cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay automatically charging buyers on auction wins & Make offers

I'm both a buyer and a seller on eBay and as both, I do not like the new system where buyers are automatically charged for each item they win in auctions along with postage FOR EACH ITEM!  Same thing when they Make An Offer and the seller accepts the offer as the system is not designed for a buyer making offers on a number of items.

There's one particular seller I bid on items of that charges $5 postage for each item.  When we win multi items from him, he combines the postage.  Usually, I win about 20 auctions from him each week.  With eBay's new system of charging my card right after each win, that adds up to charging me approximately $100 total for postage alone which the seller is already fed up with having to constantly refund each win for the extra postage and I don't blame him because I'm ticked off that all this was on my debit card.  How long before my bank gets fed up with all these multi transactions occurring and begins to charge for every transaction?

Because of this, I will no longer be bidding on any auctions sellers have.

As a seller, I'll continue issuing out the refunds for every postage eBay causes the buyers to have to pay but from the complaints I'm getting from buyers, they're already ticked off about this as well and will eventually stop buying.

eBay doesn't realize this new system will just drive buyers away ... including sellers who buy on eBay as well.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: eBay automatically charging buyers on auction wins & Make offers

Inform your seller that they can remove that requirement to add a payment beforehand. 

Tell them it is in seller hub under the Block Bidders section.

They can remove the requirement from Auctions and/or Offers.

Posting ID
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

I'm both a buyer and a seller on eBay...

@tvcollectibles 

As a seller, you can get rid of this on this page:

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Buyer Payment Requirements

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they place a bid.

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they make an offer.

eBay didn't bother to tell sellers that these things were placed on their accounts with the default set to YES.  They didn't work for the most part anyway unless eBay forced the BUYER ID into the program, too.  Now  buyers are being actively enrolled, and are being told IT IS THE SELLER that chooses this, as apposed to eBay chose it for the seller, and didn't bother to tell them.

Once your BUYER ID is forced into the program(s) there is no getting out until the SELLER realizes the consequences of those preferences.  Many think it is simply wonderful.  Those that use the BEST OFFER or AUCTIONS are wondering why they don't get offers or many bids, as these preferences discourage buyers that do pay, and buyers that want to purchase more than one item from the same seller. 

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

This is the message I've started to send to sellers whom I can now not send any offers to, because as a consumer I refuse to take on the onus of fixing a seller-security issue for eBay:

"Hello, I just wanted to send a message in order to inform you of the impact a recent eBay change has made to at least one of your potential sales. Your item has OBO activated, so I assume you are open to offers, however because of limitations imposed by Ebay's new default payment requirements (in my case, it does not actually allow me to use my preferred payment method) I am disinclined to submit any offers. As a customer, I am also disinclined to message back and forth with sellers to work out an exception, or instruct the seller on how to change their account settings for buyers. I am just moving on to another listing. I am informing you of this, because I think it is important for sellers to have real tangible data on the impact to their sales. I understand, truly, that non-payers are an issue, but if you review my feedback you'll see I am a very reliable Ebay-er, I am not blowing smoke. I staunchly oppose anti-consumer behavior and will not participate in its enforcement. Perhaps you like the policy, perhaps a single sale or the whiny customer writing to you makes no difference, and that is fine. But if you have had, or have in the near future, a noticeable decline in sales or interest, I would consider this message. Thank you for your attention, and I hope your shop continues to do well."

A lot of the sellers I messaged have sent me offers soon after - but the point is I already made the purchase elsewhere.  I play by the rules - I don't send multiple offers to different sellers for the same product at one time.  I pay an accepted offer in a timely manner.  The new policy is short-sighted and anti-consumer.  

Sellers, the problem isn't one note.  READ the complaints.  We're not on here because we just want more time to d*ck around.  As a matter of fact, sellers like to d*ck around just as much; you want the extended customer pool by setting OBO, but you don't actually want the experience of haggling, and you signed up for an auctioneer site with payment allotment times (equal to your shipping allotment, I will point out) but you don't actually want to sell to the types of customers this ecosystem pleases.

This requirement has made a lot of the buyer experience needlessly complex.  And, no, it does not operate the same as other retailers.  Any site I utilize an offer feature with, I still have to confirm the transaction before it actually processes, and none of my payment options are eliminated.  

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Thank you both for these replies as they are extremely helpful.

I see so many others defending the new "automated pay now" system and I agree, as a seller, that it's nice to be automatically paid ... but there are also so many flaws with it that needs to be considered:

* Buyers can not buy multiple items without being charged postage on each item.

* Buyers can not choose which card they want to put the charge on.  (Yes we are SOMETIMES asked ... but not always.  The last 2 auctions that closed on me was from the same seller and I never even received that screen telling me I'd automatically be charged where I could choose which card I wanted it on.)

I'm sure there are other cons to this as well and all they will do is drive buyers away.

For now, I will try that page that opts this out of my listings.  Thanks for your help.  🙂

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

I won an auction in the middle of the night. I did not get automatically charged. I paid it when I woke up. I also had to change which card I wanted to use. I guess my seller had it set up already...a seller from China.

I kinda like it. Keeps deadbeat buyers from using the auctions as a gambling source who never pay. Which means it will keep a lot of these buyers with no feedback bidding who really have no intention of paying up. 

By the way....I got a great deal on this auction!

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

I refund my buyers who have overpaid for shipping promptly, combine the orders into a single shipment and view the change to be positive, even though I have to do more work.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Jamesstamps- I don't think it's effecting International sellers or buyers yet as the shipping on those are too expensive as it is.

Also, you only gave an example from being charged on ONE ITEM.  Wait until you win several listings from someone and are charged postage on each one.  Hopefully, you'll have a seller who will comply with giving you the refund as there are some sellers who won't.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

A week ago I had multiple winning auctions...3 auctions...from 2 days. Seller sent me an invoice with discounted shipping immediately...

And I also had multiple auction wins from a USA seller with same case....but I had to ask for combine shipping.

Maybe only some buyers are getting hit with it? I don't know.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

I'm going to quit using ebay all together due to this new way to pay.  Depending on the amount I spend, I have to be able to choose how I pay. 

PayPal credit, pay in 4, or straight out of my bank.  Unless this changes I won't be using ebay.  

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

JamesStamps - That's because those sellers accounts haven't been hit with it yet.  The new system is still in the testing phase.  Eventually, you will be hit with it as it's effecting more and more sellers each day.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@tvcollectibles wrote:

eBay doesn't realize this new system will just drive buyers away ... including sellers who buy on eBay as well.

Ebay is certainly aware some buyers will downsize the number of items they purchase & some buyers will purchase elsewhere.

The loss in sales will likely be attributed to a poor economy by ebay cheerleaders.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

That's because those sellers accounts haven't been hit with it yet. 

@tvcollectibles 

The preferences that require an up front payment choice (that also prevents combined shipping) has already been placed on seller's Buyer Management Page.  The defaults are set to YES.   US Sellers "have been hit" already. 

It is not until the BUYER ID is forced into the program that the default to YES has any effect.   The seller is already in Default to YES to require it and remove the option to combine.  The Buyer ID must be enrolled as well.  Buyers have no choice, sellers still do, but were never told those preferences were added to their accounts. 

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Buyer Payment Requirements

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they place a bid.

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they make an offer.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

I'm a seller and I'm going to turn off the requirement. I think it's ridiculous and bad for business.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@hannahsdad13 wrote:

I'm a seller and I'm going to turn off the requirement. I think it's ridiculous and bad for business.

At you are being reasonable. Many sellers are not.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply