cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

“Sending out the postal inspectors”?

So, I just received an order for a quantity of used stamps that was supposed to be 5 pounds worth, as written on the bag containing the items in the photograph, the item title on eBay, and the eBay detailed description.

The item arrives, seems very light, and I weigh the whole package (unopened) at 1 lb 12.5 oz., which is about 1/3 of the advertised 5 lbs. 

After submitting a return request through eBay, stating the advertised vs. actual weights with a photo of the package on the scale showing the actual weight, I received the following message from the seller: 

You should weigh it again I work for the post office and they weighed it for me. I can send the postal inspectors out if you’d like

This seems like such an odd response, I am at a loss. I feel gaslit, as I have weighed the package and the priority envelope couldn’t hold 5 lbs worth anyway, just based on capacity. In spending a minute on internet research, the seller doesn’t seem to work for the post office, either.

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: “Sending out the postal inspectors”?

PFRE label, as far as I know, does not display any weight.

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Tell the seller that if he sends the postal inspectors (sic) you will have Vito pay him a visit.

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

Take the unopened package to the local post office to file a complaint

or report to a postal inspector.

Bring along a copy of the message from your seller.

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

@ed8108 wrote:

Take the unopened package to the local post office to file a complaint

or report to a postal inspector.

Bring along a copy of the message from your seller. 

Why would the local post office or postal inspector have any purview that there's not 5 pounds inside the package?

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

OMG.  Just click on Return this Item, Reason Not as Described, Submit a picture of the package.  
You will receive a message from eBay telling you to expect a return label in the next 2 or 3 days.
In that message will be instructions on what to do if you do not receive a return label.

Message 20 of 22
latest reply

The seller has identified himself/ herself as working for USPS, & that the packaged was officially weighed by the post office, & by someone other than the seller

Clearly there are disputed facts related to the weight of this package entrusted into the care & custody of USPS for delivery

Seller has graciously offered to dispatch postal inspectors apparently to investigate and arrive at a determination with findings of fact to settle the matter.

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

Just return, get refund & move on. Picking fights with people is why everything today is where it is. You resolve a situation factually. There is/are no feelings involved. It's an object with no life. Unless you are the buyer/seller - you have zero stake in the situation. Stop clinging onto it.

Message 22 of 22
latest reply