadian 'Silver' Dimes in the return change slot.

Heron assumed that the phone rejected the Canada Dimes and the caller was frustrated and departed without the returned change.  Checking telephone coin return slots was great fun... never knew what we would 'find'.  Even a USA coin now and then.  

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Coinstar

I always check on the coinstar machine at my local grocery store. Every once in a while there is some loose coin in there. The best haul I got was a couple of years ago, someone decided to get rid of their foreign coins, which was accepted by the mahcine. In total, I got about 10EUR, 8GBP, 5CAD and other miscellaneous currency. I made good use of the EUR/GBP/CAD on subsequent travels I did. 

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Coinstar

That was "Once upon a time......."

Nowadays, pay phones are as scare as hen's teeth, dinosaurs rex, and a gas station where a human bean pumps your gas (except Nuevo Jersey). 😜

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Coinstar

A coworker and myself many years ago were tasked to haul a bunch of decrepit furniture to the dump.  This was from a waiting room at a service station. There was a large overstuffed easy chair in the assortment. When we picked it up, we heard it jingle. When we opened the bottom of it up, there was at least $20 in change, much of it silver.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Coinstar

Yes!  The telephone booth is a thing of the past!  Even some of us Alt-geezers now are packing Cell Phones.  Heron now has one.  The family decided it was time (due to advanced age) that Heron be 'tethered' and have available communications with family members in case of emergencies.   (Probably a good thing to have the cell phone because finding a payphone in or not in a booth is almost impossible).

However, some of us have those memories of long ago when we slept for several hours in a phone booth.  Yep, the memories linger.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Coinstar

Some folks have been arrested for taking stuff from reject tray of these machines????

Such technically is lost items, and belong to the person who did not clear the machine.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Coinstar

Ah yes!  That great 'jingly' sound of .900 silver coins is now just a memory.

el Heron always enjoyed the sounds of silver coins being jingled.  Heron also remembers those days in the 1950s when Heron could walk into any Banco in the USA and place a silver cert (or FRN) on the counter and ask for Silver Dollars.  Those were the good ol' days!  Actually obtaining Silver Dollars for paper Dollars. Now we get metal 'tokens' to use as Monnaie!

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Coinstar

phonebooth_4a.jpg

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Coinstar

I bought a 'get well card' at Walgreen's the other day. I gave the cashier 2 singles, a Kennedy half and 2 Lincolns. He had to call the manager over to eyeball the Kennedy to make sure it was legal tender.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply