cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How did a seller get my phone number?

Bidding for this item is still active

Seller has texted me twice and called to leave a message about buying a truck off ebay.

How did they get my phone number?

Why is this person calling me repeatedly? It is creepy and harassing.

Again, this auction is still active.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: How did a seller get my phone number?

That makes it ok to call potential buyers for off ebay purchases?

NO.

Sellers are not allowed to make off-eBay deals.

Stop bidding with this crook.

If he will cheat eBay , he will cheat you.

Retract all your bids.

Report the texts and phone calls to eBay.

There is some information on scams here:

https://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter/

Or you could use the social media Chat reps to guide you:

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

The social media Chat accounts are covered by trained eBay employees with some authority.
And you get a transcript so you can compare what you heard with what you were told.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 24 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

How do you know it’s the seller on whose auction you’re bidding? 🤔 

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

it''sa easy to get phone numbers on google lately if you know the address.

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

eBay Motors Bidding Policy

When you place a bid on a vehicle in an auction or submit an offer for a vehicle using Buy It Now or Best Offer, you're entering into a transaction and subject to the rights and responsibilities of our User Agreement and User Privacy Notice.

Under the terms of such a bid, you are expressly consenting to share your information with your seller under certain circumstances and consenting to the seller contacting you about your offer on the vehicle or similar vehicles for sale.

eBay Motors sellers who are high-volume sellers have access to bidder information for all bidders participating in a particular eBay Motors transaction. These dealers may contact you about the vehicle you bid on or to discuss additional inventory that might be of interest to you.

eBay Motors sellers that receive this bidder information are only authorized to use this information for the purposes that you have expressly consented to, and are bound by the terms of our User Privacy Notice regarding the use of personal information they receive from eBay.

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

"under certain circumstances"

The auction is still active and noone won yet.

Why did they call me multiple times to offer it off of ebay?

They should not have access to my number if I did not win the auction.

Again, It is still an active listing.

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

"it''sa easy to get phone numbers on google lately if you know the address"

That makes it ok to call potential buyers for off ebay purchases?

While the auction is still going???

Absolutely not

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

Hi @bobjrdobbs 

As far as I know, car sellers pay eBay their fees before the auction starts, so contacting a buyer while the auction is ongoing is not a violation.

But I totally understand the 'creepiness' of being called by someone you were not expecting!  

[You will have to ask the seller 'why' they are calling.  I can't think of any reason.]

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

It seemed like the aforementioned seller called the OP because he (the seller) wanted to take the transaction off eBay.

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

It seemed like the aforementioned seller called the OP because he (the seller) wanted to take the transaction off eBay.

And there's nothing wrong with that in eBay Motors. Sellers pay all their fees upfront so eBay loses nothing if the sale is taken off-site. Actually the vast majority of eBay Motors transactions are completed off eBay because of the monetary limits of eBay-accepted payment methods. 

@bobjrdobbs 

It's important to realize that listings on eBay Motors operate differently than auctions on the rest of the site. Listing results aren't binding on either party. So it's conceivable that a seller would contact bidders attempting to negotiate a best price. In the world of eBay Motors that's perfectly acceptable. Even if you win the auction, if the seller's gotten a better offer either on- or off-eBay they can simply refuse to complete the transaction with you. And in eBay Motors that's perfectly acceptable too. You should also keep in mind that purchases on eBay Motors have a completely different buyer protection plan than the rest of the site.

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

Have you read the eBay Money Back Guarantee for buyers?

The seller already paid the insertion fee.

Vehicle sales are non-binding.

Motors has no FVF.

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

@soh.maryl 

just an FYI for you and anyone reading:

ALL ebaymotors transactions are OFF ebay.

NONE are ON ebay.

None are 'binding'.

The MOST you can get from a 'buyer' is $500 deposit. 

There is NO FINAL VALUE FEE for 'selling a car' so there is concern of taking it 'off ebay'. 

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

Yes, I have read that information, thank you.

Guess I missed the information in the OP's message that this was a truck.  

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

How did they get my phone number?

------------------------------------------

Some user ID's are somewhat cryptic. Some, not so much.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

Go to ebay and look at your messages in MY EBAY.   If he did a contact member search, he got your phone number but you also got his at the same time.  That is how you can get another person's phone #.  Ignore the phone callor answer the phone and tell him that now you are NOT interested in the truck at all.

Message 15 of 27
latest reply