cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

“Sending out the postal inspectors”?

So, I just received an order for a quantity of used stamps that was supposed to be 5 pounds worth, as written on the bag containing the items in the photograph, the item title on eBay, and the eBay detailed description.

The item arrives, seems very light, and I weigh the whole package (unopened) at 1 lb 12.5 oz., which is about 1/3 of the advertised 5 lbs. 

After submitting a return request through eBay, stating the advertised vs. actual weights with a photo of the package on the scale showing the actual weight, I received the following message from the seller: 

You should weigh it again I work for the post office and they weighed it for me. I can send the postal inspectors out if you’d like

This seems like such an odd response, I am at a loss. I feel gaslit, as I have weighed the package and the priority envelope couldn’t hold 5 lbs worth anyway, just based on capacity. In spending a minute on internet research, the seller doesn’t seem to work for the post office, either.

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: “Sending out the postal inspectors”?

If you filed a claim for "Not as described" then it's time to stop communicating directly with this seller.  That reference to postal inspectors is a hostile bluff.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Hopefully you opened an (INAD) Item Not As Described return request.

I would not go back and forth with the seller and if you do, keep it polite and to the point.

Keep everything you received together and wait for the return label to be generated from the seller. This can take a few days for the buyer to respond to your return request.

If you open a INAD return, you will be covered.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Stop communicating with the seller. Escalate your Return to eBay if the seller doesn't react in time. You'll be made whole.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

@seoke_72 

How to open a "not as described" case:

Go to your "Purchased" page.  Find the item which you had purchased.

On the right hand there are a column of blue boxes.  Click on "More actions," then click on "Return this item."

You will be sent to another screen -- click on "Doesn't match description or photos."

Follow the rest of the instructions.

Your seller will be required by eBay to send you a pre-paid address label for your return.

If the seller fails to send you the return label within the time stated by eBay, escalate the case through eBay.

You will either receive the pre-paid label, or eBay will refund you from the seller's account plus you will be able to keep the items, as well.

Good luck.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

I sell stamps.

5 pounds seems like a lot of used stamps.

Post office charges for weight of shipping plus size  and wonder what the cost of shipping was for seller.

Look at label to see the cost.

I would just return it to seller and ex-communicate with no more emails.

Item not as described...

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

That is ridiculous.  You received an item that is not as described.

Stick to your guns.  Be sure to return to your case and ask eBay to step in when it's time.  

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

You would return it to the seller without opening a case? Would you just be relying on the seller to refund? 

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Open a claim" item not as described"....was my last line.

I took speed writing and maybe you took speed reading...LOL

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Sounds like a PFRE  may have been used.  If memory serves, the label will not show the weight.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

speed writing with some of the words missing 🤣

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

And taking it...the shipping label...to a post office the post office couldn't tell the buyer? just a thought.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

I don't think that the weight is there..................  even in an encrypted way with a Flat Rate envelope label, but it could be. Thing is, if it was.....................  that does not mean that 5# of anything was put in the envelope after the label was purchased.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

I guess I have friends at the post office who can....

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Photo the label showing the weight. 

Message 15 of 22
latest reply