cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After how many days must a seller give me a refund for non-delivered package?

Package was sent via USPS ground advantage.  The original projected delivery date was eight days ago.  USPS tracking shows the package bouncing around the Houston TX area for past 13 days.  I've opened two cases with USPS which obviously haven't helped.   I requested refund through eBay and seller responded that I just need to wait for USPS to deliver.  This looks like it could go on forever.  At what point is the seller obligated to issue me a refund?  The item is needed to do a repair in my home and I'd really like to just go and order it elsewhere and get on with it.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

"I requested refund through eBay..."

@bg74 

A buyer can't request a refund through eBay, but a buyer can open an Item Not Received claim (at least) one day after the Estimated Delivery Date on the Order. If the package is showing no movement, you can escalate the case to eBay for your refund, if needed... keep an eye on the case timeline. Good luck.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

You can request an item for a refund after one day of estimated delivery. 

It's easy to do....waiting for the refund doesn't happen overnight which a lot of people don't understand.

That money is tied up for a while. Money that you probably could use.

I also have tracking showing items in limbo land...never delivered.

If tracking shows not "delivered" after estimated day of arrival ask for a refund.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

If tracking isn't updating go to the USPS website and fill out a "find my package" form. That almost always shakes it loose!

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

A day after the estimated delivery date Ebay gave you, open an Item Not Received case.
Go to your purchase history and click I didn't get it in the menu next to the item.
The seller will have 3 days to provide a tracking number showing it was delivered or refund.
If they don't, return to the case on day 4 and ask Ebay to step in.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Thanks for all the responses.  Just to clarify, the USPS tracking IS being updated but it shows the package bouncing around the Houston TX general area between a few USPS facilities for the past 13 days.  Today it arrived at the same facility it visited a week ago.  FYI, I'm in California.  I opened an item not received request yesterday.  The only further options visible to me is to "ask eBay for help" if it's unresolved by Jan. 23.  And BTW, I've opened two cases directly with USPS but that seems to have accomplished nothing toward nudging the package out of the Houston area.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

I know they have been having issues at the Missouri City location in Houston. Don't suppose it's that one?

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Yes, that's the one it's been at twice.  I just Googled it and I now see that Missouri City USPS facility is fu-bar'd  ;-(

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Its not the ebay Sellers fault.

I'm still waiting for some items myself about the same time you described since I ordered them.

Something is going on with USPS in regards to upgrading distribution and sorting facilities.

Its not just in Texas. ☹️

Try to get a hold of your ebay sellers and see if you two can work together.

You may need to be patient. 

Hope you get your item soon.

Thank you for reading.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

There definitely is a misrouting problem in the Houston area.

A where's my package case to USPS could help a lot of us.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

If you've already opened an INR case, all you need to do is wait the required time, then return to the case and ask eBay to step in so you can be refunded.  You have 30 days after last estimated delivery date to open that case.

Given that there evidently have been acknowledged issues with that PO, you may want to give it a little more time, keeping that 30 day deadline in the back of your mind.  

Please read the MBG.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Yes, the Missouri City facility is brand new and it was on the news that packages are being delayed there and it may take extra time for packages to be delivered.  The reasons for delay were not clear, but it was said that the facility is new, the technology is new, and I believe the staff had to go through the training so I guess those are possible reasons for delay.  A buyer should wait a little longer before filing a claim. 

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Open an Item Not Received case on eBay.

That is all you need to do.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Did you or the seller fill out the online form at USPS website to locate the package?  If you or the seller did that, the tracking should show something like "Package Research" Usually, once you fill out the form or call to talk to someone at USPS they usually are able to locate the package and then its on the way to the destination.  

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

@bg74 wrote:

Package was sent via USPS ground advantage.  The original projected delivery date was eight days ago.  USPS tracking shows the package bouncing around the Houston TX area for past 13 days.  I've opened two cases with USPS which obviously haven't helped.   I requested refund through eBay and seller responded that I just need to wait for USPS to deliver.  This looks like it could go on forever.  At what point is the seller obligated to issue me a refund?  The item is needed to do a repair in my home and I'd really like to just go and order it elsewhere and get on with it.

Once you open a INR case the seller usually has 3-4 days to address it, if tracking shows movement in the last 10 days can call ebay and a CSR can put the case on hold for an additional 10 days. After that you should be able to escalate the case and get your refund.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply