cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Everything Now Retail Priced?

I have not purchased anything on e-bay for months because it's just too expensive.  It used to be the worlds biggest garage sale market for those kind of pre-sold items, but all have as 'brand new' prices. I used to Christmas shop to find those items one can only find on e-Bay to give as much desired gifts.

Stuff I used to search for and get bargains are now as much as new or more.  The greed is too much, especially when some tack on even more to the shipping.  I just looked at a listing for a lightweight (polyester scarf) garment that was over $8 for shipping and over $10 to start bidding. There's not excuse for that.  Before you come up with excuses why this might be so, consider how many similar listings I have seen to make me not want to shop here.

In my opinion, this is why e-Bay is dying.

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Everything Now Retail Priced?

And yet, over on the selling board, sellers are complaining things are selling too low and they can't make a profit.

:  shrugs :

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 2 of 30
latest reply

@plumcrzy71,

Timing often determines when you can get a bargain. Scarves (using your example) will probably sell for more just before the start of cold weather than, they would in July.  If the scarves you looked for,  were from a designers new line, they will sell for more when just released than a few months later because of demand. The prices may drop just before Christmas when the highr volume sellers/retailers start offering discounts. Also not every seller on eBay buys in bulk, and can pass the savings on to customers.

As for shipping costs, yes some sellers do add to the exact cost, because they have to purchase packaging materials. Depending on what they paid for the item, there may not be enough leway to figure the S&H costs into the selling price and charge the exact shipping  cost.

The shipping services have also raised prices, something sellers cannot control.  Many used to cheat just a little on package weight, to keep the shipping just below a rate increase. However, in the last year the USPS has started scanning and weighing to see if the package weight matches the shipping cost paid. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 30
latest reply

That "greed factor" is a two way street...  Sellers, wanting to make a top profit (which is WHY they are here) on their items, and moochie buyers, want to stea...  I mean, get items, at a low price.  BOTH want to put more money, back in their wallets.  So, tell me...  Who is worse?

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

Sorry, but I just don't get the "greed factor". What I do understand is sellers want to sell items for as much as they can get and buyers want to buy items for as little as they can.

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

There are still good bargains on Ebay, but that depends on your expectations.  With all due respect, I have read of sellers receiving offers of $10.00 with free shipping for a heavy item with $300.00 item price and maybe $25.00 in shipping.  Very unrealistic.  

Prices have gone up, shipping has gone up, those things all drive price.

Shipping is not just the shipping cost, since you mention tacking on to the shipping.  There are many expenses that figure into that cost.  Shipping is often more than a buyer can guess, so some seller may roll part of the shipping cost into the item cost to make the shipping more attractive, which results in higher item costs.  

But I  understand you are saying you have seen many listings like this and that makes you not want to buy on ebay, and that is sad, because there are SO many great things you can find here!  Especially for Christmas gifts as you say, as even pre owned can be gifted if in good condition.  

I hope you will not give up and that you find what you want at a price that is attractive to you.  Good Luck!

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

Actually, unless I misunderstand the term, all fixed price listings are online retail listings.  Of course, auction style listings aren't.  However, if this thread is comparing the seller's asking price to those of high end department stores, it bears reminding everyone that there is a wide variety of B&M retail stores ranging from the high street establishments to the discount retailers.  

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 7 of 30
latest reply

I just bought a nwt name brand fleece top originally $89 for less than $16 delivered to my house. I think you're not looking at the right things

Message 8 of 30
latest reply

Ebay may or may not be 'dying' but if it is it is because everyone wants a 'deal'. Sellers have to buy the item, they have to pay fees on the item, they have to pay for shipping supplies for the item, they have to pay shipping for the item to get it to you.There was a post where the op wanted a seller to mail 8 postcards in an envelope for 50 cents. They need to check up on shipping costs. The truth is if a seller can't make a profit, the seller can't keep selling. That is how selling works. You sell to make money. If you do shop elsewhere, I think you will find that prices are higher as well as shipping costs. But good luck. (You might try garage sales, sometimes at the end of the day there will be boxes of leftovers for $1.00 if you want to go there.)

CW4PWK--Taji,Iraq-42404
'They won't get it all, and they won't have it long.'

'You gotta see those creeps crawl...' Echo & the Bunnymen-"Crocodiles'
Message 9 of 30
latest reply

PLUMB...

You expect prices  lower than Retail---when you   buy brand new items on  Ebay???

I would never expect that for New items.  Smiley SurprisedI   like to buy high quality clorthing but  I canot afford  to   do  that--- on   for retail costs, on  Ebay--- or  anywhere else.   So  I pretty much always  look  the  Brands I love--  in  good used condition.  In fact I just  received a Sweater/Jacket made by  J.Crew  today  from  a  good  seller.   And I am so happy by  what I got.  This wool   item has a simple but elegant  design.  The item looks  completely new.   The  quality of the wool  that  was used  was exceedingly good.    (and I own a lot  of regular wool,  marino wool,  cashmere, etc.---so I am  very picky.  )

If for some reason  I was  willling to pay Retail for a  new item--then I  might go  to  Amazon.  I think  many of their new itrms  are at least  discounted  by a few dollars.thinking

It is for this type of  great clothing---that I come to  Ebay for.

Message 10 of 30
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

You may be able to find one from China for .01 free shipping, I am not lowering my prices any more and shipping is what it is . Any more lowering its not even worth  me selling on here..

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

Truth be told, the same internet that brought you ebay, also provides a wealth of information on the values of this, that, and the other thing... whether real or imagined.  There are sellers here, and everywhere else, who think they are selling liquid gold.  But as @castlemagicmemories stated, there still are a good number of deals to be found here.  If you're really looking to steal it, you might search some of the sleepy flea markets, hoping to find a vendor who has  no idea what they have.

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

I agree 8 dollars is too much of a shipping cost for the item you described so I would avoid buying it on that alone, I'm not so sure that is so much greed though it could just be idiocy, but it all depends on the what the item is really if I would consider that price outrageous or not we would need more detailed information, brand and age of the item and condition play a large factor.

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

You may not realize the costs a seller may have on a single transaction.

These are general, not pertaining to the scarf you mention, but even a scarf has expenses. 

Sellers pay 10% final value fees on the item AND the shipping cost.  Seller do not get to keep the shipping cost, the carrier gets that, but they still pay on it.

There is  a Paypal fee of around 3% plus 30 cents (2.9%).  

They may have listing fees or store fees.  They have packing supplies expenses, tape, magic markers, printer paper, bubble wrap, boxes, and possibly gas to and from the PO.  Time to pack up the item.  Then the cost of returns may be factored in.  

Many buyers are unaware of just how expensive shipping can be.  It is driven by distance, so the further you are from the item location, the more the shipping may be.  An item going from CA to NY would be more expensive than something going from CA to NV.  The days of one price to send it anywhere are long gone.  

I would say, don't give up the ship!  Keep looking~~bargains are here and may be found.  Good Luck to you!!  Don't give up on that Christmas List yet!

Message 14 of 30
latest reply

OMG! I did not say I was looking at new items. I am looking at a simple practically swatch of polyester sheer material that would go for a $1 or so at a garage sale or fund raising store, with the minimum shipping.  

I thought this was posting to a buyers forum, I purposely didn't post to a sellers area to avoid seller whining about stuff I didn't even say. 

All I said was that the prices of used merchandise (collectibles, for example) has gone to new retail and I am no longer interested in buying because of that. Some of the stuff I used to buy was from estate sales, where someone picks up a bunch of stuff for a song and I am looking for one specific item that to them, looks like an afterthought. I am not going to pay NOS prices for used stuff!

Some of the listings say they are new without tags items, but we all know that it's stuff they got off the clearance rack and are charging full retail for them. 

If you're going to have a business like this, then figure out buyers want a deal of some kind, or let's face it, you aren't going to sell anything. Show me a reason to buy from you when I can go and shop clearance racks on my own and not have to pay for shipping.  When there is a Make an Offer, I always come to an agreement with the seller.  I don't offer low ball amounts that waste their time. 

There aren't nearly as many listings for making an offer anymore.  And the cheap stuff is overpriced.

If you have a problem with what I am saying, maybe you are not understanding or you are in the wrong forum.

Message 15 of 30
latest reply