eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop now
Community Member

United States Air Force PILOT ring

I was metal detecting in one of my favorite Michigan lakes yesterday and came up with a pilots ring. I would love to find the owner or owners heirs and return it to them.

It is a mans ring with a large oval ruby on the top. Around the ruby it says United States Air Force. Below it is says * Pilot *. On one side it has an eagle and then a shield below it Below the shield is the roman numerals MCMXLVII, which is 1947. On the other side is a shield with wings, a scroll with 55.N The dot is in the middle. Under that is a star with wings. Any help?
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to phillipsln
Sounds like a class ring for a pilot in class 55N from 1947. A photo at this point might be helpful.
-
deradler1

Der Adler Military Artifacts
German Military items
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to phillipsln
My digital is broken. I will try to borrow one soon. The ring is in excellent condition. Hardly a mark on it. Thank you for replying.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to phillipsln
Hi

I hav just bought a very similr ring to the one you mentioned. It has the same date and script etc except that it has a 55.T instead of 55.N. It also has a green stone not a red stone. I bought it at an auction in South Africa two days ago

What have you done with the one you found? Have you got a pic of it?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to phillipsln
Yes here is a picture. The pilot died in 2002. It went back to his widow.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to phillipsln
NICE!
Hey You....................................Who Me...
Please use plain text.
richarde13
Community Member

in reply to phillipsln
USAF was formed as a separate branch of the military on September 18, 1947.[3] It was the last branch of the U.S. military to be formed.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to phillipsln
Richard is correct about the 1947. I think it refers to the year of inception of the independent U.S. Air Force. Class numbers consist of a numeric indicate for the year and individual classes are indicated alphabetically. So class 55-N refers to 1955.

I don't know how many bases were used for undergraduate pilot training then but I've found a class roster for class 55-N at Reese Air Force Base: http://www.w9fz.com/reeseafb/class55n.html
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to phillipsln
Phillipsin, how did you locate the family?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to phillipsln
The roster has my pilot on it. William R. Hurt. His name is inscribed on the inside.

How I located the family. That is a loooooooong story.

I went to the Spense Air Base web site and posted a notice on their guestbook. I got a reply from a person that was Bill's best friend. He knew Bill's service number. I wrote to the USAF archives and waited and waited and waited. I even let them know what I was trying to do and asked them to contact the pilot for me. I recieved a NASTY letter back accusing me of trying to invade his privacy!!

I then had a reffrence number and gave them a call. The only thing they were able to do is give me a number to the VA office. The person on the phone was able to give me the information that he died and a benificary. I was able to track her down because she still lives in his last known address.

I have tracked down the owners of 12 class rings at the moment abd I still have 19 in my posession. I find them underwater with a metal detector.

Unfortunately, I will never know how Bill lost his ring in a lake near Pontiac Michigan. He never mentioned the ring to his second wife or his children.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to phillipsln
I wish you lived in Arizona. Back in 1960 I lost my (now) husband's class ring at Saguaro Lake. I'd always thought I'd lost it in the sand, but the water makes more sense. Maybe someday I will be able to get it back for him. Back then, we wrapped angora yarn around it to make it fit a girl's finger.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to phillipsln
Really great one, also its good that you stay honest and return the ring to the widow.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to phillipsln
Well I like to return rings. I have returned 12 so far and I have 19 more in my possession that I am trying to locate owners to.

BUT, there are two sides to every coin. If I find a ring it really is mine. I love to return the ones I can just to hear the stories on how they were lost but a lot of other detectorists keep everything unless they are looking for one for somebody. It took almost a year of time trying to track the family down. I have returned a few rings after doing a lot of research and mailing them at MY expense without ANY kind of compensation. So not only did I spend time and money finding it, I called schools, people with the same last name in the area, looked through sabasearch on the net and tried and tried to find somebody. I find them, mail the ring back at my coist and I get NOTHING in return. That has happened with a few of them.

I am saying I don't think the word honnest is appropriate here. I do what I feel is right and I have friends that keep everything and they feel they are right. I will not judge.

I have been in our local paper twice, Channel 2 news in Detroit once and a paper in York Pensylvania because of my chosing to return them. But I have found thousands of dollars worth of ones I couldn't return.
Please use plain text.