cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller sent counteroffer higher than original listing price, then changed the price?

Seller had an item listed for $45US. I sent a counteroffer for $35US. The seller then sent a counteroffer of $55US, higher than their original listing price. I refreshed the listing and they had then changed the listing price to $65US. Is this breaking any eBay rules?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Seller sent counteroffer higher than original listing price, then changed the price?

No, it doesn’t break any rules sellers can change the prices of their items whenever they like.

It only is against the rules if you made a purchase and the seller tries to get you to pay more than the listing stated. 

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Re: Seller sent counteroffer higher than original listing price, then changed the price?

Make a purchase from some other seller ?

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

As ebooksdiva stated, no, but...

Could it be they didn't want to ship to Australia during the holiday season? Thinking they should have that properly set up in their shipping policies, though.

Also, was the $45 an auction or buy-it-now price? If was a starting price for an auction, maybe they thought the price would go higher than the starting price (and then adjusted when they figured it might not)?

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Sometimes a price tweak, up or down, can help an item sell. I've listed stuff and when going through items later I have decided I listed it too low. Even, yes when responding to an offer. Then I change the price. If it is sold then it's too late. I accidentally lost 7 cents on an item that I forgot to include a $1 shipping charge on a couple weeks ago. So it goes, shipped it and remembered to double check going forward.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

It's kinda schmucky, but within the rules. 

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

$35 on a $45?  I wouldn't think your offer was an insult.  Then again, I don't what the item was.
     After your offer, A seller cannot counter higher than the listing price.  SO, in order to counter offer $55, they had to go change the listing to a higher amount ($65).
  If they thought your offer was an insult, that's a lot of trouble just to "snarkily" make you aware of it.

What I think happened is:  Your offer made them aware they had mis-priced their item too cheap.  So, they raised the price.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

After your offer, A seller cannot counter higher than the listing price. 

---------------------------------------

I could be mistaken, but I do not believe that to be a fact😁

SO, in order to counter offer $55, they had to go change the listing to a higher amount ($65).

-----------------------------------------------------

When a counteroffer has been sent the price cannot be revised until the offer expires, or is declined.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Was $35 your initial offer on the $45 item?

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

If you sent an offer to the seller on a listing on which he did not enable Make an Offer, he might indeed have decided he did not want you for a customer, and chose to telegraph that information.

Every detail left out of buyer seller interactions can make it hard to determine who is the a.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

No he is not breaking any rules. He did not accept your offer. You did not accept his offer he can change the price or remove it that is up to him.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Hi everyone,

This thread has been closed at the request of the OP.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply