cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accepted sellers offer, now he is not responding

A seller had four honda rims listed on ebay - I emailed him to discuss them and ask questions, and then he sent me an offer (350 for the four rims, and 4 dollars shipping - that is what was on his listing).  I accepted the offer, but have not paid yet.  I contacted him again and he has not responded all day.  He has zero activity on his sellers account - so I am guessing this is the first time he is listing something.   I am assuming he is second guessing his listing (including his shipping fee to send them), but I want to know if I can count on him honoring this listing, before I put the payment through.  Thanks for your advice - obviously super minimal Ebay knowledge here.........

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

You buy, you pay. Already done talking.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@shanemeister2016,

Well beyond the shipping cost, since this is a new seller chances are good they will run into PayPal's 21 day hold on the payment you send, and they will not know how to deal with it.

Unless you are willing to deal with issues, you probably should not buy from brand new sellers. 

"I contacted him again and he has not responded all day. He has zero activity on his sellers account - so I am guessing this is the first time he is listing something. I am assuming he is second guessing his listing (including his shipping fee to send them), but I want to know if I can count on him honoring this listing, before I put the payment through"

Most of the the lower volume sellers have full time jobs and families to deal with so give them some time to reply.  Don't be surprised if he doesn't want to complete the transaction with that very low shipping cost, once he finds out just how much it will be. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

He might be wondering if you can be counted on to pay or are you a non-paying buyer.  You see, things can be turned around depending on your point of view.

You have, I believe, a minimum of 48 hours from the time the offer was accepted in which to pay.  This is regardless of whether the seller responses to your communications or not.  That is why getting all questions answered before making an offer is important.  As it stands, the seller could file a UID after the 48 hours and you would be required to pay within 96 hours even if the seller failed to answer any of your messages.  After that time they could close the UID giving you a non-payment strike, if they choose.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

How did the seller make you an offer if the offer was the same thing in the listing? Making someone an offer would mean they offered you something different than the listing already shows, otherwise aren't you just agreeing to the original asking price and shipping?

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@kitschy*loot wrote:

How did the seller make you an offer if the offer was the same thing in the listing? Making someone an offer would mean they offered you something different than the listing already shows, otherwise aren't you just agreeing to the original asking price and shipping?

If I understand correctly, the negotiations appear to have taken place via messaging and the offer was the result of an offer/counter offer process.  I'm not sure precisely how close this would come to an off eBay transaction, but apparently the bots haven't tagged it as such.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 6 of 6
latest reply