eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

Russel Wright / Conant Ball Furniture

Trying to do research on some Conant Ball furniture and surprisingly find very little on the subject. Evidently, Wright designed the "American Modern" line in the late 1930's, but I'm wondering if all Conant Ball maple furniture through the early 1950's is Wright designed. Anybody?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to coyteetrader
NO!!!...funny this subject has been debated for years with Russel Wright collectors. Ann Kerr who wrote the RW collector books added the Modernmates line because she was convinced it was designed by him. Recently we (Russel Wright discussion group on AOL Listserv) have unearthed the designer who did the latter modern Conant Ball furniture. I can't remember who it was but it's not RW. At this point the only Conant Ball furniture that we are certain he designed is the American Modern line. Kerr adding those additional pieces in her books has caused alot of confusion here on Ebay. Also be aware of the fact that the American Modern line is back in production. Any futher questions and you can e-mail me privately.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to coyteetrader
Thanks very much for the info. I suspected as much, but really struggled to find anything on Wright's days with this furniture company. Conant Ball furniture seems to be very well made and their 30's/40's/50's era offerings are very cool, Wright designed or otherwise.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to coyteetrader
I have 3 early american Conant Ball spindle back chairs, does anyone have an idea of value?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to coyteetrader
Evidence has been found that attributes the ModernMates line to Leslie Diamond. No tother information has been found on the subject that I am aware of.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to coyteetrader
Hi, I have recently purchased a really lovely vanity which has the Conant Ball brand in one of the doors ... features angled pedistal base and a very nice sliding make-up tray in smokey/black glass - has a huge mirror.

Would love for someone to look at pictures and see if you think it is Russell Wright.

RicRakRoz
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to coyteetrader
Actually, photos aren't needed. All of Russel Wright's pieces for Conant Ball included his name in the branded mark. if you'd like to post photos, I (or someone else here) might be able to tell you more about the line, and possibly the designer.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to coyteetrader
Where can you find a good research center for Conant Ball furniture.
We have a maple trussell table and 4 chairs. Stamped on the bottom of the chair of course is conant ball furniture with the number 3406 2183.
Can anyone tell me what the numbers mean and any value?

Thanks
Katy Texas
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to coyteetrader
Hi, Also trying to do some digging-have acquired a piece of Ball furniture-looks earlier than Wright-very colonial looking-think it's a sideboard, maybe a wash stand with one long drawer-not modern looking at all. It is held together with wooden dowels and glue. Can't seem to find any other pieces that are similar in nature. I would like to refinish it but afraid it might reduce its value if it is indeed worth anything. Any ideas? Will send a pix if need be. Happy New Year all.....Donna
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to coyteetrader
Was reading the recent discussion about Russel Wright furniture and thought I would make the following clarifications:
For what it is worth....the early 30's furniture by Conant Ball is by Russel Wright, the rest, the later furniture including the Modernmates, are not. He did design other lines as well such as for Heywood Wakefield, Statton Furniture Company, and Samsonite. Finally, just because it has a stamp that says either Designed by Russel Wright or just American Modern on the Conant Ball furniture does not necessarily guarantee it to be by him.
I hope this helps.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to coyteetrader
NEED HELP. 2 QUESTIONS. 1ST--I HAVE FOUR CHAIRS WHICH A LABLE ON THE BOTTOM THAT SAYS --MADE BY CONANT BALL CO. GARDNER, MASS PIECE # 7461 VENDOR HOMAN'S.
2ND -- I HAVE ONE BARREL STYLE LEATHER CHAIR ON WHEELS (I DON'T THINK THE WHEELS WHERE ORIGINALY ON) ON THE BOTTOM IT HAS A LABEL "MADE BY BARNARD & SIMONDS COMP. GRAND RAPIDS, MICHIGAN.

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT THE VALUE OF THESE CHAIRS MAY BE? I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT. THANKS. ROSE
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to coyteetrader
TO CORRECT MY PREVIOUS ENTRY --VENDOR NAME IS HOLMAN'S- AND I APOLOGIZE FOR MY SPELLING ERRORS!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to coyteetrader
have a four(low) post double size heavy bed with large ball finials that is supposed to be Conant Ball...it's dark pine and the foot board has little oval brass pine tree pics which could represent a Vermont theme -- any input?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to coyteetrader
I have a Conant Ball dining room set. It is rockwood maple, "swing leg" drop leaf, with two extra leaves. Opens up to a very large oval table, which seats 10-12. I have four side chairs and two arm chairs and matching hutch. It all says Conant Ball 1852. It is HEAVY. Built to last another 200 years!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Russel Wright / Conant Ball Furniture

in reply to coyteetrader
Did you ever find out who the designer was on your pieces. I have an end /side table that is nice and has the same insignia and number as your pieces. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to coyteetrader
I just bought a drop leaf table with 6 chairs with the same 1852 markings. Does anyone know anything about it?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to coyteetrader
Hello! I have three Conant Ball pieces ca. 1964, which appear to be very similar, but not identical to, to the ModernMates collection, (which I understand NOT to have been designed by Mr. Wright).

However, I would still love to find out more about their history and ballpark auction value. As a comparison, the ModernMates pieces seem to have short 3-4" tapered legs, whereas my legs are straight and about 6". My pieces (a highboy, lowboy with large 3'x4' mirror and nightstand all have 5"x1/2' bronze, rectangular pulls, frameless drawers and a medium brownish/orangish waxy finish...

Thanks for a fun sleuthing opportunity---
S. in Massachusetts
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to coyteetrader
fiestyoneiam,

Did you find out anything about the table and chairs?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to coyteetrader
How can one be assured that Conant Ball furniture marked with the American Modern stamp is by Russel Wright? Is there any definitive catalog or research source? Thank you.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to coyteetrader
Just saw this on Nashville Craigslist. Thought someone might be interested.

"Russel Wright first began at the age of 30 to design 60 pieces of furniture for Heywood-Wakefield Furniture Company. These items were sold at Bloomingdale`s and were marketed with rugs, curtains, lamps and accessories all designed by Russel Wright. This was 1934 and marked the first offering of coordinated mass produced home furnishings ever created by 1 designer.
In 1935 Russel Wright contracted with Conant Ball Company to produce American Modern. A solid maple line of furniture, it was an instant hit. It was offered in 2 finishes, a natural unstained finish Russel and Mary dubbed blonde and a reddish stained maple. This line was the first solid maple, blonde finished furniture of modern design ever to be produced.

In 1949 a later line called Modernmates/American Modern was produced offering eight various birch finishes designed by Russel Wright
A vice president of Macy`s said in 1938, that this line was the most successful ever carried by Macy`s, whether traditional or modern. "
Please use plain text.