cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I do a chargeback

Scenario: I bought an item from a seller who doesn't take returns. In the time it took the item to arrive, I discovered I didn't need it, so I asked for a return which was denied.

May I do a chargeback to get refunded anyway? Or does this scenario qualify?

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can I do a chargeback

Hi @florences7073   When a buyer has a legitimate dispute, the order is first the eBay Return process, if eBay denies (which is actually not very likely), then the PayPal return process, if PayPal was used, and if all else fails, a credit card chargeback.

Credit card chargebacks are not automatic.  The credit card company does not automatically side with its customer.  The credit card company investigates and requires proof.  Many are denied.  

From the comment you left, it sounds like you get that you don't have a valid reason to return the item or pursue any of the return processes.  Good luck!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 22 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

you did not NEED it after you purchased it????

Some thing not right on this one.

As for charge back (payment dispute); your choice:

but you seem to be in the wrong on this one.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Simply list the item you bought & don't need for sale on eBay. You already have items listed for sale, so you know how to list. With luck you will get your money back out of the item &  maybe even make money.

To do a chargeback would be dishonest in my opinion. You ordered the item, you have the item, you have no grounds for a chargeback.

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.
Message 3 of 22
latest reply

@florences7073 

Why would you do a charge back, just you decided you don't need it now and you knew the seller doesn't accept returns?

I'm sure you'll make it on a lot of sellers favorite list.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 22
latest reply

@florences7073 wrote:

Scenario: I bought an item from a seller who doesn't take returns. In the time it took the item to arrive, I discovered I didn't need it, so I asked for a return which was denied.

As a seller what would you think with this???

You have been on eBay for a long time as both a buyer and a seller. Why this question??

Did a buyer do this to you??

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

That’s right, I don’t need it. It’s an honest question. I’ve never done a chargeback. Just want to know can I without judging.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Great. That's what I want to know. Do I have grounds? Thank you for answering. 

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

You don't have grounds.

The error was yours and ethically you should live with it.

No Returns does not mean No Refunds.

However, since this a straightforward case of Buyer Remorse, the seller does have the right to refuse both.

Why not dip a toe into online commerce and sell it yourself? You may even make a small profit.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

@florences7073 wrote:

That’s right, I don’t need it. It’s an honest question. I’ve never done a chargeback. Just want to know can I without judging.

You can try. It might work.

How long did it take you to get the item??

How much did the item cost??

Is it worth it for the time and aggravation involved??

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

As a seller I can tell you that chargebacks are often used by scam buyers to beat the ebay system.

You can always do a chargeback.....the credit card company will side with this.....you will get your money back and the item for free and more than likely be reported by the seller to ebay.

I do certainly understand that sometime you wind up not needing an item but also there is a certain amount of responsibility that the buyer has to own here.

Best way to resolve is to resell it on ebay by copying the sellers original listing.

HK

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

You do not have grounds just based on the opening post.  If the seller has a no returns policy they are not required to take a return or refund just because you discovered you don't need the item now.  

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 11 of 22
latest reply

@florences7073 wrote:

Why should the seller loose more money and probably the item just because you don't need it anymore?

Sell it.

Have a great day
Message 12 of 22
latest reply

In addition to losing their money and their item the seller will also be charged at least $20 for the chargeback. All because you bought something with a no returns policy clearly visible in the listing, then decided you didn't need it. Since you're also a seller I'm frankly astonished you would even ask this question.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

@florences7073 wrote:

That reason for a chargeback is fraudulent! You might end up without an ebay or a c.c. account! 

If you no longer need the item, sell it yourself. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Credit card providers offer chargebacks as a means of protection to their cardholders in the case of non-receipt or receipt of incorrect or damage merchandise. I don’t know of any CC providers who offer “didn’t want it after all” protection.

Also, please note that CC providers will file chargebacks for their customers up to a certain (undetermined) number. Do you really want to waste one on a fraudulent reason?

She ❤︎ Her ❤︎ Hers
Message 15 of 22
latest reply