cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammed by Seller of a Harley in Muldraugh, KY

Hello,
I life in Germany.

I have won an auction on Ebay USA for a Harley Davidson and wired the money to the seller. First this person did not reply on my emails or my phone calls and now he says he only received 500 usd and has send them back (both not true).

I have the driver license and the copy of the title of the bike. I also have the evidence for the wired money.

Seller is located in Muldraugh, KY

Can somebody help me ?

Kind regards

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Scammed by Seller of a Harley in Muldraugh, KY

Wire transfers are not covered by ebay on ebay.com. Are they covered on ebay.de?

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Yes, they are allowed on Germany when the seller lists the item there, but not when the transaction is on the .com site.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Are you sure it was really on Ebay and not someone just CLAIMING to be on Ebay? That happens a lot.  What is the Ebay listing number? If there isn't one, you didn't buy it here. I'm sorry.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Yes it was on Ebay.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

If it was on eBay, can you show us the eBay item number? 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

fa_8305
Thrill-Seeker

Your seller has "sold" the same Night Rod over and over again.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Based on a look at your feedback left for others and your bid retraction record, it appears that you have had some problems with sellers in the past.  I  would probably suggest that you scrutinize potential trading partners more in the future.

Admittedly I'm not totally familiar with eBay's rules on the German site.  I do know that Germany has some very strict consumer protection laws.  So I would recommend that you take your issue to the German Boards and perhaps you can get more relevant advice.   

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Greetings andrea7770_2

It looks like the Seller first sold this "2008 Harley-Davidson Night Rod" as a "Pickup only" auction on May 29, 2019 for $5,875.00 with 13 bids, but then relisted & resold the "2008 Harley-Davidson Night Rod" as a "Pickup only" auction (again) on June 13, 2019 with 17 bids for $7,679.00. Wonder if the "Pickup only" had something to do with this transaction since you are in Germany & they are in Kentucky?

You should contact someone at eBay Germany to discuss this transaction. There should be (?) some kind of link on your eBay.de main page. Glad to hear you "also have the evidence for the wired money." You said "and now he says he only received 500 usd and has send them back (both not true)."

Did you also try to get in touch with the agency you used to handle the wire transfer with and/or could they help you out? Hopefully they should be able to track everything. Good luck with a solution to your problem. 

~karlinfarm~

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@andrea7770_2,

There is so many things wrong with this transaction.

First you bid on a vehicle located in another country that was a local pick up sale.  The listing had a poor description. It did not say what custom parts were added and no photos of them. There was also no photo of the odometer proving the mileage mentioned in the listing was correct.   Once you had a copy of the title did you ask to have a photo sent of the vehicle identification number (VIN) sent? Did the address on the Title match the address on the driver's license?

2) If you paid the whole amount for the bike before having it inspected or appraised that was completely wrong.  What were you going to do if the bike was not as described, Send it back?  Since the payment terms said  full payment within 3 days of the end of auction. Why would you not have asked if the seller would accept a deposit, until it could be inspected?  Did you even consider getting the bike inspected and how to go about that? 

3) How were you planning to get the bike to Germany, and do you have any idea  of what the shipping and import fees would have been?

4) Sending money via wire transfer is not the way this should have been done. Did you investigate what if any protections you would have had by sending the money that way?   

I think all you can try to do now, would be to contact the Police in Muldraugh, and have them investigate the matter.  You have a copy of a title, and a driver's license and hopefully a receipt for the bank transfer.  Muldraugh is completely surrounded by  the Fort Knox Army Base reservation so Federal or Military Law may apply if any investigation needs to be done.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

hi karlinfarm,

sorry for my late reply, but i was on vacation.

where did you find all these auctions ( i just can see one on his feedback and not that one from 29th of march).

thanks for your help

rgds

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Did you get a refund on your wire transfer?

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Hello Andrea7770_2, Hope you had a good vacation!
Back on August 21, 2019 at the time when we did a "completed search" on your Seller (not to be named), the eBay results (shown here in the U.S.) showed a "Pickup only" 2008 Harley-Davidson Night Rod Pre-Owned auction was sold on May 29, 2019 for $5,875.00 with 13 bids. Since it's September now, that former listing does not show up either. All you do see now is that June 13, 2019 - 2008 Harley-Davidson Night Rod Pre-Owned sold for $7,679.00 with 17 bids. Pickup only. Think eBay only retains about 3 months of information, but who knows these days?
[Hope you did get this issued finally resolved & found an even better Harley. Happy trails to you!]
Message 13 of 13
latest reply