cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How did a seller get my phone number?

Bidding for this item is still active

Seller has texted me twice and called to leave a message about buying a truck off ebay.

How did they get my phone number?

Why is this person calling me repeatedly? It is creepy and harassing.

Again, this auction is still active.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: How did a seller get my phone number?

By the way, is your name Bob Dobbs Jr.?  Or Robert Dobbs Jr.?  If yes, he got your name in Google or some other site that sells phone numbers for a buck or two. I highly suggest that you change your ebay ID immediately.  We live in an age of identity theft.   

Before someone tells me the same thing, there are millions of Rodriguez out there. It's the most common Spanish surname. I'm pretty safe.

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

"Vehicle sales"

I did not buy anything.

The auction is still active and ongoing.

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

I wouldn’t know, ask them. If their calls bother you simply block that number. 

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

@ms.rodriguez* wrote:

Go to ebay and look at your messages in MY EBAY.   If he did a contact member search, he got your phone number but you also got his at the same time.  That is how you can get another person's phone #.  

That member search no longer exists, sorry.

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

"ALL ebaymotors transactions are OFF ebay.

NONE are ON ebay.

None are 'binding'."

An offer is not a transaction however, it is merely an offer which can be null if somebody makes a higher bid.

Calling people to buy it when the bidding is not over is different. Even if it is a truck.

However

The questions still remains.  

1 - how did they get my phone number

2 - Why did they both text and call repeatedly?

Message 20 of 27
latest reply

I didn't know that. Thanks.

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

@bobjrdobbs wrote:

NONE are ON ebay.

None are 'binding'."

An offer is not a transaction however, it is merely an offer which can be null if somebody makes a higher bid.

Calling people to buy it when the bidding is not over is different. Even if it is a truck.

However

2 - Why did they both text and call repeatedly

@bobjrdobbs wrote:

NONE are ON ebay.

None are 'binding'."

However

2 - Why did they both text and call repeately

I was only referring to the 'REASON' that the seller may have been contacting you and that other members were stating "To Take off eBay"... which was inaccurate information as there is no 'off ebay' for 'motors'

I don't have an exact reason for you (how they got your number)  but my guess is either it's easy to get your name/phone from your name and/or this info is given to sellers on eBay motors when a buyer simply 'bids'.... (as it is on 'completed/paid for' listings)

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

@bobjrdobbs wrote:

2 - Why did they both text and call repeatedly?

@bobjrdobbs 

1 - From Reply #5 … it appears that eBay supplies that info to sellers of vehicles.

2 - My guess is that the seller is eager to make a deal … and may be calling more than one bidder (if there are more.

An auction is kind of a ‘prop’ for vehicles on eBay.  The seller can start negotiating with bidders whenever they want .  Perhaps the seller checked out your profile and thinks you look reliable.

I get the phone call is creepy … but apparently this is NOT an uncommon way of buying/ selling vehicles on eBay.  Respond if you’re still interested in the truck.  The price is still negotiable … and you’re NOT under any obligations to buy it until you SEE AND TEST DRIVE IT etc.

Letting the auction run its course would NOT change anything.

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

That makes it ok to call potential buyers for off ebay purchases?

NO.

Sellers are not allowed to make off-eBay deals.

Stop bidding with this crook.

If he will cheat eBay , he will cheat you.

Retract all your bids.

Report the texts and phone calls to eBay.

There is some information on scams here:

https://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter/

Or you could use the social media Chat reps to guide you:

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

The social media Chat accounts are covered by trained eBay employees with some authority.
And you get a transcript so you can compare what you heard with what you were told.

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

There are several ways a seller may have obtained your phone number:

1. Direct contact: If you provided your phone number while making a purchase, contacting customer support, or engaging in any form of communication with the seller, they would have obtained it directly from you.

2. Data collection: Companies often collect customer information, including phone numbers, through various means such as online forms, surveys, registration processes, or through loyalty programs. If you shared your phone number with the seller through any of these channels, they could have obtained it this way.

3. Third-party sources: Sellers sometimes acquire customer data from third-party sources such as data brokers, marketing agencies, or partners. These sources compile and sell consumer information, including phone numbers, to businesses for targeted advertising and marketing purposes.

4. Public records or directories: In some cases, sellers might have accessed your phone number from public records or directories where your contact information is listed. This can include directories related to business listings, professional associations, or public databases.

5. Privacy policy and consent: It's essential to review the seller's privacy policy and terms of service. If you agreed to share your phone number with them or their affiliates during the purchasing process or by signing up for their services, they may have obtained it with your consent.

If you are concerned about how a seller obtained your phone number, it is advisable to contact them directly and inquire about their data collection practices. Additionally, you can review your own privacy settings and preferences to ensure you have control over the personal information you share with businesses.

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

That makes it ok to call potential buyers for off ebay purchases?

NO.

Sellers are not allowed to make off-eBay deals.

Stop bidding with this crook.

If he will cheat eBay , he will cheat you.

Retract all your bids.

Report the texts and phone calls to eBay.

There is some information on scams here:

https://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter/

Or you could use the social media Chat reps to guide you:

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

The social media Chat accounts are covered by trained eBay employees with some authority.
And you get a transcript so you can compare what you heard with what you were told.

Once again, on eBay Motors sellers are absolutely allowed to make off-eBay deals. All transactions there eventually go off-site. Listings there are more like classified ads than regular eBay listings. The most any payment might be for a win there is the $500 deposit. The seller is not cheating eBay. All selling fees in eBay Motors are paid upfront. Now the OP has selected a best answer that's largely incorrect.

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

There are several ways a seller could have obtained your phone number. It is possible that you provided your number during a previous purchase or registration process. Additionally, sellers may obtain phone numbers through public directories, data brokers, or from other companies with whom you have shared your contact information.

Message 27 of 27
latest reply