eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

rain777blue
Community Member

Please help with KW for this brooch/pin

Hi I need you help with KW's for this large 2-1/2 inch heavy silvertone, marcasite, and rhinestone bird and flower brooch?

PA220014.JPG
Please use plain text.
rain777blue
Community Member

Re: Please help with KW for this brooch/pin

in reply to rain777blue

this is the back, it has a tecture, however the metal finish on this brooch looks like rhodium or something very shiny..

PA220015.JPG
Please use plain text.
bucks4buddy
Community Member

in reply to rain777blue

I think this is 1928 jewelry from the design on the back. I would surly mntion bird on a branch as those key words do well.

Please use plain text.
rain777blue
Community Member

in reply to rain777blue

Thanks bucksfor buddy I never would have thought of 1928 jewelry it is not signed? and the marcasite are real, not fake bumps? does that make a difference?

Please use plain text.
1940fc
Community Member

in reply to rain777blue

Yepper..it is indeed 1928.  They don`t sign their items..the swirl markings are bout the only way to ID it.  They are noted for their Victorian look items. I havent looked at any new stuff lately..unsure what they are doing now. Guess I need to pop in a dept store to see!

~~~Sarah~~~
If you haven`t grown up by age 50, you don`t have to!

Please use plain text.
bucks4buddy
Community Member

in reply to rain777blue

If you look at 1928 jewelry with marcasites they are listed as faux, I believe the kind like colored rhinestones if you get my drift?

Please use plain text.
old.crows.nest
Community Member

in reply to bucks4buddy

I think that marcasites are a common stone so these could be the real deal. When I think of Faux I think of the mold formed marcasites. Maybe "marcasite cut" stones could worK? If you had a way to test I wonder what marcasites would test at since they are a pyrite stone? Also, I cannot tell for sure but does the bird have a clear cab for an eye? Might be good to mention that in the listing.

-----------

photo imageelfhollycup.gif
Please use plain text.
bucks4buddy
Community Member

in reply to rain777blue

I just looked up the info and it states "simulated" and "imitation" for use of stones and pearls...how the heck do you let people know where to lok at the information if you can't use a link??? 

1928 JEWELRY: 1968 - Present

The 1928 Jewelry Company was founded in 1968 by Melvyn Bernie in Burbank, California creating finely detailed fashion jewelry, replicas of vintage jewelry drawn from a wealth of antique designs. It is producing modern replicas of the most beautiful and exquisite jewelry of past years with vintage details and fresh interpretations designing necklaces, bracelets, pendants, earrings, brooches and pins, and hair accessories for exceptional value and the price conscience consumer.

The 1928 Company also designs rosaries, jewelry boxes, key and fob chains that have beauty and are significant to the originals of days-gone-by with the use of the company’s expert skills at producing new items that are profoundly and spiritually unique including the Vatican Library Collection of jewels. Their jewelry designs contain bases of silver, gold and brass metals with crystals, simulated colored stones and pearls including mother-of-pearl and imitation colored gemstones and beads. Their product line includes one of Christian-oriented jewelry and gifts. Mark: “1928”

Most recently, the 1928 Company has introduced a new brand 2028 into their family. It was developed as an exclusive line for Macy’s Stores that will feature more fashion forward designs with the choices containing premium quality components honoring “every woman’s exclusivity” from the rich to the middle class consumer, and for those who want and desires the today’s fashion look of fine jewelry. Mark: “2028”. 

The 1928 Company is a privately held company that has unique familial feeling towards its employees. They successfully contribute to their employer and assist in the company’s business success which comes from design inspirations from the past in this ever changing development of the fashion world as we see its expansion to new horizons. The 1928 Company is still in business in 2006.

Please use plain text.
cleio
Community Member

in reply to bucks4buddy
real marcasite is very fragile from what Ive heard, and its easier for companies to use mirrored rhinestones...still better than the "fake bumps" tho! :smileywink:
Photobucket
isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit
Please use plain text.
old.crows.nest
Community Member

in reply to cleio

cleio wrote:
real marcasite is very fragile from what Ive heard, and its easier for companies to use mirrored rhinestones...still better than the "fake bumps" tho! :smileywink:

:smileyhappy:

So, "simulated marcasite cut" might be good instead of faux :smileyhappy:

-----------

photo imageelfhollycup.gif
Please use plain text.
rain777blue
Community Member

in reply to rain777blue

Thank you all for the great information.. AND the link on 1928 jewelry.. The eye of the bird is just another marcasite thing. and the mirror back rhinestone sounds good, This may sound funny, but the real stones are scatered and appears to have shiny bumps between the actual stones. it is a well made piece, but thanks again I think it is 1928 item or at least 1980 . I have not purchased anything for at least 10 years, I know my sister-in-law used to bring over items she said were from 1928, and I would tell her that was a Company and not the year it was made. Well I never bought anything from that Co. because I strictly stayed with Vintage Estate and older items. I know she did, and I inheareted (sp) all of her collection as well as my mother-in-laws about 10 years ago.  Thanks again everyone:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
figtree3
Community Member

in reply to rain777blue

Not sure if this has been mentioned,  but 1928 Jewelry Co. often had paper hang tags/dangles, but if those are gone, the swirl on the back is the best way to ID them.

Fig

----------
Current avatar: Actress Mary Anderson, cabinet photo by unknown photographer.
Please use plain text.