cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unclaimed payment. Update

The seller has responded. Their account was not linked to paypal. Now that it is linked the hourglass has not budged. The status is still an unclaimed payment. Now they have 2 confused members not knowing what to do. ugh!

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Unclaimed payment. Update

You should be able to cancel the payment from your PayPal

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I did cancel on paypal. I thought that ebay would do the same. Not at all. I still have the first transaction with the hourglass on my buying page while in the message I am being asked to pay for the item since < I committed to buy> but it won't let me pay  . I have sent the seller a cancellation request, asked her to relist if she is able to so I can purchase and pay for the item. It feels like one heck of a mess.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

For anyone interested, the OP piggybacked onto this thread to introduce his/her problem:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Bidding-Buying/Cancelling-a-auction-when-payment-is-pending/m-p/294752...

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@tcowan187 wrote:

I did cancel on paypal. I thought that ebay would do the same. Not at all. I still have the first transaction with the hourglass on my buying page while in the message I am being asked to pay for the item since < I committed to buy> but it won't let me pay  . I have sent the seller a cancellation request, asked her to relist if she is able to so I can purchase and pay for the item. It feels like one heck of a mess.

Hi @Anonymous, please have this little-known bug fixed.

- If a seller mistypes the PayPal email address, the payment is unclaimed.

1. If the buyer cancels the PayPal payment, eBay still shows payment pending

2. If PayPal automatically cancels the payment at 30 days, eBay still shows payment pending

- If you check this particular buyer's account, the buyer is unable to go through eBay Checkout again and repay because eBay still shows payment pending

- If you check this particular seller's account, because the payment was canceled,

1. the seller is able to open an unpaid item dispute despite eBay still shows payment pending, but

2. the buyer is unable to go through eBay Checkout again and repay

- eBay Customer Support cannot resolve this conundrum and will incorrectly advise the buyer to send a PayPal payment directly to the seller -- incorrect because: Still shown as unpaid, no MBG coverage, etc. Instead,

- the seller gets FVF credit, buyer gets a strike, and again eBay Customer Support cannot resolve the uptick due to the forgiven first UPI strike.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@tcowan187,

As I wrote on your original thread, Linking the accounts may not solve the problem, if the PayPal account is not set up or verified properly.  You may want to contact PayPal your self explain what has happened step by step, and find out why the payment is unclaimed so you can tell the seller.  (if you contact PayPal have the transaction number of your payment available)

You should ask the seller to cancel the original transaction, (at buyer's request), wait a day or so then relist it with a scheduled start time.  In the mean time cancel the the unclaimed payment on your PayPal account. 

You and the seller should agree on a time for the item to be relisted so someone else doesn't buy it out from underneath you. Keep in mind a scheduled start time for a listing will be on Ca. or PST time zone, so the seller will have to adjust the start time so it matches your time zone.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

OOPS,

I forgot that you also replied to a previous member.

"I did cancel on paypal. I thought that ebay would do the same  Not at all. I still have the first transaction with the hourglass on my buying page while in the message I am being asked to pay for the item since < I committed to buy> but it won't let me pay".

The two companies are no longer linked since they separated a few years back.

"I have sent the seller a cancellation request, asked her to relist if she is able to so I can purchase and pay for the item. It feels like one heck of a mess".

This is what can happen when dealing with a new seller. You are to be commended for being patient and trying to work with the seller though.  You may have to send this info to the seller so they learn how to cancel the transaction.

To cancel an eBay sale:
  1. Go to My eBay, then click on Sold and locate the item.
  2. In the More Actions drop-down menu, select Cancel This Order.
  3. Choose a reason for the cancellation and follow the on-screen instructions.
Dec 15, 2018

You can also tell them to do a google search for  "How seller can cancel sale on eBay?". or just copy the above to a message.  The light at the end of the tunnel is near, and it is not another locomotive headed at you.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ja-2149 wrote:

@tcowan187 wrote:

Hi @Anonymous, please have this little-known bug fixed.

- If a seller mistypes the PayPal email address, the payment is unclaimed.

1. If the buyer cancels the PayPal payment, eBay still shows payment pending

2. If PayPal automatically cancels the payment at 30 days, eBay still shows payment pending

- If you check this particular buyer's account, the buyer is unable to go through eBay Checkout again and repay because eBay still shows payment pending

- If you check this particular seller's account, because the payment was canceled,

1. the seller is able to open an unpaid item dispute despite eBay still shows payment pending, but

2. the buyer is unable to go through eBay Checkout again and repay

- eBay Customer Support cannot resolve this conundrum and will incorrectly advise the buyer to send a PayPal payment directly to the seller -- incorrect because: Still shown as unpaid, no MBG coverage, etc. Instead,

- the seller gets FVF credit, buyer gets a strike, and again eBay Customer Support cannot resolve the uptick due to the forgiven first UPI strike.

Hi @ja-2149, thanks for all the detail on this! I am happy to get this over to our our developers for review, but was wondering if anyone happened to have screenshots of what this looks like with a corresponding transaction as an example? If so, I will reach out via email for this information to include in my report. Thanks in advance!

Message 8 of 8
latest reply