cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When buying, how to deal with rude sellers ?

So I recently ran into something I have never seen , a rude seller.

i had just bought a item around 12am and three hours later sent a proper cancellation form to him and explained the reason why, almost 15 hours later he sends me the most generic message ever saying “ hi item already shipped sorry...” remember this is 15 hours later after I sent in the cancellation. After a few back and forth messages and a message mocking me and blaming me that he already shipped and paid for the shipping and telling me it’s not his job to sit in front of his computer all day, and that he would try his best to stop it from shipping ( which Im sure he never actually shipped)

i have never had this happen before, and imo if you are going to sell on eBay you need to run it like a store. No I don’t expect you to be glued to your computer but you need to monitor your account ever couple of hours, not every 15+ hours. 

I would understand buying  an item and canceling it after it’s marked ship 10 hours later.

Debated hard about this and ended up giving  him a neutral feedback , but feels as I should have  done a negative. How do you guys deal with rude sellers ? 

Message 1 of 67
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 18 of 67
latest reply
66 REPLIES 66

I've never dealt with a rude seller; however, I've never canceled a transaction.

Cancellations by a buyer are a request. Sellers can accept or ignore them.

You can give whatever feedback your conscience will allow; however, keep in mind you bought an item from this seller and then, what? Changed your mind? And didn't understand that a seller doesn't have to accept a cancellation? And then got into a back-and-forth message war with him/her?

I'd imagine the seller is wishing s/he could leave something other than positive feedback for you, too.
Message 2 of 67
latest reply

this is a very large seller and chances are they are dropshipping and/or several people involved in the order process.  This very well means the order information was already sent to a shipping dept and hard to stop such process by the time someone read you wish to cancel.    Based on you feedback you did get a refund so they did manage to cancel and you still left a neutral.  No, I don't think you should have left a negative but personally I don't think you should have left the neutral either.  Should have just left nothing at all.  It all started with YOUR error that cost the seller time and some money.

if the seller contacts ebay they should be able to get the neutral removed since you did request to cancel

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 3 of 67
latest reply

“you bought an item from this seller and then, what? Changed your mind?” No I didn’t change my mind, I bought the wrong item and explained that.

“‘And didn't understand that a seller doesn't have to accept a cancellation?’

I do understand they don’t have to cancel. That is why I stated I would understand if I sent in a cancellation way late.  However, i do expect a professional reply in promt time not almost 15+ hours later and the most generic message at that. when ever I sold and item, I always check if there was anything needed before I actually shipped it .

And then got into a back-and-forth message war with him/her? ? Just repeating what I said 

“I'd imagine the seller is wishing s/he could leave something other than positive feedback for you, too.” Doubt it , since I wasn’t the one being unprofessional.

Message 4 of 67
latest reply

Yes I did get a refund , but the feedback left was due To his unprofessional attitude. 

Remeber you are running a business and should treat it like one. 

My feedback was honest and to the point. 

Imo eBay should not remove it, because it wasn’t a feedback to ruin their stats but a feedback that reflected their actions. As someone with so many sells I expect a higher degree of professionalism. 

Yes it was my error in buying the wrong item. I  can Guarantee that feedback would have been Positive.  If they would have acted in a on time/ professional manner. Even if they didn’t cancel/refunded me . 

And yes I should have left feedback , because feedback is not just for sells(even tho he canceled)but  feedback is about the professionalism of the store/person what ever it may be .

Message 5 of 67
latest reply

eBay will remove remove it for the simple fact that the cancellation was done at your request. That makes it removable.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 6 of 67
latest reply

@dannyboytexas wrote:

Yes I did get a refund , but the feedback left was due To his unprofessional attitude. 

Imo eBay should not remove it, because it wasn’t a feedback to ruin their stats but a feedback that reflected their actions. As someone with so many sells I expect a higher degree of professionalism. 

Yes it was my error in buying the wrong item. I  can Guarantee that feedback would have been Positive.  If they would have acted in a on time/ professional manner. Even if they didn’t cancel/refunded me . 

And yes I should have left feedback , because feedback is not just for sells(even tho he canceled)but  feedback is about the professionalism of the store/person what ever it may be .

well being rude is an opinion and I don't know what was said but I do know they did cancel and it sounds like it wasn't an easy request to accomplish thus as a buyer I would have left nothing and been grateful they honored my request when I am not actually a customer and only cost them money.   I haven't seen anything you said that seemed rude.  And I'm basing on if I think your being reasaonble on what youve said.  I already find your expectation on fast contact unreasonable so based on that I figure you expectation on them being rude likely unreasaonble too.

I find you expectation for timely response unreasonable because I don't consider a business who replies in 24 hours unprofessional or failing with customer service.  Again this is a large seller likely with many emails, orders, requests to deal with.  They likely could have even got your message and didn't reply immediately because they couldnt answer your question without contacting other people/depts for the status. 

you say you would have understood if they didn't agree to cancel but when the seller replied saying they couldn't because shipping process had begun you apparently didn't end there accepting that and responded still wanting to cancel. 

since you asked to cancel the feedback would be eligible for removeable whether you agree or not. 

Of course as a seller since its a neutral as a seller I likely wouldn't go through the bother of contacting ebay to remove it and I would just reply.    really it doesn't make the seller look bad but as a buyer for your left feedback....

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 7 of 67
latest reply

@myangelandmyprincess wrote:

@dannyboytexas wrote:

well being rude is an opinion and I don't know what was said but I do know they did cancel and it sounds like it wasn't an easy request to accomplish thus as a buyer I would have left nothing and been grateful they honored my request when I am not actually a customer and only cost them money.   I haven't seen anything you said that seemed rude.  And I'm basing on if I think your being reasaonble on what youve said.  I already find your expectation on fast contact unreasonable so based on that I figure you expectation on them being rude likely unreasaonble too.

I find you expectation for timely response unreasonable because I don't consider a business who replies in 24 hours unprofessional or failing with customer service.  Again this is a large seller likely with many emails, orders, requests to deal with.  They likely could have even got your message and didn't reply immediately because they couldnt answer your question without contacting other people/depts for the status. 

you say you would have understood if they didn't agree to cancel but when the seller replied saying they couldn't because shipping process had begun you apparently didn't end there accepting that and responded still wanting to cancel. 

since you asked to cancel the feedback would be eligible for removeable whether you agree or not. 

Of course as a seller since its a neutral as a seller I likely wouldn't go through the bother of contacting ebay to remove it and I would just reply.    really it doesn't make the seller look bad but as a buyer for your left feedback....

Yes it is unreasonable time, it all depends on the type of business, when your business is directly affected by time in almost every aspect, 15+ hours is highly unreasonable. I would not expect a fast reply in let’s say putting a request for a name change in which time is not a factor. 

And no I didn’t stop there, because of their attitude. 

Show respect get respect.  

Message 8 of 67
latest reply

You are flat-out rude when you asked the seller to cancel 3 hours after you purchased.

Cancellation requests need to be made within one hour of purchase. you wasted the sellers time effort and energy as well as the money that it cost for the listing, so you have no reason to complain about the seller being rude.
Message 9 of 67
latest reply

Debated hard about this and ended up giving  him a neutral feedback , but feels as I should have  done a negative. How do you guys deal with rude sellers ? 

I find it incredibly rude that you left less then positive feedback for your error.  But that's just me.

I saw that...

~KARMA
Message 10 of 67
latest reply

@dannyboytexas wrote:

So I recently ran into something I have never seen , a rude seller.

i had just bought a item around 12am and three hours later sent a proper cancellation form to him and explained the reason why, almost 15 hours later he sends me the most generic message ever saying “ hi item already shipped sorry...” remember this is 15 hours later after I sent in the cancellation. After a few back and forth messages and a message mocking me and blaming me that he already shipped and paid for the shipping and telling me it’s not his job to sit in front of his computer all day, and that he would try his best to stop it from shipping ( which Im sure he never actually shipped)

i have never had this happen before, and imo if you are going to sell on eBay you need to run it like a store. No I don’t expect you to be glued to your computer but you need to monitor your account ever couple of hours, not every 15+ hours. 

I would understand buying  an item and canceling it after it’s marked ship 10 hours later.

Was it right for the seller to be rude, no, but I didn`t see the communications between you and the seller so that really hasn`t been established. It seems you are suprised that a seller might display some emotion to having to do extra work for no benefit. Wait....the seller does benefit by not recieving negative feedback by acting like an emotionless robot with "yes, sir, right away sir, anything you want sir" answers, correct? Didn`t you state though that you don`t care for generic answers? Or maybe, possibly, you just don`t care for the answer "no"? Just don`t buy from them again and move forward.

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 11 of 67
latest reply

@dannyboytexas wrote: 

Some buyers merit being on a BBL

Message 12 of 67
latest reply

@anla-870 wrote:
You are flat-out rude when you asked the seller to cancel 3 hours after you purchased.

Cancellation requests need to be made within one hour of purchase. you wasted the sellers time effort and energy as well as the money that it cost for the listing, so you have no reason to complain about the seller being rude.

Item was bought at 12am and request sent at 3am, I doubt there is any local mail service that picks up mail at that time. Unless you’re a big business like amazon or Walmart .

so they had plenty of time to answer and not ship the item. They had 15+ hours to look and respond in time and can  guarantee  If they did all this wouldn’t have happened and they would have gotten a positive feedback, but I was I was instead met with unprofessional attitude. So yes I do have reason to complain.

Message 13 of 67
latest reply

@virtualwhimsy wrote:

I find it incredibly rude that you left less then positive feedback for your error.  But that's just me.

Rude or not , seller was unprofessional which was the main reason for the feedback. And like I keep saying, if I was give actual real Professionalism I would have gave a 5 start positive rating regardless of the outcome, like I have in the past. Imo they got the feedback that was earned. 

Message 14 of 67
latest reply

@dannyboytexas wrote:

@anla-870 wrote:

Item was bought at 12am and request sent at 3am, I doubt there is any local mail service that picks up mail at that time. Unless you’re a big business like amazon or Walmart .

so they had plenty of time to answer and not ship the item. They had 15+ hours to look and respond in time and can  guarantee  If they did all this wouldn’t have happened and they would have gotten a positive feedback, but I was I was instead met with unprofessional attitude. So yes I do have reason to complain.

Again this is a large seller who likely has multiple depts or drop ships so it is a seller with a big business that can make it hard to stop the shipping/order process

Message 15 of 67
latest reply